Gran Hotel Bolivar
  • Restaurant
US$290
US$247
US$167
All reviewsplaza san martingrand old ladyfaded grandeurold damestained glass domepisco soursantique furnitureinside roomclassic hotelhistoric center of limapresidential suitehotel barbring earplugsroom was largeincluded breakfasttaxi driverknobs
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Hotel Bolivar is in the old city at plaza Bolivar, when I was there in 1974 this hotel and Hotel Colon around the corner were the 2 best and elegant hotels in Lima, there was also the Sheraton in a square box building without charm. The Colon had a beautiful reception area, but it closed a long time ago.
The Bolivar is more or less as it was 30 years or more ago it seems nothing has been changed or upgrated. Same furniture some bathrooms, same everything The windows are one pane and the noise is terrible day and night as the cars go by and around the plaza and the Peruvians constantly are on the horn even if nobody is coming and for no reason at all, it is a misserable sound from their mostly little Toyotas.
We had a " Suite" of 3 rooms at the front but changed later to a room at the side.
The Breakfast was OK, I remember one thing though, the tiny tabs of butter, the size of a tea spoon. Despite the Hotel is old and a little behind the time you still feel the greatness and charm with very good service
Since you are in the old part which even changed a lot since 1974 there are many things to see when you walk around and to the Plaza St. Martin, many beautiful Buildings and Churches I think it costs $ 3,- to get into the Cathedral. The Post Office is very interesting. You might take walk to Hotel Maury one of the oldest Hotel with a old bar where I was told, in 1974, they had the best Pisco Sour. Maybe then but not anymore now. I think the street name is Ucajaly. The Gold Museum should not be missed it is larger than the one in Bogota.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank erniep747
Reviewed 14 July 2012

The best thing about the Hotel is location in Historic Lima. You can walk from there anywhere in that part of the town. Rooms - loved the furniture, but rooms needed much upgrading. Cracks in the wall, dark -ish rooms, big bathroom, thought C ment caliente - hot, not cold. hot water comes and goes, needed long time to come up. Room looked clean. Staff - morning was Lady very helpful, polite and nice, speaks well english, afternoon - man was misreable not very helpful, Breakfast - continental - appalling better of getting it somewhere else. Offer services - taxi (reception has list how much its costs to different destinations, thought drivers not honest) restaurant (staff dont speak english) , wifi. Value for money 4 out of 10.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LaimisMacus
Reviewed 13 July 2012

One of the nice things about reading TA reviews is that it reminds me we are all so different!

If your idea of an amazing hotel is a brand new 'Four Seasons' with all modern conveniences and state of the art bathrooms....well then read no further: this hotel is not for you!!

Still with me? Then this hotel defines faded grandeur - its straight out of 1940s. Our triple room was great, the bathroom brasswork was worth the room rate alone (though hot water was a but problematical) Huge long corridors, gorgeous lift and impressive entrance hall (with a Ford Model T) all added to the charm. Service was excellent, breakfast was fine. It is a bit noisy...Lima motorists do like their horn!! Odd numbered rooms face onto an inner courtyard and should be quieter. Location is brilliant.

For me, one of my favourite hotels in the world. I hope it doesn't get renovated before I can come back

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Pennydoctor
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I booked the bolivar knowing the bad reviews. I knew it was run down and not so confortable but I still booked it because I thought it would be fun. but run down to this extent......the rooms smell like a very old museum, you can hear the noise of the cars in the street, like if you were in the middle of it. there is a glass window on the corridor side and at night the room stays illuminated by the corridor light. the matress protector was only covering half the matress so I ended up sleeping with my clothes on. the bathroom, looked like 1950th hospital bathroom and the toilets were broken. the floor war broken as well.
cleaness, yes it was clean
breakfast was ok with a fresh juice.
it is close to attraction in downtown.
we were supposed to stay 2 nights but we had to find an other hotel. we found it in miraflores and our stay in the bolivar thanksfully was immidiatly forgotten.

Room Tip: don t stay in this hotel unless you don t care about the street noise and the state of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mardanmadrid
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My husband and I selected this place because it was closer to the airport than the hotels in Miramar and we had a very late arrival with a very early departure 2 days later. I made my reservation several months in advance and specifically requested a quiet room overlooking the courtyard, based on reviews I had seen here. Upon arrival around midnight, we were shown to a VERY noisy room overlooking the street - car horns blaring all around the square. My husband went down to complain and was told the only quieter room available was a more expensive suite. We took it, but we did NOT see any evidence to suggest that this hotel was anywhere NEAR capacity. In fact, I'm not sure I saw any other guests. This new room was significantly quieter, but had no view out the window.

The mattress was so uncomfortable that I could have sworn it was not a mattress at all, but just a box springs. The pillows were too thick and not at all soft so I made a makeshift pillow by wrapping my camping pillows in a towel and putting it in the pillow case. Fortunately, the following day, the housekeeper took pity on me and I had a new, softer pillow the next night.

Looking around, you can imagine how wonderful this place was in it's hey day and can see the potential for greatness. The rooms have nice high ceilings and beautiful hardwood floors, but the furniture and decor are seriously outdated. The lobby is gorgeous and there is an antique car there which is fun, but the rooms need some serious attention.

Breakfast was included in our rate and the restaurant was perfectly adequate. We spent some time one evening in the hotel bar on the patio where we had some excellent Pisco Sours. So, about all I can recommend of this hotel is the breakfast and the Pisco Sour.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room overlooking the courtyard, but follow up with written confirmation that your request will be honored.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple