“Maria Angola slow spiral to closing”
Review of Maria Angola Hotel

Maria Angola Hotel
Ranked #187 of 228 Hotels in Lima
New Westminster, Canada
“Maria Angola slow spiral to closing”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The only thing that keeps bring me back to this hotel is the people working there, they all treat me like a friend and know me by name even after an absence of nearly 3 years!! Yes the hotel is old, dirty, run down, the showers suck, if they are not freezing you out they are boiling the skin off of you. The internet is off more than it is on. And Yes, the service is horrible, but that is because the people working there bear the constant brunt of angry guest 24/7, only because the owner of this hotel chooses to run it this way ....................... and he is running it into the ground. So be for you scream at the Staff at the front desk, or the Bellman or the waiters, understand they are not to blame. Will I stay there again, of course, it has a great location, short walk to Kennedy Park, the people in the hotel treat me great, and if you don't stay in a bad hotel now and then, you will never know what a good one is!!!!!

Room Tip: As high up above the street as you can get
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RickSandra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lima Region, Peru
Reviewed 14 November 2012

horrible, dirty, ugly, old, smell terrible, no service, no nothing, poor , the worst hotel in Lima, they should close the hotel, breakfast impossible, and they dont care , they dont make any effort and I dont understand how they survive, I will never go back, I dont recomend the hotel not even to an enemy, the worst experience until now in Lima.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Alex d

Travellers are raving about these Lima hotels

miami
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Very dissapointed. The front desk is very poor service!! They do not speak English. They are very rude. We were not comfortable at all. They do not have a functioning air conditioner. They do not have a functioning TV and only one cleaning person. If you plan in staying here, bring your own toilet paper because if you run out, good luck getting another roll.
The people at the front desk were not courteous at all. I will never come back to this hotel again!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank liz c
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I have stayed at the Maria Angola no fewer than 8 times over the past few years and every time I tell myself it's going to be the last. I have this love/hate relationship with the hotel. Even though the hotel was constructed in the 1980's I don't think it has seen much done since. In spite of the reviews here the hotel does very well and when I went last month it was full. Groups from Europe seem to insure the hotel does a good business.
The staff for the most part is helpful. I am not sure how many of the front desk people speak English though. I spoke to them in Spanish which is not my native tongue. My biggest complaint would be about the hot water and water pressure. This time I spent 6 nights in their presidential suite and overall it wasn't any better than in the jr. suite I normally take. You turn on the hot water in the shower or jacuzzi and the water trickles out. There is no happy medium, the water temperature changes without you adjusting the controls. If the water is too hot and you turn on more cold to compensate it takes a while to adjust and then it's too cold. The water pressure was good in the sinks but not in the shower and horrible in the jacuzzi.
The breakfast is now a buffet. There is fruit salad (one morning I saw people sniffing it and putting it back) made with the least expensive fruts. There were scrambled eggs, (watery) as well as some cold buns and toast. Since I am known to the staff I was offered fried eggs if I wanted them. The coffee is good but one morning I had to wait at least five minutes to get some, finally one of the older waiters brought me my coffee and juice. The younger waiters don't seem to care as much.
I asked for a wake up call the day I had to leave and no one bothered to call me. Thankfully I woke up on my own and didn't miss my flight. I did ask for a taxi to pick me up and the genteman was there with a sign with my name on it. The taxi costs $20 USD.
There is a free pisco sour but it's horrible, it's made with a very low quality pisco. The location of the hotel is wonderful and you can walk in safety to the Indian Markets as well as the shops and restaurants around Kennedy Park. There is a Metro Supermarket open 24 hours not far from the hotel as well as a Vivanda supermarket. I like to get my bottled water there and you should also try the local fruits, many of which we don't import here to the US. The Metro has a bakery section as well and the daily breads and rolls are good and one cake I tried was nothing short of chocolate heaven.
They do convert the dollars to soles at a horrible rate so be prepared to see this on your credit card bill. Also phone calls made from your room are expensive and there is a pay phone just around the corner.
One place I do love is Tropicana restaurant. Exit the hotel and walk to the left and it's on the corner. The daily special is only 9 soles, just a bit more than $3. It's open so you might want to avoid it on windy days but I love the food and have sometimes eaten there 3 times a day. The seafood is always good, the waitresses are nice, Don Pepe and his wife are the owners and always have a smile and a kind word.
After all is said and done would I stay again, probably so. Would I recommend it to anyone else, not at all.

Room Tip: They are doing construction at the hotel. If you are staying in a higher floor you will hear them b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank bedlammanor
Reston VA
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here x 4 days and regretted every one of them, since we were invited by a convention we did not move but should have.....breakfast is appalling (had to ask turn blaring TV off twice) watered down scrambled eggs and toast as well as insipid rolls were only option. No towels x 4 hours on second day.....it may be cheap but there are so many options available here at this lovely Miraflores area you should try another hotel....dark green passages....on all floors....Well enough said.

Room Tip: Try another hotel please
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was warned that the hotel had a plumbing problem. All my group changed hotels. I should have listened. Was able to take only 1 shower in 4 days due to no water pressure and no hot water. I complained the first day, but my complaints weren't taken seriously. I now know
they were so used to it, they didnt care anymore. Never saw anyone in charge, only clerks who never wanted to help. Internet was spotty and the restuarant was iffy. My room bill included some one elses lunch on it. Upon check-out, the quoted $$ rate was coverted to local currency and charged at an extra high rate to my card. Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else!!!!!

Room Tip: dont stay on 7th floor, elevator doesnt stop there
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Shawnee, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I was scheduled to stay three days but moved out after the first night. Service was very poor with the exception to the gentleman whom assisted with baggage to and from my room. Both chairs in the front desk area were broken and need to be replaces, dining area was in need of repaid, and the breakfast sucked.
Breakfast that was included with the room rate was eggs, and that was all, my children requested pancakes, took the kitchen over an hour to prepare the pan cakes, and they were served without syrup. I requested syrup for the pancakes, and I was informed that the kitchen did not have any syrup. I had to ask the waiter three different times for a cup of hot office, and each time he brought a cup of warm coffee. Maria Angola may have been a great hotel in past years; however, after my stay on June 28, 2011 I have to say that I will never stay at Marie Angola again. I have traveled through Lima on many occasions, and stayed at several hotels in, and around the Lima area, and have experience nothing like the one night at the Marie Angola. I am sorry to say I have nothing good to say about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family