“Nice Hotel, great deal w/haggle”
Review of Maria Angola Hotel

Maria Angola Hotel
Ranked #183 of 226 Hotels in Lima
Santa Cruz, California USA
“Nice Hotel, great deal w/haggle”
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We got a great room for $60 on almost the top floor. They were in the process of renovation and the halls were a little messy but our room seemed brand-new. They brought up breakfast (room service) with no extra charge. The location is great !
Seemed like a business travelers hotel. Usually we caught cabs on the street and never had a worry, but for our last ride through town with all our luggage to the airport- it was nice to have a nice new car and friendly driver.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
usa
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I stayed at the Maria Angola for about five days in February of 2009. The staff were friendly and extreamly helpful, however the hotel was old and run down....erratic water problems, no bath mat in tub.....had trouble getting on the internet.
Breakfast was decent, but the the staff were slow and you cant get a large cup of coffee anywhere in Peru.

I agree with one other writer...it was closely located near the center of Miraflores and most of all it was a safe place.

If you dont plan on spending much time in your room and doing a lot of sightseeing, although it is a moderate hotel...you will most likely be happy there.

• Liked — the safety and the location near the town of Miraflores
  • Disliked — no coffee pot in the room for the morning...somewhat old, shower water problems
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank louiseannUsa
Maryland
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I stayed at the Maria Angola Hotel in late August. For the price I thought the hotel was fine. The Hotel staff were very nice. My room was very clean upon my return each day. All of my belongings were fine. I even left a small amout ($13) of cash in my travel bag for 5 days and it wasn't touched. Breakfast was adequate, and consisted of juice, coffee, eggs, toast and breads. Room service was available and I had a bottle of wine brought up. The hotel attendant was very polite and even offered to pour it for us. The location is great! It's a short walk to pizza street, the India market, and a grocery store that reminded me of Freshfields. The grocery store was a great find! It had everything from wine to cheeses, and everything you could want. I didn't go to Lima to sit in my hotel room and watch TV. So for a good hot shower and a quiet nights sleep this was a great stay for me. Lima is a city however, so quiet is a relative term!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — room temperature, I like a cold room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 27 April 2008

Hotel is in a good location within walking distance of central park, the ocean, restaurants and stores. After I booked my short stay on a travel website I emailed the hotel and asked them to pick me up. Found the driver at the airport and we made it to the hotel in about 25 minutes. Driver spoke fair English and seemed nice enough, said he has been with the hotel 10 years. The hotel taxi does cost 2 or 3 times what a normal taxi costs but I found the extra few dollars well worth it for the peace of mind.

The hotel lobby area looks nice and there were always one or two door men. The front desk staff were not very friendly and they seemed slightly annoyed when I did need to interact with them. The AC in my room did not work, it would blow hot air no matter what I tried. I informed them twice but nothing was done. It was about 75-80 degrees in my room, I left the window open but there are no window screens. It was not very comfortable without AC and I felt stuck.

The door to the bathroom would not latch shut, the bolt and the striker plate were not lined up. The shower always had hot water but sometimes it was difficult to get to the mixture right.

The room had a large safe which was nice, I could put almost everything in there which was comforting. The house keeping guy shows up early, around 9pm so I it's a good idea to keep the door bolted shut and to hang up the do not disturb sign. I always had enough towels.

I did not eat the breakfast or any other meals there, I just didn't feel comfortable or welcomed. There is a mini bar in the room but I couldn't get mine open but the prices on the card were high. On the street just outside you can find people selling bottled water/soda and snacks for almost nothing. I suggest visiting them if you need something.

There are a few computers available to guests if you want to send some emails but they are being used most of the time. If you want to call cell phones you have to ask the front desk to enable that ability, or in my case ask 3 times and personally visit the front desk.

I do not plan to stay here again, if my AC was fixed or they offered another room when they knew they could not fix it I would recommend it. I think my stay was the exception and not the rule, I saw mostly South Americans there but also some Europeans and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I only needed a place to sleep, I was out most of the time. The area was safe and I walked around at night without issue but it's easy to get lost.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Broken AC
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Lima hotels