“Very pleasant hotel in a good neighborhood.”

Antigua Miraflores Hotel
Ranked #34 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Houston, Texas
“Very pleasant hotel in a good neighborhood.”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip to Iquitos and the Amazon. The staff was pleasant and helpful, there were computers with free internet, rooms were comfortable and clean. We were desperate for quick laundry service and they provided it beautifully. Breakfast was very good. It's located about 3 blocks from a main thoroughfare, and very quiet with good security. There's an excellent small restaurant on the corner and lots of other restaurants and stores within easy and safe walking distance. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Royan17200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
maywood
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed with my other half, the Hotel is beautiful, with elegant rooms. Felt very secure at hotel, even walking back from the Discoteca "club" at 2AM in Miraflores Complains, had bad experience with the weekday staff and breakfast taking FOREVER.

Room Tip: construction currently being done, prepare to be awake around 8AM due to banging
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ldogescalade
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My 22-year-old daughter and I spent a couple of nights here at either end of our Peru trip and we would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. It is a small, "boutique"-type hotel with charm and efficiency. The room was clean and comfortable and the price was right. The restaurant even accommodated our very early morning departure (4:00 a.m.!). The location was great -- a lovely residential neighborhood. The surrounding area seemed perfectly safe and we just used taxis after dark as we would in most any city. The staff was extremely helpful and we appreciated the two computers that were available to guests. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Lima after experiencing the Antigua Miraflores.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelingTeacher59
USA
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My tour operator booked me into this hotel for one night on the front side of a five-day tour of the Amazon and then two nights after I returned from the Amazon. The first night my room was down a dimly lit hall with the rooms on both sides of me undergoing construction. The room was adequate size, lacking any warmth. A car alarm went on and off all night along with motorcycle noises. Due to the construction the sounds were amplified because there was no carpeting. There was no safety latch on the door and no additional lock on the inside. The tour group left very early the next morning and some of the hotel guests did not receive their promised wakeup call. Because of this we almost missed our flight to the rain forest. I told the the front desk I did not want any room in the vicinity of my first room when I returned. When our group returned five days later, I was given a room in the portion of the hotel with four floors. At 04:30 water started dripping on my head and two other locations in my room. (It was not raining outside) I didn't get anymore sleep that night. Once again, there was no safety lock or a secondary lock. The door frame was not square so the door did not fit snugly. When I requested still another room I was told that no other rooms would be available that day. I informed the front desk that I knew of two people who were leaving that morning and I would be happy to have their room. I was told the room was already reserved by someone else. I told the front desk that when I returned from my tour of Lima, I expected another room. The third room was much nicer probably because it was in the part of the hotel that is shown on the brochures. Another car alarm went off almost all night. It did have a safety lock. There were no fluffy robes or towels and most of the towels had multiple holes in them. I only ate breakfast there which was average and was included in my tour cost. On my last night I requested a 03:30 wake-up call for a very early flight - the call came at 03:00.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in this hotel, insist on a room in the very front part, near the street
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Visitor_Paris
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I came here in June 2011 with my husband and 6 other family members with Gate 1 so we certainly got the gammut of rooms available.

The hotel is lovely looking from the outside. The artwork inside was beautiful (and for sale!) and we felt very safe here. Staff was friendly and we bothered them many times to make dinner reservations, call taxis, and get maps. They put up with us when some members in our group needed to switch rooms (ie different bed configurations) and brought us fans when some didn't work. There are 2 computers in the lobby for free internet and if I recall, there was free wi-fi as well. They have water dispensers on each floor and provide a jug of bottled water in the bathroom for teeth brushing which was a nice touch.

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip so had 2 different rooms. The rooms my husband and I had were older, but large. The first had a sitting area complete with microwave, fridge, and dishes (we didn't use any of them). The second also had a fridge and even a hot plate! However as the older rooms go, it had a very musty smell so we had the fans on and the windows open the whole time (some of my family complained of noisy/non-working fans in their rooms). My mom also switched out of a room on the top floor which she described as an "attic" with exposed beams and very hot.

I did get to see another RENOVATED room and felt so cheated with ours! Brand new carpeting, crown molding, new furniture and tv and totally updated bathroom with one of those sinks that "sits" on the counter. Perhaps you can request to get an updated room!

The biggest downfall of this place is the BREAKFAST. We were a group of 90 people and as this is a Gate 1 hotel, you'd think they'd be used to accomodating the crowds. Sadly no. The seating area fills up very quick and our first morning we had to eat breakfast in the lobby. I was pleased to see they offer a menu of 8 or so items from scrambled eggs to tamales but in the end, I wish it was just a self serve buffet. They are just not accustomed or accomodated to serving a large group. There is only 1 girl who (inefficiently) takes orders and can communicate in English. There are maybe 2 other ladies who try to bring out the bread, oj, and coffee and attempt to serve the food except I suspect they were bringing it to the wrong tables. They also bus the tables. Honestly I felt bad, they would run out of silverware and we'd go to the kitchen to get some and they were handwashing them. Numerous folks had to get up and go to the kitchen to get bread or butter or coffee. Breakfast takes a MINIMUM of one hour and don't take the back table or you will never get served. I saw a table get up and leave after waiting an hour for their food (and we're just talking simple b-fast like scrambled eggs). At some point people just took whatever food was coming out whether they ordered it or not and you can forget about your side of bacon! I heard they were going to expand their breakfast seating area but PLEASE, just go to BUFFET style!

Moving along, I recommend going down the street (turn right out of the hotel) and go one block and there is a nice pastry shop (with empanadas) there that is very cheap! I think they also serve sandwiches and drinks. Perhaps you can go here for breakfast instead of the hotel. Keep walking in that direction (<10 min) and you will hit the Love Park and can see the hang gliders taking off from the cliff. From there it is another 10 min to Larcomar, the big shopping center. We found a great supermarket (sort of like Whole Foods) that is also nearby. Take a left out of the hotel and walk to the main road. Don't cross, turn left and 1 block down will be the supermarket called Vivanda. We bought lots of Peruvian snacks and picked up some Pisco sour and mix to take home. On sale, the Pisco sour was cheaper than the duty free at the airport.

I think most in my group agreed that of the 4 hotels we stayed at on the trip, this was our least favorite. Try and request an upgraded room and don't even bother with the breakfast and you will be fine.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank caflygrl
Tennessee
Reviewed 4 June 2011

My husband & I stayed here as part of Gate 1 tour. It's true that this place is older; however, it has been maintained pretty well. The rooms are larger and the baths have been redone. They don't have air conditioning, but they do have ceiling fans. The beds are clean and comfy. The best rooms are on the upper floors, but we stayed in a room on the 1st toward the back, and it was really good. The window opened onto a courtyard. We also stayed on the 2nd floor on our return trip, and it was somewhat better. There is a slight musty smell, but opening the window works fine.The front desk staff is "sort of " bilingual, but not too friendly. The breakfast staff is efficient AND very friendly. The breakfast was very good. You can order from several menu options, which I prefer to a buffet-style. We ordered coffee/wine in the afternoon/evening, and the staff was helpful and engaging. The lobby area is large w/ fun, oversized, antique furniture. It's a great gathering place for guests to meet and compare stories! The fair trade shop in the lobby has some lovely things for sell, and the money goes to a co-op. We enjoyed our stay here very much.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissIzzy
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Staff is binlingual at this restored villa. Staff arranged a cuisine/cooking class at the hotel kitchen with the chef (ceviche, plus ajis).
Comfortable place with great art work, some for sale. GREAT location with access to Miraflores sites. But, if you want a plastic, homogeneized, American-style "Holiday Inn", don't book here.
Hotel Antigua Miraflores is more than worth the money.

• Stayed May 2011