“a hotel with a different attitude”

Hotel San Antonio Abad
Ranked #32 of 232 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We had to spend a day in Lima waiting for our flight back to USA after 10 days of traveling in Peru. We: a group of 6 adults with quite a luggage including mountaineering gear. We came up with an idea to get a room at a hotel to keep our luggage and have a shower. It was not easy. To find a room for a day (not a night) IS NOT EASY. After numerous failed attempts to beg our way into a hotel, I found San Antonio mentioned on the Tripadvisor site. It did work! I got a prompt reply to my e-mail (I do not speak Spanish, so telephone conversations were prohibited) with all necessary details. Everything we asked for was arranged with the itemized prices indicated.
1. A double room from 8 am until 6 pm with extra towels for 6 people. The towels were not provided, and the hotel did not charge extra for them. If we had reminded the personnel - I'm pretty sure we would have had them. The room was nice looking and clean, with a comfortable bathroom.
2. Extra breakfast for 4 (breakfast for 2 was included in the price of the room). The breakfast was excellent!
3. Taxi from the downtown bus station to the hotel. Well, the taxi did not show up. It was not a catastrophe though - we picked-up a van easily, but it cost us an hour and a half of lost time.
4. A taxi from the hotel to the airport for 2 people and two hours later another taxi for 4 in the same direction.
All the personnel were polite, considerate, professional. Thanks to Maria Gonzales who arranged everything for us (and we do understand that our request was kind of unusual), we were spared the unpleasant necessity of dragging our heavy luggage around the city. The location matters too: being close to everything and at the same time in a quiet and secure corner.
Although there were some small inconveniences - the willingness of the personnel to deviate from the regular booking schedule and arrange for extra services deserves only excellent marks.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yelena_N

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My Husband and I stayed here last month for 3 nights and it was really nice. Good airport pick up and inexpensive drop off as some other hotels charge quite a bit more to drop you off at the airport. Lovely rooms and spotless hotel. The staff are also very helpful and friendly and we would definitely stay there again. Easy walk to supermarkets and restaurants and all round nice experience. Do try to get one of the rooms on the inside as they are bigger.

2  Thank lia210260
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I recently spent 11 nights at this hotel (split into two parts, before and after the highlands) so I think I have a fairly good idea of the place. I agree with all the positive reviews: wonderful staff, great breakfast, efficient reservations (Maria responded promptly to all emails), comfortable rooms and beds. Great airport pickup service (even for a late flight). We had a room on the third floor, overlooking the garden, so it was quiet. We were also lucky to catch one of their promotions (advertised on TA) which was an incentive to stay so many nights. We liked the location, walking distance to the center of Miraflores (10 mins) yet in a more residential, leafy area. And it's ideally placed to catch the Metropolitano into the center of LIma or Barranco (which we did). Everyone made us feel welcome and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Lima. P.S. If you don't have a computer with you, there is a 'locutorio' next door where you can use the computers and make long distance phone calls for inexpensive rates.

Room Tip: Overlooking the garden.
3  Thank Sesentas
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed here for one night in early September 2012. Great experience. the staff were very friendly. One worker (a man but can't remember his name) even let me borrow his bus pass so that I could use the express bus service to get to downtown Lima! My room was very nice but I was concerned about the noise from the street. So when I asked if I could change rooms, they accommodated my request without hesitation. I was probably lucky that the hotel was not sold out. The room that I was in initially had double paned glass and it probably would have been ok but I was quite tired from my whirlwind trip and needed to be sure that I would have a perfect night of sleep.

The breakfast was very good though I would suggest being there earlier rather than later.

good location. I felt safe walking in the neighbourhood.

It's better to pay cash so either keep or withdraw US currency. If you use your credit card, they charge you based on their exchange rate, which is not favourable to you. But US cash is always handy to have.

Driver was at airport waiting for me for my free ride to the hotel. His rate to return to airport was in line with other cabbies so I went with the hotel's choice.

I would definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: if you don't like street noise, ask for a room that is not on the main street
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MsCicciaTO
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Here is my review, I spend 2 nights there within 3 weeks, 2 different rooms :
++ Convenient to book on internet, very good communication with the hotel prior to the arrival
++ Free pick up at the airport and the driver did wait (late arrival of the plane), really appreciated that!
+ Rooms are ok, I did prefer the one on the ground floor (windows, furnishing) compared to the one on the first floor (cold wind coming from the windows)
+ Convenient location to visit Miraflores and take the metro bus to go to downtown lima (station just 5 min away).
+ Good breakfast and coffee
+ Very nice people at the front desk
I guess there are better hotels around but it's a good choice

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LIN B
Reviewed 28 August 2012

A very nice place in a quiet street in the area of Miraflores, walking distance from commecialand turist area and to the Miraflores seaside. Rooms are quiet and with a vintage look with a very nice main livingroom. Staff is more than friendly and gave us valuable suggestions for dinner and going around. A nice place to stay with a pick upservice at the airport. plus a pleasant e-mail service for booking, as we arranged all our trip by ourselves.
Gio and Robbie

3  Thank RPatrignani
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I will certainly visit here again. Our taxi driver was waiting for us at the airport even though our flight was over an hour late. Staff was friendly, beds comfortable, room clean, and breakfast was superb. The hotel arranged all our taxi needs and were always available when needed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JillVB_12
Gerry0469, Owner at Hotel San Antonio Abad, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Thank you for your generous review!
Reviews like yours motivate our staff to improve the service we offer to our guests.
We can’t wait to see and serve you again.