“El polo hotel & Mall”

Ranked #103 of 228 Hotels in Lima
Managua, Nicaragua
“El polo hotel & Mall”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I may say El Polo is under remodeling therefore drill, hammer and workers sound is not a plus, but it depends what room you get. Second floor not a good option. Hope they are finished by now.

Front desk girls are friendly and never forget a name, I liked the door man escorted the delivery guy when I ordered chinese food (it was almost midnight and I was starving)

Breakfast is good and the guy serving coffee likes to have conversation about weather and the people in the gym in front of our building, who turn to be other hotel guests, God..I didn’t know working out look so fun when you are enjoying your breakfast in front of them. Forget it…I’m working/vacation and there is a reason I didn’t pack my gym cloth, I wanted to have fun.

I don’t usually eat eggs if don’t make them, hate chewing pieces of egg shell, Yikes! But those eggs seemed delicious and tempting and they were, I think ate a dozen of scramble eggs with two sugar black coffee. Ummmmm.

I had a suite for a very affordable price, king size bed, living room, kitchenette and balcony. Bathroom is so clean and got new shampoo, conditioner and body lotion bottles everyday –hey, I don’t get me wrong …I collect them-oat and glycerin soaps too.

I heard Marriott in Miraflores area is better because of the view to the sea. Well, you must work what you get, right? I was working, my office booked me here so I shouldn’t complaint about location, I speak Spanish so taking a taxi was not difficult at all. Here is an advice, exchange currency, Peruvians don’t trust the US dollar, so in order to make your life easier use Soles instead.

El polo mall is not good, I think someone needs to do more advertising on those stores, they look dead.

As for the food, here is my comment Peruvians, I don’t mean to offend anybody, but your Ceviche is not the best, your food is tasteless and you are afraid of spicy- hot sauce food. You should try the Nicaraguan ceviche, that’s a party of flavors.

I had Tiradito (raw fish) my second night and the waitress warned me about how spice that was, she said: “our ají is too much for some tourists” I said: “Bring it on sister” and I was disappointed, not spicy, not so great. But this is up to you, if you have a decent and soft paladar then it’s perfect for you, I’m more to the dark side.

Bottom line, Lima is great, loved the weather, beautiful landscape, friendly people, affordable/expensive souvenirs, clean streets, good seafood even though is missing something, I definitively will go back, hopefully my office sends me soon, this time I will explore Machu Pichu.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Darlene M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This Hotel is not a luxury hotel, is a business in'n'out hotel, however you get a real deal for your buck, every time I visit Lima I stay here since is really close to the office and I get to avoid traffic which is AWFULLY BAD in Lima, if you need to work near "Surco" or "La Molina" this is the best option, the food is Ok, not bad, but you have a bunch of little REALLY GOOD restaurants around the Hotel in the Little Mall where it is located, the service is Ok, nothing spectacular but not bad at all, this is a non expensive place, Breakfast is good, the internet is so so, not super fast but it works, the location is really good, sometimes at night can be noisy since is in a main avenue, the hotel has an agreement with the Gym next door.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the side that is not facing the street, the noise is terrible on the street sid...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We are staying several weeks at this hotel for business purposes because it is right across the road from where we are working. We were given a "deluxe" room in the sixth floor. The hotel is being remodeled, even though they will not admit it or say so when people check in. The remodeling is right above our heads: hammering and drilling during week days (when we are not in the room) and Saturdays, when we are. The noise magnifies downstairs. We have complained several times but the noise never stops. We have asked to be changed to a different room but they said they do not have any available. They are totally non-responsive and unhelpful. To stop the drilling we had to go upstairs and take the drill away from the worker.

Room Tip: Stay away from the sixth floor. The non-deluxe rooms are small and the queen size bed sinks in the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Lima hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed at POLO HOTEL twice, once at the junior guess room and then at the luxury suite,the rooms were clean and the beds were confortable, the employees were very nice, they offer complimentary breakfast with a lot of choices like different kinds of chesse, bread, juices. I also have room service and the food was great but a little expensive.
I recommend this place if you are on a bussiness trip.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Colombia
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Great hotel.. i stay in a suite and was great. Location, service and room. However room service is OK, i think to pay 4 usd just for the service with fork..spoon and knife it is a little expensive even for my service was only 14 usd.

People on front desk is nice just one lady was all the time with a upset face however no complains at all.

About TV .. it is really small.. of course it is flat screen but i had to wear my glasses.

Price... i can not tell too much because my company paid it but if I have to pay it on my own... almost 200 usd per night .... not really into my top choises... again hotel is good.

• Stayed August 2012
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Very institutionalized and, because of the proximity to the US Embassy (across the street) and booming business of the El Polo district, very over priced at over $200/night. What would have formerly been classified as a mid-range hostel is now going as a semi-premium business hotel. It's not a bad place, just over prices and over sold. Some problems: Very noisy. I had the room at the back, farthest from the main road (La Encalada) and still far too noisy to open my window. Air Conditioner: Very imprecise control means room is always too warm or too cold (it has a digital thermostat but it's no exaggeration to say it was the worst digital control I've experienced with temperature swings of 3 deg C or over 5F common). And it blows hard right over the bed (I would have slept with the window open and AC off but La Encalada is very NOISY until the wee hours.) Bath tub: it's good that they have one, but even with my 5'11" frame it is impossible to safely step out of the tub given how high they've mounted it. They advertise Wi Fi but it mostly doesn't exist (comes and goes, very erratic, very slow). Wired internet is ok - stable but moderately slow. And someone is calling to knocking at the door every hour (seriously) which is more than a little annoying.

On the positive side: Lot's of construction noise in the hotel building. Bed was comfy. Small but functional desk. Directly in front of the US Embassy main entrance. Close to the growing El Polo business district and newest office buildings. Short taxi ride to Jockey Plaza, one of the biggest shopping malls in Lima. Staff were friendly, polite, tried to be helpful, and many were bi-lingual. Included breakfast is ok (weak coffee, uninspired food but pretty typical). The hotel is within the El Polo Centro Commercial, which has some very nice, upscale shops, a couple of pharmacies, several snack/coffee/ice cream shops, Starbucks and (sadly) a McDonalds. And several good restuarants are within a block or so.

El Polo is, otherwise, out of the way of most of Lima and a bit of a pain during rush hour traffic, so the attraction is only the Embassy and local office complexes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, as far from La Encalada as possible.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 June 2012

The room was fine. I very much appreciated access to the nearby health club. The breakfast buffet was okay, but nothing special.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business