“Not a Good Stay”

Basadre Suites Boutique Hotel
Ranked #144 of 234 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 19 March 2013

After reading the reviews and looking at the pictures, I was looking forward to a pleasant stay. That wasn't the case.

The garden is quite nice and the pool is quite small but that wasn't an issue since I wasn't planning to use it. The room was the disappointment. We had room 106 and the first impression was not good. Very small and that would have been alright if it wasn't for other things. Like the mold and the musty smell. My wife could not sleep due to the smell and you have to wonder what kind of mold is in the room.

Obvious what is causing the mold. The shower door does not close tightly so water leaks on to the floor. So tried adjusting the shower head and that doesn't move so wound up with a wet bathroom floor that was yucky to walk on all night even after our best efforts to dry it. The second cause is that water seems to enter from under the front door and not sure what is causing this. Anyways, continual dampness leads to mold and it looks like it is feeding off of some of the drywall.

The bed was worn out and gave me a sore back by morning. The pillow is like a pancake so maybe that helped with the sore back. And the bedding was comprised of one sheet and no blanket - so hope for warm weather lol.

I saw on their website that they boast of multilingual staff - a couple are reasonably fluent in English but others were not and this made for a bit of a challenge.

Maybe one of the rooms on the second floor would have been better and I was totally disappointed and glad that we chose to only spend one extra night in Lima and the extra two in Quito. The room in Quito looks like the pictures.

Room Tip: Pictures can be deceiving.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have been traveling to Lima once a year for the past 9 years. Each time, I have stayed at Basadre Suites for my 10 day visits. I always look forward to staying there. It is quaint and homey, without the plastic impersonal glitz of chain hotels. It has become my home away from home when I am in Peru. The staff is great, and the owners, Joy and Fabrizio, treat me like family. They do whatever they need to to make sure I am comfortable and enjoy my stay, and I see them do this with everybody. The other thing I like about Basadre Suites is that Joy and Fabrizio continue to look for ways to make the hotel an increasingly pleasurable place to stay. The hotel is in a great location, too - easy and safe walking distance to several restaurants and a great upscale grocery store.
Try it. You will not be disappointed!

Duffy

Room Tip: Iam partial to the rooms on the ground floor in the back...stepping out onto the grass and the lovel...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank duffybouy
Reviewed 3 March 2013

If you want a hotel with service, advice and overall kindess, stay here. The owners are the nicest people and can be seen all over the hotel your entire stay. They give you suggestions, make sure you are safe, and help you in every way they can. I have never experienced such an amazing trip because of the stay. When I return, I would stay here again. The group I went with has stayed for the past 12 years and continues to book with them annually. Talk about dedication, you can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: Ask for 104 or 106 those are connected to the outside andit is nice to walk outside to the grass are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
ventassanIsdroLima, Owner at Basadre Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

My wife and I, and now my son, try to be on top of every detail. We enjoy very much helping our guests, it is a pleasure! It was a delight meeting you guys and we hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

The location is perfect 200 mts far from the golf country club and less than a mile away from the business district. Service was great and staff was very attentive. Price was really good and rooms and small restaurant (food was surprisingly great) were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013

I take pride on my employess, they are my most valuable asset! Thank you, on behalf of my entire team.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

My kids and I spend few days at Basadre Hortel in Lima Peru. Was a great place to be, secure, prestine, elegant and with confort. The rooms was alot better than a regular room, with a great pool and atmosfera. I will recommended this hotel to every one. The personnel was educate and ready to help us at all the time. Was a great experience. This boutique hotel is exactly what we was looking. Near to the city on the best area of Lima.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JP B

Thanks for your review; yes, our pool is great, and specially now, our summer season. We hope to see you back, real soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at Basadre many times, I hesitated writing this review since I only stayed there a few hours. I was only passing through Lima on my way to Boliva, then Argentina and back to America. I arrived in Lima late and my flight to Bolivia was early. After arriving at the airport I found my flight had been canceled and the airline was not interested in helping me rearrange my itinerary. I called Basadre suites looking for help. Fiorella was my savior. I explained what had happened and asked would she please help. She not only rearranged my flights, including my return to the States, she contacted the travel agents to let them know what happened. Everything went perfectly. Thanks again to Basadre Suites and Fiorella you saved the day...

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank rawarii
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I’m a 6 months pregnant woman who is also a business traveler and I always look to stay at hotels chains because I know exactly what expected from them during my trips. In my trip to Lima, from the 4 nights I will expend here, I couldn’t book the first night at the hotel chain: they were full and let me know about it. I’ve diced to book that uncovered night at this “boutique hotel”. I thought, “Well it is just one night, what can happen?” happened that, when I got to the hotel: 6 months pregnant, tired and with a full schedule ahead me, they informed that: “we are over booking”. The solution the rude lady offered was that: drove me to a lower rate hotel, what is old, smelly and dark, refused to refund me and blamed Orbtiz for the overbooking, besides to use that tone “I’m doing a favor to you to finding another room”.
The worst experience I ever head with a hotel reservation, whose was already paid! I never stay at that “boutique hotel” and never will!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
ventassanIsdroLima, General Manager at Basadre Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Thank you for your kind review, we wish you the best with your new baby.
As to clearly state, Lima was full when you tried to make a reservation in a major hotel chain. Well, even large hotels have problems dealing with supply and demand. We only have 20 rooms and one of our guests extended his stay, so, upon your arrival we also had a family with an elderly relative and we had no choice, but to send you to another hotel.
Like I said before, Lima was full due to a mining event ''Expomina 2012" and "Mistura" food festival, all hotels were overbooked. We called 22 hotels; The only hotel available was the one you talk about and we had no intention in annoying you or trying to make you feel unconfortable, nor we were trying to save money on a cheap hotel.
I just spend my anniversary in a ''Major Chain Hotel'' and the junior suite was lavishly, but, believe it or not, the sheet that covers the matress was to small and as soon as we lay in bed, the matress was exposed and stay that way all night. So, as you may see: even large hotel chains, does not have every thing under control: I understand that situation and did not post a negative review in trip advisor.
Thanks again for taking your time to write and once again, good luck with your baby.