“Pleasant and Personable”

Ranked #30 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Chicago
“Pleasant and Personable”
Reviewed 20 March 2009

This was the first time that I stayed at a hotel in Lima given that I was born there but this time since I went with my husband and 5 year-old daughter. I wanted to be comfortable and not stay with family and not have enough room and privacy. I read the reviews here and didn't want to spend more than $100 per night since we were going to be visiting family and friends. I communicated with the hotel staff via email before my departure because I had a lot of quesitons and they were very responsive. The staff was very courteous and accomodating. We had a room on the 3rd floor with AC. They put an extra bed for my daughter. They had breakfast every day that included omelettes. That was very convenient for us since we were out most of the day. If you are looking for luxury though, you need to look somewhere else. I feel that this hotel is a good value for the price if you are looking for a decent place to stay and if you are doing a lot of sightseeing.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Southchica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I stay in the San Antonio Abad whenever I visit Lima, which is on a regular basis. I travel frequently for work and this is, without doubt, one of my favourite hotels. The staff are fantastic - and the fact that it is much the same staff year after year - speaks much about the family atmosphere and management. The rooms are clean and comfortable and compared with other parts of Miraflores, this place, located in a residential neighbourhood is very quiet - though it doesn't hurt to ask for a room facing the courtyard if the noise of an occasional car really bothers you. Fantastic breakfast - and the latest addition of free Wifi in the rooms is a huge bonus. It's an old mansion so there is no air conditioning but fans are provided on request (though some rooms already have a ceiling fan).

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank machita99
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I and my fiancée stayed at San Antonio Abad for four days, during our first visit to Lima. The hotel was just what we expected, small, simple and comfortable. It is located in the Miraflores district, walking distance from the Larcomar Mall and even closer to some restaurants, supermarkets and casinos. Also, by taxi you can easily go to the neighboring Barranco and San Isidro districts, both of tourist interest.
The rooms are very simple, with ok bed and pillows, linens that could be newer and WC that could be better, and without A/C (what I wonder due to the high Lima humidity in the summer those from colder countries will miss). Though many liked its breakfast, we found it to be just basic (bread, butter, cheese, ham, milk, coffee, egg and juices). What is outstanding in San Antonio Abad is its staff. Starting with José, which happens to be the driver that will pick you up at the airport and provide you the first information about Lima, and then going to Aimée and Armando, of the front desk. Both were very helpful and cordial, especially Armando, with whom one can chat for hours.
Last but not least, we got, by chance, the room #15, with a view for the hotel’s interior garden/patio. I recommend when booking you ask for these rooms, in order to avoid the street noise and the unstoppable car-horning which happens to be one of the craziest things of Lima.
Finally, it’s a fair cost-benefit three star hotel, that deserved a 4.0 score instead of 3.0 because of its staff.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boccato
california
Reviewed 8 February 2009

I spent one night and half a day here, between flights into Lima and out to Santiago. I specifically asked for a quiet room, since my main objective was to catch up on sleep, when I made my booking. But no, I got a room on the street and it is NOT a quiet location. Since there is no A/C and Lima is HOT in the summer, I had no choice but to TRY to sleep through the traffic noise which continues late into the night. The bed was comfortable, the room was a bit rundown, including the bathroom not especially clean and the hot water not especially good (although as hot as it was, I didn't really miss it much). '

On the plus side, the breakfast is very good, and the rate includes a pickup from the airport. The driver was nice although the car was old. Overall it is a good value. The staff was quite friendly. Although the location is Miraflores, it isn't particularly close to the ocean or anything else of much interest. The supermarket nearby (I think it is called Vayama) was very nice. I didn't see any free internet on site.

What is up with all the reviewers that have one and only one review? Seems to be common with Lima's inexpensive hotels. I advise others to only look at reviewers who have a history with tripadvisor.

• Liked — Good value
  • Disliked — Noisy room on street
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank mlgb
Ontario
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Although we never stayed here very long as we arrived at 1:00 a.m. and left the next morning, the hotel was very reasonably priced with a full breakfast. It had no A/C so all the windows were wide open when we arrived so we had our share of bugs but beds were comfortable and we slept well and it was very clean. I hadn't realized ahead of time that it was so far from the airport or that the price only included a pick up and not the return trip to the airport, which was the case for every hotel in Peru. Fortunately, taxis are incredibly cheap

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — distance from airport
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GPROntario
Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Our stay at Hotel San Antonio Abad was just perfect. The staff were all so welcoming and helpful. We were in the midst of making travel plans to see more of the area and we couldn't have planned such a great vacation without their help...from plane tickets to guides to useful tips that we never would have known - the staff at Hotel San Antonio Abad helped us plan all the details and we couldn't be more thankful.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. There was a good space heater in the room, which was such a nice treat on those chilly nights. The hotel offers a good morning buffet with a quiet view over the private back courtyard. There is 24 hour internet access available on site.
We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. We had stayed in a few other hotels in Lima and this was hands-down our favourite hotel (for service, comfort and affordability). We will definitely plan to stay here again.
Thank you everyone at San Antonio Abad!
Linda and Shawn

• Liked — helpful staff
  • Disliked — away from the restaurant/bar scene
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nomad360
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2009

We spend four nights at this wonderful hotel situated in the heart of Miraflores close to all shopping entertainment and beaches. The area is safe, the hotel is excellent with the Old World spirit to it, the front desk staff are courteous, helpful and attentive. The only negative aspect is that some rooms are facing the street, and may get noisy in morning ours, as peruvian drivers love to honk. Free airport pick up is a big plus.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Some rooms face the street
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends