“Helpful and pretty good price for Lima centre”

Hotel Soul Mate Inn
Ranked #127 of 230 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The best of this place was Juan Carlos who helped me out with a deal on price for a few nights stay and looked after most of my luggage when I left the city for a week.
He was so helpful and a lovely friendly chap - one of the nicest I've met in over a decade of traveling with work and as an independent traveler on all budgets.
For me the hotel was well located - a little far from the main action - but a block away from a cliff top park which was stunning and great for morning exercises.
The neighbourhood was real Lima with good little local shops, markets etc.
The hotel rooms were spacious, with internet, with a small table and chairs.
For the location and price I was happy.
The only downside for me was that the young girl on reception was at times charming and at others downright horrible and rude. Shame, because she didn't fit in with the rest of the staff who were great. Maybe she just didn't like my face :)
However, despite that, I'd still recommend the place and I will go back when I head to Lima again.
I loved the neighbourhood and there is a superb restaurant around the corner with great food and lovely owners. Ask Juan Carlos where it is.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have more light, but a bit more
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mahoola

Reviewed 3 May 2011

This hotel is located in a quiet place in Miraflores, so if you are interested in having a good rest this is a perfect place for you.

However, it is far away from the main attractions in Lima. We had to take taxis for everywhere we want to go.

The hotel service is very good, friendly people able to help when we requested, but I think the continental breakfast could be better for the room price.

2  Thank Luz015
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We reserved a 5-person room for 2 nights for S/.270 per night. We confirmed the reservation and that the hotel would send a car to the airport for us.

The car did not arrive at the airport. We had to pay for a taxi out of our pockets with no offer of reimbursement from the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel, the desk staff tried to change the room rate and screw us on the exchange rate. They also wanted a 10%+ surcharge for using a credit card, which they had not previously disclosed.

When we were shown our room, it was a cramped king sized room, with a full bed and 2 twin beds, and barely enough remaining floor space for our carry-on luggage. When we returned to the front desk and told him that the room was not set up for 5 people, he told us that 2 people could share the full bed, and that he would add another twin. Where? There was barely enough room our our luggage, remember? Was he going to stand the bed up vertically? Was he going to stack it onto another bed?

So he took us to another room, with 4 twin beds so close that they were all touching.

We asked for the internet password so we could find outer accommodations, but their internet didn't work. We tried to call a taxi from their coin phone, but the pay phone didn't work. Meanwhile, the hookers and their johns came and went from their hourly-use rooms. We had never left a hotel before, but we ran for our lives from Soul-Mate.

We found a hotel up the road for a few dollars more, with none of the filth, scams or hooker, and with huge clean rooms.

Avoid this place.

8  Thank PatientTraveler2011
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We've traveled the world and all around South America and Peru, and our expectations are not unrealistically based on a North American or European model. We know accommodations can be challenging. But even in the most spartan facilities, the attitude of the staff overcomes. Hotel Soul Mate stands above and beyond the rest in the dishonesty and indifferent attitude of it's staff.

We arranged our visit three months in advance and I confirmed the reservation and transportation from the airport the week before arrival. Nevertheless, no one was at the airport to meet or drive us when we arrived from Cusco. We called from a pay phone and spoke to a woman who understood English bcause I don't trust my Spanish over the phone. She said they didn't have us listed as reserving a driver from the airport -- fair enough, mistakes can be made. I asked for her address a number of times and she spoke so low I couldn't hear her. I had to ask, seriously, about six times. She cautioned me that it shouldn't cost more than 30 soles for the ride from a taxi.

We found a cab (after being warned by everyone and their mother to NOT take a cab from the airport) who wanted 75 soles but eventually took 50.

Fast forward to hotel arrival. First they tried to overcharge us. I had confirmed s rate of US$90 per night for a quad room plus one bed. They insisted that we pay roughly 15 percent more because they converted the soles using an inflated exchange rate (which we did not witness anywhere else in the country). They also insisted on charging 3 percent for using a credit card which was not disclosed previously. When we showed them the correct math, they feigned ignorance but said we could pay in cash the next day (when we could get to an ATM). This is where we left it.

