“Never Again!”
Review of Maria Angola Hotel

Maria Angola Hotel
Ranked #189 of 230 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I was scheduled to stay three days but moved out after the first night. Service was very poor with the exception to the gentleman whom assisted with baggage to and from my room. Both chairs in the front desk area were broken and need to be replaces, dining area was in need of repaid, and the breakfast sucked.
Breakfast that was included with the room rate was eggs, and that was all, my children requested pancakes, took the kitchen over an hour to prepare the pan cakes, and they were served without syrup. I requested syrup for the pancakes, and I was informed that the kitchen did not have any syrup. I had to ask the waiter three different times for a cup of hot office, and each time he brought a cup of warm coffee. Maria Angola may have been a great hotel in past years; however, after my stay on June 28, 2011 I have to say that I will never stay at Marie Angola again. I have traveled through Lima on many occasions, and stayed at several hotels in, and around the Lima area, and have experience nothing like the one night at the Marie Angola. I am sorry to say I have nothing good to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel and convention Center in Miraflores (Lima) for a meeting. The convention center leaves a lot to be desired. It is across the street from the hotel in a building that looks more like a high school gymnasium. Internet access was difficult because, although there was a wireless network, there was no access to the internet.

The rooms are big, but need to be refurbished. Carpets look old. The bathroom ceiling had water damage, and in another room the hair dryer cables were without insulation.

Food leaves a lot to be desired, and it was very poor for Peruvian standards...

The location of the hotel is good, but it has seen better times.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank aguhl
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I and my friends stayed at this hotel for two days. The price was affordable and the location is great. You can take a short walk to reach the mall on the ocean side and the Artisan market. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. There are facilities like internet access, wifi, cable connection, etc. The bathroom was nice and had hot water supply. Breakfast was fine and had adequate servings. There are various nice restaurants nearby to eat from. The only negative thing that I can say about the Maria Angola Hotel is that it is quiet noisy.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I stayed here for a week of business meetings in this hotel. We chose the hotel for the price they offered and the amenities they promised. I have to say I wouldn't choose the place if I had a choice. Meeting rooms were stuffy, inadequate AC. We opened the windows, but the street noise was too distracting to talk. We had a meetings and a group that counted on good internet connection. That was frustrating. You can't depend on it.

Rooms were adequate, but dated, and not all that clean. For an aging hotel severely in need of renovation, it was probably about par. Typical of aging hotels, there was blistered paint on the walls, bathroom walls and corners that needed a good cleaning, and soiled carpet. My bed was very hard- thin mattress on a wood base. My room was on the street and the noise from traffic and the casino below made it hard to sleep. I had to get maintenance to fix dripping AC water which was soaking the carpet. I came home sick, probably from the mold in the room, although none of my colleagues had this issue.

It was supposed to have internet in the room. Some have wifi, others just a cable connection. It didn't seem to matter, since it only worked occasionally either way.

The desk staff was very helpful and friendly. No issue with them. The waiters in the cafe were not very attentive, and didn't seem to care. Breakfast was the same every day, but adequate- scrambled eggs with ham and cheese, fruit cup, bread, coffee. I think most guests don't tip the waiters, because after I did slip a few soles to one of them, his demeanor and attentiveness changed noticeably for the remaining days.

The location was the only positive thing about the stay. It is an easy ten minute walk to Larcomar, the very nice mall on the ocean with lots of good restaurants. It's about the same to Parque Kennedy, a touristy area with good restaurants. And that is also close to a large Artisan market where you can shop for all of the gifts and alpaca scarves you need to pick up. Some good buys there. I travel to Lima a few times a year and found some great new places to eat near this hotel.

In summary, you can do a lot better. If you HAVE to stay here for a meeting, get a room away from the street on a lower floor. And get out and see the city. This area, Miraflores, is a nice part of Lima to visit. If you are a runner, or walker, you can get to the coastal cliffs in a few minutes where there is a great path along the ocean.

Room Tip: I'd look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Techie_Phil
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I was born in Peru but I have been living in New York City for over 20 years. I wanted to visit the place where I was born and I decided to invite my two best friends with me. I am completly sorry for it. My friends loved the city of Lima and the food. However, we were very dissapointed about our hotel. We thought that for $100 a night, we will receive a better service. The location of the hotel was good. However, the service was extremelly poor. When we first arrived; the room was not ready. It was very uncomfortable since we were on a plane for more than seven hours. There was not hot water, the internet did not work, we had to call everyday in order for the internet to be reset. It was extremely annoying, since we could not check our emails. In addition to that the room key did not work either. One day, one of the staff member when inside our room without even knocking. When we check out, we received a bill for two coffees that we did not even order. The staff was rude and did not show any sympathy.The only good thing about this hotel is the location. I will NOT stay in the Maria Angola ever again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We went to Peru to participate in the South American junior athlete games, representing Venezuela. We were lodged at the Maria Angola Hotel in Lima. Returning from the games at night we found that things had disappeared from several rooms; team jackets, expensive sporting equipment, cash (more than 1000 USD) etc. Several locked bags were destroyed in order to get hold of the belongings. It was obvious that these things had been stolen by- or with the help of the cleaning employees of the hotel. We tried to claim this to the responsible at the reception desk, but they were not at all helpful or willing to do anything about what had happened.

We do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I and my husband and his friend with a girlfriend stayed at this holet about a week. We got bad service since we arrived. The reception was bad service mind,no smile on their face(I worked in reception before so I knew how to be service mind). I and my husband we should to get double bed,but we got 2 single beds even if we booked hotel via agency. What do you think? I got so angry and asked about new room and what did they said,you know that? They said we don't know you have to talk with your agency. They denied their fault. I asked waht about another day it was possible to change the room for us but they said "We couldn't checke" How was it possible in the hotel system? Next day we down to reception and asked about wireless in the room. But we found that the reception just on the phone don't interested at us so the bellboy had to signal to her at we standed there. I had talk to my husband about to change the hotel but in the one way we hope we gonna get better service but NOT. So we never look at or smile to them anymore since we stayed there. But only one I want to appreciated was a bellboy who I couldn't recognized his name. He was only one a good service in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple