“Lovely hotel and people but got sick from restaurant”

Hilton Lima Miraflores
Ranked #6 of 229 Hotels in Lima
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very nice and what you'd expect. The staff are wonderful and helpful and made us feel welcome even though we appeared more like backpackers than business people. HOWEVER, I ate a salad in the restaurant with berries and cheese for lunch my last day in Peru and I became very sick and threw up all night. Be careful- even in a fancy hotel don't trust the food. Sadly I ate well all over the Peru for weeks and never became ill until that dreadful salad.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
HiltonLimaMiraflores, General Manager at Hilton Lima Miraflores, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest:

We would like to thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at our hotel. It is very important for us to know exactly how our guests feel about our service and facilities.

Our hotel comply with the highest international food safety and hygiene standards that regulate how to handle food from the receiving and storage stages to preparation.

To investigate further we would like to receive further details on what was consumed during your entire stay in our hotel. If you could reply to the email marco.tabet@hilton.com, it would greatly help us.

I wish that you would consider returning to our property so we can turn this experience around, and I can assure you we will stride to exceed your expectations in the future.

Marco Tabet
Hilton Lima Miraflores

There are newer reviews for Hilton Lima Miraflores

Reviewed 9 February 2014

OK, I think most Americans want to know which is better -- the Hilton or Marriott. Unfortunately, I can't answer -- in this review -- with a black 'n white reply. One property has some strengths and the other has some strengths. You'll need to just see what is more important for your own travel style, knowing what awaits in both.

I will lead off this review by telling you that I have stayed in the Marriott 6 or 7 times before, at Larcomar. I know it well. So, here are the various hotel advantages:

1. The Hilton rooftop terrace, with lounge chairs, infinity pool, and 2 jacuzzis, is the bomb! I chilled out here one morning after breakfast and couldn't have been more pleased. Although the Marriott has quite a large pool, it's not on the roof and not as stylish as the Hilton's. Major plus here, if pools are your thing. Winner: Hilton

2. Both the Marriott and Hilton have executive lounges. Hilton is on the top floor and Marriott the next to top floor. Both have wonderful views but the Marriott is right on the coast so the view is a tad better there. BUT, the Hilton executive lounge has 3 outdoor tables on the terrace! Hilton: Winner winner pollo dinner!

3. The Hilton has happy hour each day in the executive lounge from 5:30-10:00. You can have wine, beer, or liquor drinks....free. Light canopes are served alongside. Marriott also has happy hour, but they do their happy hour with nice artisan cheeses, nuts, dried fruit, and charcuterie. There is only wine served (decent quality but not great) and it is only from 5:30-7:00. Winner: Hilton.

4. The Hilton Executive Lounge lacks the selection of items that Marriott has, especially at breakfast. Marriott blows it away at breakfast. However, for the mid-day canopes and evening canopes, even though the selection isn't as good as Marriott, we found the food to be tastier for the most part. Winner: Tie.

5. Hilton is more precious about security. I had a local friend visit and they tagged him at the elevator (he was with me) and stated hastily: he can't enter without identification and registering it at the front desk. He had just left university and left his ID in his book bag in his locker and therefore could not visit with me. I appreciate this level of security (it doesn't exist at all like this at the Marriott, but on this one occasion it was a nuisance as they wouldn't let me vouch for him). Winner: probably Hilton.

6. Lobbies and public rooms. This is where local opinion of the two properties is unfairly biased: due to Marriott's extravagant lobby and public rooms, people think that Marriott is 5 star and Hilton 4 star. It is true that Marriott blows Hilton away in public lobby (Hilton more of a boutique lobby), but the rooms are pretty equal amongst the two properties (see below). For public spaces, definitely: Winner: Marriott

7. Elevators: Marriott has one more and they are a tad quicker but more floors to go to. Winner: tied

8. View. Hands down winner: Marriott. It's RIGHT on the cliff, overlooking the bay. Hilton is several blocks behind the Marriott. You can see the bay water from the Hilton but partially obfuscated by nearby edifices.

9. Service: I found the front desk to be much better trained at the Marriott...BUT the Hilton is only one year old. Might just need time to work out bugs. Marriott has been there a good while and is a well oiled machine. The service in executive lounge was good in both. We didn't eat at a Hilton restaurant but I have eaten at the Marriott lounge restaurant on multiple occasions and each time feeling "meh" about it. The service has been fair to bad in the Marriott lounge restaurant as well. For general service, however: Equal. Due to front desk, slight edge goes to: Marriott.

