“Not as bad as reviews suggest”
Review of Maria Angola Hotel

Maria Angola Hotel
Ranked #193 of 236 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 20 August 2010

The Maria Angola Hotel is a fine place to stay in Lima's hip Miraflores district -- and it is a good deal at only $70 night. The rooms are a bit dingy and outdated, the hallways are dark and uninviting, and the carpet needs to be deep cleaned, but the beds were comfortable, the linens were clean. The business center offers free computer access and printing, many of the rooms have free high-speed internet, the included breakfast is quite good, and the location is hard to beat .. just a short stroll and you are at the beautiful Larcomar shopping complex. An even shorter stroll brings you to places like Manolo's, where you can enjoy tasty churros and coffee, and right outside the door is some of the best antique and artisan shopping in the area. If you need 5-starluxury forget about it, but if you want to save you dough for expensive dinners and nice artisan crafts, stay here. It's not so bad.

BTW -- I traveled with my wife and kids and they thought the place was fine. In fact, the kids loved it!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ViajeroIndiana

Reviewed 11 August 2010

I realize that several reviewers claim to have had a pleasant stay in this hotel, but I seriously doubt the veracity of those reviews. I have just returned from an 8-day trip to Lima which in all ways was wonderful except for my stay at this hotel. I was staying at the Maria Angola, which was the chosen location for our conference. The hotel was giving us a "special rate" at $90 U.S.(supposedly) a night for singles or doubles. Now that I have returned to the States, I find they actually charged more than the rate they promised (not including the cost my bank charged me for the conversion fee).

Problems with the Room and its Amenities
My colleague and I were two of the first four conference participants to arrive at the hotel. We arrived after midnight on Monday morning and witnessed everything that the negative reviews described: filthy carpets, old furniture, old, uncomfortable twin-sized beds (instead of two full sized beds), and what appeared to be over-used bed spreads. The sheets were absolutely white and clean, as well as the towels (but you only get two), and all were changed daily when they cleaned the room. The problems with our room included:1) a shower headed that didn't work properly so the water quite literally drizzled from it; 2) although lacking water pressure, the water that we could get from the shower head came in two temperatures--hot and scalding hot; 3) the fixtures at the sink were broken so we had no choice but to finagle them to get any water at all from it (which, by the way came i both hot and cold); and 4) since we were placed in a corner room, we actually had some sort of louvers in the bathroom that opened to the outside and allowed the cold air from outside to change the inside temperature significantly. Granted, Peruvian winters are quite mild in comparison to what my friend and I are used to, but no one in their PJs wants to feel the the outside temperature inside their hotel room. We did request a room change, and though the daytime staff seemed eager to oblige, she told us that she would find us a room, but never got back to us. 12 hours later, the nighttime clerk had to be asked to move us and only then did we move into a more "acceptable" room. The new room was not a corner room , so we no longer had to worry about drafts, but the beds were no more comfortable than those in the previous room and the carpet and the furniture were identical to the ones we had before. The hotel rooms have both 220 and 110 watt outlets, just as they advertise, however, there is only one of the former and its oddly placed in every room, so they are inconveniently located for the use of hair dryers, flat and curling irons, and clothes irons.

Problems with the Staff
Generally speaking, the staff was helpful. But, I would dare to say that the higher their position, the less you should expect from them. How I felt about the hotel staff and how they felt about the guests changed from day to day. Their service wad hit and miss. So, if you're looking for a hotel with service with a smile, don't look for that here. The hotel offers free "American" breakfasts for every guest. We were expecting a buffet or something similar, but we seated ourselves and a uniformed waiter comes to us and informs us that breakfast consists of fried or scrambled eggs, bread, and coffee. As none of the options were appealing to me or my colleague we decided we would just have tea and coffee with bread. This is significant only because the 2nd morning we ran into other conference attendees in the diningroom and they were eating eggs with bacon. We learned that the "American" breakfast actually included other items that were not offered to us the day before. The fact is that the staff never offers you pertinent information without your asking directly. Small space heaters were available to guests because the hotel is aware of the drafty rooms. The windows on the front side of the hotel do not seal, so those who are cold-natured will certainly find themselves miserable in this hotel during the winter months! However, the only way a cold guest would get one of those space heaters would be if s/he would ask for one. Our conference participants were all Spanish-speakers and much of the staff speaks English rather well, so there was never a problem of communication, so it was clear that the desk staff understood requests, but chose not to follow-through at times. When I asked, the dayrime clerk agreed to take a message I had written for another guest that I could not find. However, the message was never delivered. And, as it turned out, the very same day, that guest I had hoped to contact had asked for information about me and was told they could not give out the information, which in theory, is appropriate. But, when my friend asked the clerk to accept a message to pass on to me, he was told that the staff neither accepted nor delivered messages. The daytime doorman wasn't always cordial and didn't always care to actually open the door to guests, but the night time door man was consistently pleasant. The cleaning staff would earnestly try to make your stay pleasant and comfortable, but don't dare move the tables in the dining room so that 8 people can sit together. As innocuous as this anecdote may seem, it's important to consider the fact that we were having a conference in the hotel and asking to sit together as we discussed issues over our morning breakfast was not asking too much. You would think that we had asked for an omelet or pancakes, in spite of their limited morning menu. There were three already sitting at a table for 4 eating, and 2 more joined, and another, then another. We were the only people in the diningroom and a second table was only feet away, yet the waiter told us we couldn't move the tables, but we could physically move ourselves to a bigger table. One in the group tried to reason with the young man, but he thought it would be just as easy for everyone to pick up their plates and glasses to move to a bigger table as it would to slide a small table two feet to the left. This is not the only example of inexplicable rigidity.

