“Disappointed”

Hostal Pukara
Hostal Pukara
Ranked #170 of 372 Speciality Lodging in Lima
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hosts are very helpful and friendly. the hotel seemed to be extremely busy, especially with locals. and they seemed to be very happy there. We on the other hand could not share their feelings. I must admit that I feel that the offered quality is very poor.
the room we stayed in is in urgent need of CLEANING (a very deep clean) it needs a new coat of paint EVERYWHERE, new tiles in the bathroom (lots of tiles are simply broken) new taps (the taps are ancient, half broken and really dirty). Heating would be great too, it does get quite chilly... I also do not think that the linen was changed - I found all sorts of traces in the beds from former travelers and / or insects. The location is not bad, but there are better hotel options closer to the more touristic parts of Miraflores. We generally found that hotels in Lima are very expensive although very basic in what they offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ziggy0027

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We actually had booked to stay at the Hospedaje San Antonio but got driven to this hostal from the airport and were not given any explanation on arrival why we had been moved to this hostal instead of San Antonio (which I had booked long ago before our arrival with many email confirmations) - as we were pretty tired by the time we got there we just wanted to get some good sleep as we had an early (3am) bus departure from Lima to Paracas/Nazca the next day - well we actually ended up hardly getting any sleep at all - first started by loud speaking/laughting from people down the patio just below our window till quite late - when this stop then the next door family started with their kids running around the place screaming their head off, slamming doors, etc... completely out of control - it is when I got up very exhaspered went down to the reception area, where there were absolutely nobody and finally told off the father who felt very apologetic and after a little while silent came back - but not for very long before some people out on the pavement got on speaking and laughtly very loudly - we eventually fell asleep of exhaustion before getting waken up by our alarm at 2.30am as planned - I specially made sure I walked down the stairs making as much noise as possible to wake all of these people who had kept us awake most of the night... during the day I got our Paracas/Nazca agency (Adventure to Peru) to find us a better accommodation for our following 2 nights in Lima which he did... as we turned up to pick-up our luggage from Pukara, the place was dead silent and the owner couldn't understand why we wanted to move but the booking was already made... after explaining why we were moving he could quite comprehend that noise after 11pm wasn't acceptable... Also the room was very basic and quite sad looking - ended paying more but got a better place.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Not a place/room i recommend specially to single females travelling..the room is bang in the lobby area and kitchen so lots of noise- people leaving/coming etc. Its cold shabby and the door doesnt have an proper inside latch or anything tho reception guy insists its locked once i close it from inside!
No hot water. I had done a tour with Golden Destinations and am disappointed wth what they put me in after a long days flight.
Def not worth d price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2012

There are several reasons why I don't reccomend this hostal:
1)We booked their airport pick up, but nobody showed up,
2)The room was very cold and hot water didn't work properly
3)We had a room just above the reception, and that means noise all night long
Otherwise, the hotel is in a good and safe position near a beautiful, quiet Miraflores park and only 10minutes walk from the area's attractions, and there are many facilities such as laundries and supermarkets.
The staff was kind and useful, but tried to sell us tours we weren't interested in; I don't know if and how they speak english, because I'm italian and my girlfriend peruvian, so we spoke spanish.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mankind84
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Hostal Pukara is more like a hotel than a hostal. The rooms are all ensuite and are clean and comfortable. It was a delight for us to be able to get away from the hustle and bustle of Lima, an opportunity offered by this delightful hostal. It is situated on a very quiet street in a residential district and yet is only a 5 minute walk to a Wong supermarket, and less than 10 minutes to the likes of McDonalds and Starbucks. The Park Kennedy is 15 minutes away and is a similar distance to the mall by the Marriot.

The manager was really helpful and very gracious when we said we would be unable to stay the second night as originally planned.

A good breakfast is available and tea and coffee is available all the time.

All in all, a very good place to stay if you are on a budget in Lima!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Will D
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The room itself is a little below average - being very old but the bed was comfy enough and wifi was good. Unfortunately my room was located immediately above the reception area and it was terribly noisy throughout the time I was staying there. In fact, one morning got woken up by someone singing at the top of his voice (presumably someone having breakfast downstairs was extremely happy).
Location wise it was ok - quite a walk to get to Larco Mar or to Park Kennedy.
Service also was a let down as they got confused with a tour that I had already paid for and tried to organize another tour for me.
Will not be returning to it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank triptattler
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Hostal Pukara is more then a hostal, more of a small, simple hotel. It its located in Lima, Peru
At 130 Gonzales Larranaga st.
San Antonio Miraflores.

The choice of me staying here was because my trip with Intrepid Travel uses this location as start of the tours of Peru.

Good location as its in a safe location and good neighbourhood and part of Lima.

It is a safe location as gate is always locked so no worries of anyone not welcome coming up to your room.

Rooms were simple, but there is a TV provided and bed was good to sleep on and clean.
There was good hot water from shower, sink and the toilets flushed quite well.

Lobby is simple but does the job. It has good front desk service, attendant was always available. Friendly service and always at attention.
There is a computer at front for internet and that was available most of the time.

Breakfast in mornings was good, it was bananas and apples and some buns, which were good.As well jam and cream cheese was provided.
There was a selection of coffee, tea and some juice available. Just remember to your dishes back in the sink.
For those more adventurous, there is a kitchen provided and dishes so you can cook on your own as well.

It is a good start location for anyone going to take in some time in Lima, Peru.

The costs are very affordable for most people who only care about having a place to sleep. Nothing too fancy, but that is ok if your looking to save money and just looking for the basics. Very good value.

The transfers provided are very good. I booked mine through email and Jose who worked as the transfer guy was at the airport waiting for me as per my request. To which he greatly deserved his tip.

Overall I recommend this accomodation for many, who are up to save money. You will be getting good location, that is safe and a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2009