Then we were sent to our room. We understand a quad plus one room to mean a room that would sleep five. The first room we were given had three beds, one of which could be called a double if you stretched it. With the three beds in the room, virtually no floor space remained for luggage or anything else. When we brought the front desk man up to ask for a different room, he told us we could fit two of our children into one of the single beds. When we said no, he said he would bring up a fourth bed. We had no idea where he could put it unless he stacked it on one of the other beds or stood it upright. So we asked for a different room. The second room he gave us had four single beds, and he said that my husband and I could sleep in one of the singles together. Seriously. With both rooms available, the problem could have been solved, easily, by offering us the second room. But no. This may have been a good business decision in the short term since they appeared to be renting out the rooms to couples for a "daily rate." In fact, in the hour we sat in the lobby waiting to get a ride somewhere else, we did see two "couples" come and go.

When we realized this was not what had been advertised, we tried to log into their free internet to find other accommodations. That too did not work as advertised. So we tried to use the pay phone. Didn't work.

The entire time we sat in the lobby waiting for a ride somewhere else, we were ignored by the two front desk employees. On our way out, the woman who spoke English said, "I'm sorry there was a problem," which was the first time she had acknowledged us since denying the correct price for the room.

If you go here, be forewarned.

5  Thank evieao
ISOUL, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Soul Mate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear Sir or madam.
First of all, sorry if you had problems with your reservation, which I inquired with the front desk staff about what really happened and they refer me the following:

That you did ask for a quad room, but 06 people came so they could not enter that room so we offered an additional twin room for them to be comfortable; when you made the reservation, we didn’t got informed about that 6 pax were going to come, if we knew about it, we would have offered 02 Triple rooms or 1 Quad + 1 Twin room.

Concerning the airport shuttle service to the hotel, we apologize, because it was error of a receptionist taking your reservation and had not reported the details of your flight, we made appropriate corrections.

Regarding to the staff of the Hotel Soul Mate Inn
Honestly it is impossible that you was treated badly, we are known for having a
first-class attention, all the staff are very friendly and polite to our customer service.

We provided free internet therefore you could contact another hotel and they even were helped with their luggage, IN HONOR OF TRUTH you left because they wanted to pay for 06 passengers only for 4 pax.

Regarding the type of change that you refered me, it was 2.70 per dollar, so to avoid the problem of conversion of the dollar we suggested you could pay in cash.

Anyways, grettings from all the Soul Mate Inn Hotel staff.

Reviewed 3 March 2011

Soul Mate inn is a fantastic hotel, rooms are impeccable, service is fantastic the staff very friendly all time and the food just delicious. All details are well taken care of details that you notice after so many trips and the location of the hotel couldn't be better. Just a minute of the beach and the beautiful parks.

We sincerely enjoyed our stay at this nice hotel

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pam-4020
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We stayed in this hotel twice and every time the service was excellent, rooms are impeccable, the location is good, the personal very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I stayed twice in this hotel in 2010, each time around 2months. In the area of Miraflores, for a hotel of 3stars, if you stay for a month, they have almost the best price. My first stay is usd450 per month, my second stay is usd600 per month. As far as I know, this is the best price I can get for a 3star hotel in Miraflores.

The other things like hotwater, wifi, snack bar, etc is acceptalbe considering the price. And it is surprising to see that they have safe box also.

The receiption is friendly and the people there is warm hearted.

In general, if you are looking for a good price at the best district in Lima, this can be your option

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
ISOUL, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Soul Mate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear guest
Thank you very much for your comment about us, it was a pleasure to serve you in our hotel. Your opinion is very important to us, anytime you require to stay in Peru, you can write us to our
e-mail: reservas@soulmate-inn.com , so we will be glad to serve you again with spcial rate.

Best regards