“Average”

Ranked #166 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Newcastle, Australia
“Average”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

It was not by choice that we stayed at his hotel, it was part of our tour but I would recommend against it. It is very old and that is starting to show. For the first two days there was no hot water in the hotel, and after 27hours of travel this did not go down well. When we enquired as to what was going on, the answer was always 10 minutes. It was a very long 10 minutes.
Location wise, it is in a good spot in the city and close to all the attractions. The bar downstairs makes the best Pisco Sour in all of Peru but be careful and they are lethal.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

If you care about cleanliness, then don't stay at Hotel Maury -- under any circumstances. It's not that the place is old, but that they clearly haven't made any investments in upkeep in the last 30 or so years. Stained carpets and walls, dingy towels, uncomfortable beds. The whole place felt nasty. No safe in the room either. If you're from North America or Europe, let me go a step further and suggest that there's really no reason to venture into central Lima at all, never mind stay there for a night. If you must stay in Lima, the Miraflores neighborhood is much cleaner, quieter, and safer, and the hotels there are of better quality. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Lima hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2012

When travelling you have to expect what you pay for and with Hotel Maury it is in your favour. The room is really quite comfortable and surprisingly spacious. We certainly had plenty of room to spread out and it was very well maintained. The location of the hotel is amazing for exploring some of the historical sights of Lima such as the Cathedral and the Catacombs. It is also great for investigating some of the nearby central shopping (malls and the like). The staff are very friendly and accommodating and there was no problem with speaking English. There is always a downside and it is definitely breakfast... woeful (as most are in this area), but breakfast was not the reason we stayed at the hotel and for the small cost of buying something at the supermarket we were not too perturbed. In summary the room is good and the location fantastic and if that is what you are really after then it is worth a look.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy D
New Zealand
Reviewed 9 November 2012

My travel agent had booked my in for 2 nights before and after my trek with a airport pick up and breakfast. There was no one to pick me up from the airport and after a very long delayed flight this was not acceptable. When I rang them they said there was a festival in the city and it would take 1 hour to get to the airport. I caught a taxi to the hotel. I was put in a room that stunk of urine. The next morning I went down for breakfast and was told I could not have any. When questioned and I showed them what I paid for on my voucher they told me I was wrong. When I questioned why they did not pick me up they firstly said that they were there but my plane was late and then they said no that was not included. On going out to the airport for my flight to Cusco I noticed a hotel next to the airport and booked there for my return trip through Cusco.
No apology from this hotel has been forthcoming - but hey I did not expect it. Very bad service and lies from the reception staff.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Close to the Plaza de Armas in Lima is a wonderful old hotel. The gem in the whole place is the bar on the first floor, just off the lobby. Dark wood paneling and a wonderful bar suggest that lots of deals have been struck in this place, deciding Lima's and Peru's future. The waiter who served us has been in the place for decades.

Reputed to be the original home of the pisco sour, this place has history written all over it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Worthy of mention first are the pisco sours which are wickedly strong but also blended rather than shaken which is a big no no. Still delicious. The second mention goes to the breakfast which is horrendous. Cold scrambled eggs, lackluster fruit salad, the omnipresent coffee essence from hell and flat bread rolls. The room was clean, although the sheets were stained. Difficult to get any hot water from the shower. No record of our early check in and we had to produce the email that we had luckily printed out. Not in the safest area but nice and central.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Ok soo writing this at 1:11am as I am staying in the hotel, all afternoon I have had to endure a buzz saw that didn't stop till 11pm due to re building the road outside now there is a bobcat shovelling concrete into a truck....at 1am!!!!! People shouting and carrying on seriously oblivious to the fact there is a hotel here where people are trying to sleep!! Only staying here due to our Andean tour, can't wait to leave this place, previous night dogs barking till 3:30am, the night we arrived shovelling concrete till 3:30 not ideal after 24hrs of flights from Australia!!! So a little over it!! Overall the room clean enough although linen marked stained no hot water to speak of either. Overall hotel smells old and musty, breakfast bread jam eggs and fruit juice. So 1:30am and have just moved rooms at my husbands request this room
one is smaller two single beds but quiet which at this point is preferable.

• Stayed September 2012