“Horrible service”

Ranked #188 of 228 Hotels in Lima
New York City, New York
“Horrible service”
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I was born in Peru but I have been living in New York City for over 20 years. I wanted to visit the place where I was born and I decided to invite my two best friends with me. I am completly sorry for it. My friends loved the city of Lima and the food. However, we were very dissapointed about our hotel. We thought that for $100 a night, we will receive a better service. The location of the hotel was good. However, the service was extremelly poor. When we first arrived; the room was not ready. It was very uncomfortable since we were on a plane for more than seven hours. There was not hot water, the internet did not work, we had to call everyday in order for the internet to be reset. It was extremely annoying, since we could not check our emails. In addition to that the room key did not work either. One day, one of the staff member when inside our room without even knocking. When we check out, we received a bill for two coffees that we did not even order. The staff was rude and did not show any sympathy.The only good thing about this hotel is the location. I will NOT stay in the Maria Angola ever again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Caracas
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We went to Peru to participate in the South American junior athlete games, representing Venezuela. We were lodged at the Maria Angola Hotel in Lima. Returning from the games at night we found that things had disappeared from several rooms; team jackets, expensive sporting equipment, cash (more than 1000 USD) etc. Several locked bags were destroyed in order to get hold of the belongings. It was obvious that these things had been stolen by- or with the help of the cleaning employees of the hotel. We tried to claim this to the responsible at the reception desk, but they were not at all helpful or willing to do anything about what had happened.

We do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Lima hotels

Drammen, Norway
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I and my husband and his friend with a girlfriend stayed at this holet about a week. We got bad service since we arrived. The reception was bad service mind,no smile on their face(I worked in reception before so I knew how to be service mind). I and my husband we should to get double bed,but we got 2 single beds even if we booked hotel via agency. What do you think? I got so angry and asked about new room and what did they said,you know that? They said we don't know you have to talk with your agency. They denied their fault. I asked waht about another day it was possible to change the room for us but they said "We couldn't checke" How was it possible in the hotel system? Next day we down to reception and asked about wireless in the room. But we found that the reception just on the phone don't interested at us so the bellboy had to signal to her at we standed there. I had talk to my husband about to change the hotel but in the one way we hope we gonna get better service but NOT. So we never look at or smile to them anymore since we stayed there. But only one I want to appreciated was a bellboy who I couldn't recognized his name. He was only one a good service in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,502 helpful votes
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We travelled on a budget and stayed in a variety of places of much lower quality than this one, so this review is coming from a place different than some of the other reviews about this hotel. Overall, we liked it, even though it is true that it is not really 4 stars but at $70 for a doble in Miraflores it is good value (trust us we stayed in another hostel before this one and looked nearly everywhere for other options). It is also very clean.
The service was its only problem, specifically breakfast. The waiters were rude, and would offer very different quality/types of food to different people accordingly to some unknown reasoning... If you are willing to spend a bit more than a usual hostel, I would say this is a good place, if you think you will find something up to western standards, you might be a little disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I came to Lima on vacation in August and was looking for a hotel that wasn't going to break the bank but was also fairly clean and safe. In talking with the locals I found the Maria Angola and much to my surprise it matched the description, location, and price that I had been quoted. Located amongst many antique shops in a nice part of town but on a very noisy street. There is a lot of construction going on here grinding and hammering can be heard most of the day. The internet was very good until about 1030pm when it just wouldn't stay connected. The water in the shower was nice and hot with lots of pressure. All in all if you just want to sleep and surf the net, maybe check some email and watch tv then this is a good deal for $80.

Indiana
Reviewed 20 August 2010

The Maria Angola Hotel is a fine place to stay in Lima's hip Miraflores district -- and it is a good deal at only $70 night. The rooms are a bit dingy and outdated, the hallways are dark and uninviting, and the carpet needs to be deep cleaned, but the beds were comfortable, the linens were clean. The business center offers free computer access and printing, many of the rooms have free high-speed internet, the included breakfast is quite good, and the location is hard to beat .. just a short stroll and you are at the beautiful Larcomar shopping complex. An even shorter stroll brings you to places like Manolo's, where you can enjoy tasty churros and coffee, and right outside the door is some of the best antique and artisan shopping in the area. If you need 5-starluxury forget about it, but if you want to save you dough for expensive dinners and nice artisan crafts, stay here. It's not so bad.

BTW -- I traveled with my wife and kids and they thought the place was fine. In fact, the kids loved it!

1 Thank ViajeroIndiana
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I realize that several reviewers claim to have had a pleasant stay in this hotel, but I seriously doubt the veracity of those reviews. I have just returned from an 8-day trip to Lima which in all ways was wonderful except for my stay at this hotel. I was staying at the Maria Angola, which was the chosen location for our conference. The hotel was giving us a "special rate" at $90 U.S.(supposedly) a night for singles or doubles. Now that I have returned to the States, I find they actually charged more than the rate they promised (not including the cost my bank charged me for the conversion fee).

Problems with the Room and its Amenities
My colleague and I were two of the first four conference participants to arrive at the hotel. We arrived after midnight on Monday morning and witnessed everything that the negative reviews described: filthy carpets, old furniture, old, uncomfortable twin-sized beds (instead of two full sized beds), and what appeared to be over-used bed spreads. The sheets were absolutely white and clean, as well as the towels (but you only get two), and all were changed daily when they cleaned the room. The problems with our room included:1) a shower headed that didn't work properly so the water quite literally drizzled from it; 2) although lacking water pressure, the water that we could get from the shower head came in two temperatures--hot and scalding hot; 3) the fixtures at the sink were broken so we had no choice but to finagle them to get any water at all from it (which, by the way came i both hot and cold); and 4) since we were placed in a corner room, we actually had some sort of louvers in the bathroom that opened to the outside and allowed the cold air from outside to change the inside temperature significantly. Granted, Peruvian winters are quite mild in comparison to what my friend and I are used to, but no one in their PJs wants to feel the the outside temperature inside their hotel room. We did request a room change, and though the daytime staff seemed eager to oblige, she told us that she would find us a room, but never got back to us. 12 hours later, the nighttime clerk had to be asked to move us and only then did we move into a more "acceptable" room. The new room was not a corner room , so we no longer had to worry about drafts, but the beds were no more comfortable than those in the previous room and the carpet and the furniture were identical to the ones we had before. The hotel rooms have both 220 and 110 watt outlets, just as they advertise, however, there is only one of the former and its oddly placed in every room, so they are inconveniently located for the use of hair dryers, flat and curling irons, and clothes irons.

Problems with the Staff
Generally speaking, the staff was helpful. But, I would dare to say that the higher their position, the less you should expect from them. How I felt about the hotel staff and how they felt about the guests changed from day to day. Their service wad hit and miss. So, if you're looking for a hotel with service with a smile, don't look for that here. The hotel offers free "American" breakfasts for every guest. We were expecting a buffet or something similar, but we seated ourselves and a uniformed waiter comes to us and informs us that breakfast consists of fried or scrambled eggs, bread, and coffee. As none of the options were appealing to me or my colleague we decided we would just have tea and coffee with bread. This is significant only because the 2nd morning we ran into other conference attendees in the diningroom and they were eating eggs with bacon. We learned that the "American" breakfast actually included other items that were not offered to us the day before. The fact is that the staff never offers you pertinent information without your asking directly. Small space heaters were available to guests because the hotel is aware of the drafty rooms. The windows on the front side of the hotel do not seal, so those who are cold-natured will certainly find themselves miserable in this hotel during the winter months! However, the only way a cold guest would get one of those space heaters would be if s/he would ask for one. Our conference participants were all Spanish-speakers and much of the staff speaks English rather well, so there was never a problem of communication, so it was clear that the desk staff understood requests, but chose not to follow-through at times. When I asked, the dayrime clerk agreed to take a message I had written for another guest that I could not find. However, the message was never delivered. And, as it turned out, the very same day, that guest I had hoped to contact had asked for information about me and was told they could not give out the information, which in theory, is appropriate. But, when my friend asked the clerk to accept a message to pass on to me, he was told that the staff neither accepted nor delivered messages. The daytime doorman wasn't always cordial and didn't always care to actually open the door to guests, but the night time door man was consistently pleasant. The cleaning staff would earnestly try to make your stay pleasant and comfortable, but don't dare move the tables in the dining room so that 8 people can sit together. As innocuous as this anecdote may seem, it's important to consider the fact that we were having a conference in the hotel and asking to sit together as we discussed issues over our morning breakfast was not asking too much. You would think that we had asked for an omelet or pancakes, in spite of their limited morning menu. There were three already sitting at a table for 4 eating, and 2 more joined, and another, then another. We were the only people in the diningroom and a second table was only feet away, yet the waiter told us we couldn't move the tables, but we could physically move ourselves to a bigger table. One in the group tried to reason with the young man, but he thought it would be just as easy for everyone to pick up their plates and glasses to move to a bigger table as it would to slide a small table two feet to the left. This is not the only example of inexplicable rigidity.

Problems with the Advertisements
There should be some standards about truth in advertising. This hotel is neither modern nor luxurious by anyone's definitions nor stretch of the imagination. I know that there are travelers out there who are looking for a safe, clean space to sleep. This hotel would probably be appropriate for those types. Nevertheless, some of my colleagues checked out of this hotel after one night and found a better hotel just around the corner for only $30 more a night. So, this hotel is not worth the price. One reviewer says he haggled for a cheaper price. I know nothing of that, but if it is possible, I think $30-$60 a night would be a fair price for a single in this hotel, and not a cent more. The front of the hotel faces the busy street and the conference center where during the entire time I was in Lima, there were loud concerts and traffic. The traffic never thins and the horn blowing is part of the driving culture, instead of stopping, they warn the others to yield. The rooms on the back of the hotel were fortunate enough not to have to deal with traffic noise and loud parties, but instead suffered with 7am wake-up calls from the construction crew in the property next door. It is very noisy in this hotel. Do not believe the ads when they say the have sound proof windows. It is absolutely false! They still advertise a casino, which there seems to be many of in Lima, but there no longer is a casino in the Maria Angola Hotel. In the elevator there are advertisements in both Spanish and English with glowing reviews of their three restaurants. Three? That's a total surprise to me. I know of one, the Dimmi Di Si, which is not good for anything except the free breakfast (if you like eggs); just don't forget to ask for the bacon, the bread and a glass of juice. They must cook to order. No one got out of that place in less than an hour. Anything that is not part of the "American" breakfast will cost you a pretty penny. N/º 6 (nuevo soles) for one banana?! Ridiculous! For that price you can get a 1/2 Kilo of bananas at Vivanda (local grocery store). They advertise that the other two restaurants are exclusive and only special guests have access to those floors,. I assure you, there are no other restaurants.

The long and short of it
GO to Lima for the history, the culture, and the food. DO stay in the neighborhood of Miraflores (like the uptown Manhattan of Lima), it's beautiful and safe and there is plenty to see and do before you go to see other parts of Peru, but DO NOT go cheap on the lodging. Lima has many pricing options. No one has to stay in a place like Maria Angola. It's not a family place. It's definitely not for honeymooners. Conference participants will be disappointed too. Though people who are "roughing it" might be willing to chance this hotel, unless you ca bargain a very low price per night, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Negatives: beds, furniture, amenities, service, water pressure

Positives: location, location, location