“Sense of adventure required”
Review of Gran Hotel Bolivar

Gran Hotel Bolivar
Ranked #78 of 234 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 31 October 2009

If you want the plush luxury of a Sheraton then this hotel is not for you. I booked this incredibly cheap hotel to offset the cost of my stay at the Machu Picchu Lodge and was braced to expect some squalor. On arrival I immediately realised that I had made a discovery. It's a little shabby in places and a little musty here and there but this hotel has charm and character in spades. It reminded me of Raffles, Singapore before it had its makeover with its faded glory and a staff who were immensely proud to be working at this grand old lady.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank voidoid_gen

Reviewed 18 October 2009

as grand as old grand gets ,,, turn of the century ish hotel in middle of Lima ,even Hemingway stayed here ,,, best pisco sours in town and in the bar Hemingway favored ,,,,, kinda spooky ,, hopefully haunted,, w/ cocoa leaf tea in lobby as well and has a kfc built in ! and the plaza its on has numerous rest ,, great PIZZA

Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I only had one night here, found it on an Irish site before I went to Peru,
Great value, excellent large room, with sitting room, bed room, walk in closet, small hallway too. Great views also. Still cannot believe the small price I paid for it. Its a pity I only had 1 night - so judging this is a bit difficult. I had to take a train early next morning which meant not taking breakfast. I needed one but couldn't fit the short time in, as it was an early early start. The hotel held my main luggage as I didn't want to bring it on the train. The following week I collected same no problem. The hotel is in the historic centre of Lima not were most tourists and business people stay out in Miraflores. But I can't fault the hotel. Even walking around the huge building and admiring the architecture was reason enough to stay. Glad I did.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank JPCD11RF
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The Gran Hotel Bolivar was certainly the place to stay in Lima during its heyday. Although its glory may have faded, there is no denying the building is a stunner. Located directly on the square and in brief walking distance to most of the sites in Lima's Centro, the Gran Hotel Bolivar is situated in a convenient spot. The room massive (entry, twin bedroom/sitting room, second bedroom with double bed, connecting hallway with closets, and bathroom) although outdated, but the place was clean and the sheets/towels smelled fresh. The bathroom was classic 1950s/60s but the water was hot and the pressure was excellent (which is much more than I can say about some of the other more modern places we stayed in Peru). The furniture is the original and the entire place has a fantastic vibe that makes you want to be a gorgeous starlet or dashing business man from another decade. Don't miss the beautiful lobby with its dome fresco and stunning crystal chandeliers. The staff was lovely as well, especially the doormen who answered all of our questions without fail. However, we were strongly urged by several people (including the doormen) to take a taxi once the sun went down (although that seemed to be on par with a lot of neighborhoods we visited in Lima). Great price, great service, great vibe, and very clean...would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Had read the reviews here and booked it. It was as described, the grand old Ford in the foyer with a decent restaurant on the left. Our room was on the third floor, following long corridors in the hotel. The room was nice and basic, the bathroom was functional with hot water at certain times. Best part of the hotel, apart from its look, is its location to central lima. You can walk it (we only walked during the day so not sure how safe it is at night) there passing through the shopping area. There is a bar (with similar deco as the hotel) next door where we tried our first pisco sour. we exchanged our currency in the hotel but would recommend checking out other places nearby.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 23 September 2009

After having stayed in the very bland Miraflores at the beginning of our two week trip around Peru, we decided to stay in Lima Centro for our last two days. The Gran Hotel Bolivar was recommended by a travel agent in Arequipa (Andina Travel Service, 402-A Jerusalen) and I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised, given how little we paid for it. This hotel, built in 1924 in the grand style of the hotels of the day is a bit faded but still in good shape both outside and inside and was undergoing some restoration work in the lobby during our stay. Our room was spacious, as was the bathroom - definitely the largest room of any we had while in Peru and the finish of the room is original or close to it, giving the place a touch of historical elegance. The beds were not as comfortable as other hotels we stayed in, but a small drawback for staying in such a beautiful hotel. Breakfast - let me rave a bit and say that this was positively the best included breakfast we had anywhere in Peru, bar none, and served in elegant style. As for noise, stay in an interior room if possible, but finding a quiet spot anywhere in Lima, or in any other city in Peru is almost impossible given that horn honking is merciless and absolutely endemic in Peru. The hotel is located right on the Plaza San Martin, in the middle of a busy tourist area and is walking distance to all of the must see spots, including a short walk up Union Street to the Main Square. I would recommend this hotel any day, and I will definitely stay here again if I find myself back in Lima.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2009

an amazing hotel for a great price in the middle of old lima beautiful fountains cool mall we stayed saturday night and the restaurant had a great band the food good too. and the staff is way cool. the plumbings old but you do have hot showers. but hay it's old lima. the coolest thing was the old car in the lobby the marble staircase and the beautiful marble bathrooms the parquet wood floors and the chandlers. I will remember this hotel always a grand hotel for 30.00 on agoda site