10. Rooms: I always get a special room at the Marriott (I'm NOT telling which one because I want it next time I come and don't want you in it!! haha). It has the best views of the bay, this room, and I just like the abnormal layout. I ask for it each time, as a Platinum member, and receive it each time. They know me so much, now, from my weekend dalliances to Peru from Atlanta, that they block off my room ahead of time and welcome me by name when I come to the front desk. haha. Good times. I booked a junior suite at the Hilton, because I prefer very large rooms. Well, when I checked in at Hilton, I was told I could upgrade to the full suite for a nominal fee. I asked to see both. The Jr. Suite was very comfortable and nice but not nearly the size the website seemed to intimate. The regular suite was much bigger and definitely a winner in the bathroom department. Ding ding ding: we have a winner. So, I stayed in the full suite and really enjoyed it. It is all hardwood floors in the Hilton, but I had mats on either side of the bed and a huge floor rug in the living room by the sectional sofa. Very comfortable. Liked the waterfall shower at the Hilton and the lighted mirrors (remember: much newer hotel than the Marriott). Beds were comfortable but bed quality slightly better at Marriott. Bedding was equal. Both excellent. Hilton also gave me free wi-fi with purchase of a suite and executive lounge privileges, that I would not have gotten with a regular room (I'm only silver with them). Overall, I'd highly recommend upgrading to the suite for all the room, the bathroom, the views (suites only on the side facing the water -- on the high floors!), and all the amenities. Hilton wins the rooms, if you get a suite!

Location: Marriott is right on the water and across the street from the popular mall -- Larcomar. If you like modern malls and cliffside restaurants (all of course overpriced), Marriott has the better views. If you prefer excellent local restaurants (prices high because you're in Miraflores but not as high as Larcomar), the Hilton is better. If you prefer proximity to the casinos, Hilton is probably better, although there is a cruddy casino in the same building as Marriott (not owned by the mormon Marriotts, of course). So, for this one is a TIE depending on what is important to you.

Overall: you can't go wrong with either. If you ask the locals, they all think Marriott is 5 star and Hilton 4 star, due to the extravagance of the Marriott in the giant monolithic modern oceanfront edifice. However, I will tell you they are nearly equal, depending on what is important to you personally. The Hilton DOES have better rates (during my weekend a regular room was $149/night and Marriott was $209/night) so maybe that's another reason the locals think the Marriott is better.

Bottom line: either properties are terrific. You must upgrade to club level, however, in each property to get the full opulence of each. The service in each executive lounges was superb. I'm actually headed to the Marriott lounge right now for some fresh squeezed papaya juice!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite! Treat yourself! They're wonderful and come with a lot of amenties!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank ATLconsultant
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel located in the best neighbourhood in Lima, Miraflores.
Pricy but good value for the price.
Staff and its service is excellent and attentive.
Rooms are modern, spacious, clean and the beds and pillows are superb.
I recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel is located in Miraflores which is one of the safer regions of Lima. You are within walking distance of a mall and plenty of food options. The hotel itself is lovely with a wall waterfall in the lobby and beautiful rooms. Upgrading to the suite definitely has it's perks with the breakfast, cocktail and light dinner included. What made this hotel better than any other is that LAN airline had lost one of our bags with very expensive equipment and the concierge called the airline multiple times per day to see if our bags had arrived. Make sure to walk a few blocks south and check out El Pez Amigo, one of the best restaurants we had on our trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Pool and hot tub on the roof, great location and rooms. Staff was very attentive as well. Lots of restaurants on the same block. It's about a ten minute walk to the central shopping area on the water (Larcomar). I wish we stayed longer. I would definitely stay there again next time Iam in Miraflores .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The hotel is great & in one of the best areas in Lima. The staff are friendly, the rooms are spacious, clean & bright. Worths considering upgrading to an executive room, the executive lounge will definitely justify the additional spent.

Sadly we were there for just 3 days & it was cloudy so not able to take full advantage of the swimming pool. GREAT VIEWS!

Depending on the amount of nights & time in Lima, you must try the restaurant - It was a very pleasant surprise.

Good job Hilton

Room Tip: Executive room is the way to go.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Brand new, beautiful Hotel in a quite area of Miraflores. 10 minutes walk down to the coast and shopping are. Rooms are beautiful and quite. Food is really excellent. Staff and service are great. They also have a nice little pool on the roof.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business