“Great Location, helpful advice - the perfect place to start a tour of Peru” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Esperanza

and 1 more site!
Hotel Esperanza
Ranked #200 of 226 Hotels in Lima
London
“Great Location, helpful advice - the perfect place to start a tour of Peru”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

I booked this hotel for one night before flying to Lima thinking that this would be a good safe, clean place to stay for my first night, and it ticked all those boxes perfectly so I ended up staying for 2 nights instead.

Max, a manager there, offered me a transfer from the airport at a reasonable rate (via email before arriving) and I took him up on this, which took away the worry of arriving in a foreign country with no Spanish & trying to get a taxi late at night with jet lag.

The hotel itself is in a great location, just 2/3 mins walk from Park Kennedy in Miraflores. It is not cheap by Peruvian standards ($40 per night), but you get what you pay for as it was nice, comfortable & clean and safe.

I travelled on from here to tour all the main highlights of Peru & stayed again when back in Lima for my last night before flying back to London.

Also, its worth noting that Max organises tours in his spare time & I took him up on his offer of his services for my tour of Peru (I had 2 weeks to tour), which was good value & all went exactly as planned. This was ideal for me as I had nothing booked upon arriving to Peru as I had heard it was cheaper to book when you get there (which it was!!!).

Overall, I would recommend this place highly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Philoconnor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

Other than in Aguas Calientes, this was the worst hotel we stayed in during out 3 week trip in terms of ambience & value for your money. I'm not sure what the building used to be, but the lighting in the hallways was terrible and it made you feel like you were walking in a cave. The front desk was nice, but definitely not the same level of customer service we received at other hotels. The furnishings were 'early dorm room/homeless shelter' in nature and the included 'breakfast' was a cup of tea/coffee/juice & piece of bread. We left after the first night. Another hotel three blocks away was the same price, decorated nicely and breakfast included many different pastries, fruit, egg, tea/coffee/juice, etc...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlietuna6
NEW YORK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed at Hotel Esperanza while I was in Lima and had a good experience. It is located on a very quiet street in Miraflores. Even though the highway is close, you cannot hear it at all. It is only a few blocks from Parque Kennedy, a lot of great shops and stores, and tons of great restaurants that Limeños frequent regularly. You can easily walk to Larcomar and the ocean or to the ruins in Miraflores (Huaca Pucllana). I was flying in from Puno/Lake Titicaca in the south and my flight was delayed by 4 hours. Much to my surprise, the taxi I had arranged through the hotel was still waiting on me, which was such a relief ($20 US). The manager Max was still there and greeted me outside and helped me carry my luggage in, and was very welcoming. He met with me the next morning as well and he helped me figure out my trip to the Nazca Lines. Although I ended up arranging the trip myself, Max was/is willing to help his guest book tours, and make reservations for trips. The breakfast was very simple (rolls, jam, juice, and coffee). Its not going to hold you the whole day, but it will get you started, and there are lots of great cafes to go have a nice coffee at later. The room is very simple and quite frankly a bit dark/poorly lit, but it seemed clean. Although the linens looked old, they were definitely clean, and the bathroom, though awkwardly laid out, was likewise clean (and fresh towels are available if you don't recycle!). The room also has a programable safe which is useful, and the building has an elevator as well if you're on an upper floor. There is a computer available with internet access for free, but it was a bit tempermental, but you can easily go to Parque Kennedy and get internet service for s./2.50 per hour ($1 US) at an internet cafe. Overall, I'm giving Hotel Esperanza a good rating, primarily for the value (about $35-40 US/night) and location which you cannot beat. It is not fancy in the least, and if you are looking for a boutique hotel, this is not it. It is however simple and satisfied my needs, and I felt safe and secure even late at night. PS: Do try to bring some Spanish, because the girls working the front desk, though very bubbly and friendly, don't speak much English if at all (but Max does and can help non-Spanish speakers out).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Royal Oak, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Esperanza for two nights while preparing for a a five-nation. two month trip around South America. The Hotel Esperanza was an Excellent place to begin my journey. The room was comfortable, clean and well located. Max saw to it that everything went smoothly and also helped me arrange the Peruvian segment of my journey. We sat down together and I told him the places that I wanted to stop and with his advice we planned an excellent itinerary. Everything went smoothly, as he had arranged all of the transporation and hotel accommodations. There was not a single problem in more than a week's travel. Thanks Max!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

I would definitely recommend this hotel. The rooms were clean and well-kept, staff was friendly and very helpful and it is an ideal location. We stayed at this hotel at the front end of our trip and liked it so much we returned at the end as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Malta - Europe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

We were given a room on 2nd (first) floor which is graded as a "suite" - it was cold, damp, old, way too noisy and dark. Shower rom/toilet was way to pokey. Really too depressing for words. There are so many other better hotels in Miraflores, although you may have to pay two to three times the price of Esperanza. But as a start to an otherwise fantastic holiday, our nights at this hotel were truly depressing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank micvig
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

We were supposed to stay 4 nights and had arranged (and reconfirmed) a transfer from the airport. Upon arrival, we waited for 20 minutes, checking out all the signs, then finally gave up and took another taxi. When we arrived at the hotel, we were surprised to see how dark and depressing it looked inside but given our extensive travel experience (we did a year-long world trip in 2007-08) we were prepared to give it a chance. The girl at the front desk did not inspire confidence. She photocopied our passports, handed us a key and motioned for us to go to our room. Once there, we discovered the windows were open and although it was not raining, the towels and bedding were all wet. The bathroom and the room itself did not look clean and after a couple of minutes we decided four nights was more than we could handle here and that we would tell the front desk we had changed our minds and go elsewhere. Having found another hotel (actually, three more since we couldn't get four nights at any one place), we checked our email and discovered a nasty note from the owner giving us heck for not taking his driver and accusing us of changing our minds based on the whim of whatever taxi we had taken. I calmly explained why we changed our minds - the state of the room we were given and the lack of interest in our leaving shown by reception. He was fine after that but it certainly underlined how right we were in making the decision to leave. I don't know what the other rooms were like but all I wanted in a hotel was something clean and warm and this wasn't it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family