“Basic Stay, But Excellent Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Roma

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lima
Hostal Roma
Ranked #213 of 312 Speciality Lodging in Lima
Long Beach, California
“Basic Stay, But Excellent Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

I booked this hostal via email prior to my stay and they arranged to have me picked up from the airport on a late night arrival. Errol Branca was there on time and waiting. The rooms are rather basic and as noted in a prior review, there was no windows only a large skylight. Central Lima is in walking distance, but closes up early at night as all the nightlife action is in Miraflores.

The breakfast was good for the price. Errol arranged a plane ticket to Cuzco and offered any other assistance that was needed. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay. It's about what you expect for budget travel.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank LBPurnell

Business
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

My Girlfriend and I stayed at Hostal Roma for a couple of nights on a way to Cuzco for the Inca Trail. Recommendations had been to stay ´down town´ Lima if you only had a couple of days and this hostal was ideal. Miraflores is just to far out to really experience Lima and the down town area is not ´unsafe´ as many guidebooks say, as long as you keep your wits about you and don´t wander around late at night (which is the same as most cities I´ve been to around the world).

The building is a lovely colonial style right in the centre of town, literally 2 minutes from the main square and shopping district. The rooms are pretty basic and we decided to sleep in sleeping bags instead of using the bedding, however that isn´t to say that they weren´t clean, it was just more comfortable that way. The rooms are perfectly adequate to get your head down in order to have a whistle stop tour of Lima.

The staff at Hostal Roma were very friendly and very helpful. The Hostal is very cheap at 25USD per night and we arranged a taxi to and from the airport for 30USD. The taxi was waiting for us at the airport on arrival, despite us booking the transfer 6 weeks in advance.

The cafe attached the Hostal is absolutely lovely. The breakfast is fab and the coffee the best in Lima (Obivously my opinion only!)!! Even if you don´t stay at the Hostal the cafe is worth a visit.

The immediate surroundings of the hostal are very busy, with many little shops, traditional/local restaurants and many printing workshops. However don´t be put off by this as this gives you a true insight into Lima.

Overall, excellent value for money given the location, which is superb, however has basic rooms. Would recommend to like minded people.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
San Jose
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

I lived this hostal for one night. The bed is okay, but the room does not smell good. I paid $20 for double bed, I might just get what I paid for the room.

However this hostal charges a lot for other things.
1) $17 for airport pickup, another $17 to transfer to airport.
The taxi cost is ~$8, I thought $17 is for both way when I reserved at beginning, had to take it since I arrived Lima at 10pm, negotiated to $30 total.

2) I bought a bottle of water, charged by 7 soles
This is ridiculous. It is 1 soles in Lima market, 1.5~2 soles in all of other hostal I lived in Peru.

So it is okay to live there for stay only in central Lima, don't expect any help and don't buy anything from it.

Stayed December 2007

Travellers are raving about these Lima hotels

Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2007

Our family of five stay in Hostal Roma for one night even we planned to stay for more.

Our previous accommodation in Quito helped to book this accommodation for us. We were told that price in the web, 32 USD, was wrong and it was 40 USD but this was agreed to 35 USD during the call. Ok.

We asked for a pickup from the airport as we were arriving late. Even if price was high USD 20. We had a person waiting for us, ok. Then we waited 20 minutes outside that right taxi arrived. We all five packed to normal, old, combi.

Then came rooms. We were promised to have a quatraple but in the arrival we got separate double and triple. Only windows were openings in roof. Smell in the rooms was not inviting. We would have left in this point but boys were so tired that we decided to stay one night.

Lights off. Connector was leaking and there was a shadow light blinking in the pulp for the whole night. I hoped that it would not get fire that night. Sounds of shower from the bathroom. There is nobody from our family in the shower. Not so thick walls I thought. In the morning I realised that there was no upper part of the wall between bathrooms - if was left off to let light from our bathroom roof window to enter to the other bathroom.

One room had wooden floor with parts missing and we had linoleum with parts and total tiles missing. Huh. It was easy to see that cleaning was type "middle of the floor".

On the positive side I have to say that beds were ok, clean and quite confortable. Inside patio was nice even we did not stay to enjoy it.

Morning came. At least we get breakfast! No breakfast today. Restaurant is closed on Sunday, we were told. After discussions we got price down as compensation. I was happy that I did not pay in the evening, it was better to negotiage.

So, this was an experience. But not a positive one. You can manage to stay in this hotel but get it a pleasant experience is not easy. Mayby if you have right attitude.

• Liked — Nice inside patio.
  • Disliked — Noicy and untidy rooms.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hyattsville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2007

We stayed here one night, after flying in to Peru and flying out to Cusco. This little hotel was a great choice and we wished we could have stayed longer. We will defintely stay here again if we go back to Lima.

We were met at the airport by Errol Branca, who's a very friendly, charming, and sweet guy. He helped us check in and get settled.

The rooms are not gorgeous but the bed was comfortable and the place is thoroughly clean.

The hotel itself, a former 18th or 19th century private home in a traditional style with inner courtyard and roof terraces, has a lot of charm and historic character.

Right across the street is a performance hall where we heard gorgeous live native music beautifully performed. It closed down by 9:30.

The hotel is a block and a half from the main square in Lima, the cathedral, the President's palace, and very close to the Convent de San Fransico as well as several other important Spanish colonial churches. And it's near lots of good restaurants.

The guys who work the front desk are cut-ups, friendly (just like Errol) and funny.

We were very glad we stayed here.

Stayed June 2007