“Converted storeroom?”

Antigua Miraflores Hotel
Ranked #36 of 230 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My husband and I arrived at the hotel about 1:30 a.m., after traveling all day. I had read that the older rooms in front are furnished with antiques and very charming, and that the newer rooms in back overlook the courtyard garden and fountain. Either sounded fine to me, so didn't make any special request. While the hotel was as charming as expected, our room was abysmal, and definitely not worth the additional price we paid to stay there. We were assigned a room (and rushed to it by a porter who left us as quickly as possible, probably so we wouldn't ask him to return to the lobby to ask for another room!) that was between the front and back and appeared to have been a converted storeroom. There were no table and chair in the small room and the windows overlooked a utility area with a full-on view of two large hot water heaters. The window was at a level that anyone could look in directly, not to mention break in, i.e. it did not give us a sense of security and was very hot with the windows closed. Because of the hour of our arrival and being so tired, we did not complain or try to get the porter to wait. By morning, we had other concerns, and were only going to stay one more night, so we didn’t request a change. In retrospect, I wish we had. Since the hotel did not appear to be at all full, I can't begin to think why they would put any guest in such a terrible room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We were travelling with our two teenagers, they got twin beds and so did we in our room. I went down to the desk to ask if we could have a king bed as my husband is 6'4 and they said no, even though I had seen a room right next to my kids room with one. They did change us into a supposed queen bed but it really was a double. The king bedroom never had anyone in it as far as we could tell the two nights that we were there. I did notice a slight musty smell but I think it's just the humidity that most aren't used to. The breakfast was adequate and the helpfulness of the staff made up for the price of the rooms as I did find it was a little over priced for the age and condition of the rooms that we were given. Having said this the location was perfect for walking around the Miraflores district.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

I am writing this as we finish Gate1 10 day Peru tour. We stayed here one night before the tour and everything was nice. It is not luxurious, but room was good size for the city and a good neighborhood. Unfortunately when we came back, they gave us room 100, carpeted room on the ground floor in semi- tropic, not a good idea. It had a musty smell that hours of 2 fans working didn't get rid of. If this happened to you, change the room right away. On hindsight, would have liked a good night sleep and clear sinuses then not appear like spoiled American tourists. To give them credit, they did give us another room right away when we complained.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank wtraveller_2000
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I had a beautiful spacious room. The hotel is located in a quiet part of mirafloras, but very close to the ocean and parque Kennedy . The staff was very helpful. They stored my bag for me while I toured around waiting for a late flight. It was the perfect hotel to stay at, at the end of a long trip. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank cprops
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Lovely room and balcony. Service excellent. Super breakfast. Absolutely no musty odor-what are people talking about? Recommending to all our friends. We've traveled all over the world and have never had more attentive service. But, we love wonderful old mansion type hotels such as this. We're definitely not high rise fans.

Room Tip: Definitely spend $20 more for room in old area with lovely balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ann W
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Whenever I am in Lima I stay in this hotel for its nice rooms, quiet street, awesome location, and wonderful staff. This time, October 2012, I noticed a few changes:
• The hotel seems to have doubled in size. I stayed in the newer section and the room was just as nice as the older section though I was close to the noisy hot water heaters. I recommend asking for a room away from the hot water heaters.
• The hotel restaurant remains the same size, small, and continues to provide nice service and breakfast. But it is busier and once I had to wait for a table which could be a problem if someone is in a hurry. Be sure to be flexible about when you have breakfast.
• There are 2 new restaurants within a block of the hotel; one is a sandwich café and the other a full service restaurant.

The hotel continues to have friendly English speaking resourceful staff that is always ready to provide recommendations, extra blankets, maps of the area, and to get taxis. The wifi works well, the bathrooms provide more hot water than other Peruvian hotels, and the rooms are a nice size.

I will certainly stay at this hotel on my next visit to Lima.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy hot water heaters.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lj0
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Stayed twice - used by Tour companies (we were with G Adventures) for first and last nights - comfortable and spacious - rooms vary in size - first one was small (2 cases took up large part of available floor area but second one was much bigger) early breakfast available for tour starts - prices on expensive (to me) side - not a budget accommodation place - very close to main part of Miraflores - staff very good with English - recommendations of local eating places

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family