Problems with the Advertisements
There should be some standards about truth in advertising. This hotel is neither modern nor luxurious by anyone's definitions nor stretch of the imagination. I know that there are travelers out there who are looking for a safe, clean space to sleep. This hotel would probably be appropriate for those types. Nevertheless, some of my colleagues checked out of this hotel after one night and found a better hotel just around the corner for only $30 more a night. So, this hotel is not worth the price. One reviewer says he haggled for a cheaper price. I know nothing of that, but if it is possible, I think $30-$60 a night would be a fair price for a single in this hotel, and not a cent more. The front of the hotel faces the busy street and the conference center where during the entire time I was in Lima, there were loud concerts and traffic. The traffic never thins and the horn blowing is part of the driving culture, instead of stopping, they warn the others to yield. The rooms on the back of the hotel were fortunate enough not to have to deal with traffic noise and loud parties, but instead suffered with 7am wake-up calls from the construction crew in the property next door. It is very noisy in this hotel. Do not believe the ads when they say the have sound proof windows. It is absolutely false! They still advertise a casino, which there seems to be many of in Lima, but there no longer is a casino in the Maria Angola Hotel. In the elevator there are advertisements in both Spanish and English with glowing reviews of their three restaurants. Three? That's a total surprise to me. I know of one, the Dimmi Di Si, which is not good for anything except the free breakfast (if you like eggs); just don't forget to ask for the bacon, the bread and a glass of juice. They must cook to order. No one got out of that place in less than an hour. Anything that is not part of the "American" breakfast will cost you a pretty penny. N/º 6 (nuevo soles) for one banana?! Ridiculous! For that price you can get a 1/2 Kilo of bananas at Vivanda (local grocery store). They advertise that the other two restaurants are exclusive and only special guests have access to those floors,. I assure you, there are no other restaurants.

The long and short of it
GO to Lima for the history, the culture, and the food. DO stay in the neighborhood of Miraflores (like the uptown Manhattan of Lima), it's beautiful and safe and there is plenty to see and do before you go to see other parts of Peru, but DO NOT go cheap on the lodging. Lima has many pricing options. No one has to stay in a place like Maria Angola. It's not a family place. It's definitely not for honeymooners. Conference participants will be disappointed too. Though people who are "roughing it" might be willing to chance this hotel, unless you ca bargain a very low price per night, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Negatives: beds, furniture, amenities, service, water pressure

Positives: location, location, location

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelsindiinero
Reviewed 15 July 2010

You get what you pay for and I suppose for Lima this hotel is of some value for your money. If you are not bothered by sporatic internet service, dirty carpets, and street noise this place is O.K.

It has a good location, the area is safe and some of the hotel staff are great while others are poor so service varies greatly depending on who you deal with.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2010

To start with the positive: The hotel has a nice location in the center of Miraflores. A short walk from the Central Park (Kennedy park) or the nice mall, Larcomar, with views over the pacific. The service at the hotel is good, and you and book a sympatic chauffeur to pick you up at the airport or show you around. (Costs a bit more than the taxis, but at least youre in a decent car thats not falling apart.)

Exept the lobby, the hotel is quite worn down. You feel your still in the eightees, and most of the interiour actually is. Our room was big, but worn down, and with old carpet and furniture. The shower was not very nice. You have to wait 10 minutes for the hot water, and when its there, it's difficult to control and the shower has almost no pressure. If you get a room against the road, the noise level is ok, if youre not on the first 4-5 floors. If you get a room towards the other side of the builing, you're facing a huge construction site, and imagine the noise level after 7 o'clock in the morning... The breakfast is good, but quite boring if you're staying for more than a couple of days. The restaurant itself really needs a facelift, as it's quite depressive.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We booked this thru Orbitz having been told it was a 4 **** hotel......there were four of us in two rooms on two diff floors....the lobby was ok but worn - we arrived in Lima at 2 am so nothing to do but accept the rooms. We had booked a double bed but there were none when we checked in. The hallway was dingy, room had dirty brown/green louvred doors, carpet thin and dirty, three twin beds vs one double took up the entire room which was dingy. Underside of blankets had blood stains on them. Safe did not work at all and they could not fix it. Bath small and dingy with intermittent water. We spent four hours trying to sleep but couldnt thinking there were going to be bugs running over us -immeditately cancelled rest of reservation and moved to the JW Marriott Hotel which in our estimation is only worthwhile place to stay in Lima. Only thing good to say about this hotel (and i am trying to be objective) is that the coffee /breakfast was good and it is located on LaPaz which has very nice silver shops and is near the Inca market where you can get some very good silver and alpaca products ...but i would stay at the Marriott and just take a taxi or walk!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We got a great room for $60 on almost the top floor. They were in the process of renovation and the halls were a little messy but our room seemed brand-new. They brought up breakfast (room service) with no extra charge. The location is great !
Seemed like a business travelers hotel. Usually we caught cabs on the street and never had a worry, but for our last ride through town with all our luggage to the airport- it was nice to have a nice new car and friendly driver.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple