“good diner in a spanish colonial decorum”
Review of Jose Antonio

Jose Antonio
Ranked #111 of 2,653 Restaurants in Lima
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Isidro
Reviewed 2 July 2014

They offer all the most known and unknown peruvian food classics. Nice place to go to, good meals to taste and to share. You can go there without hesitating.

Un cadre colonial agréable. Les grands classiques de la cuisine péruvienne. Bonne adresse, sans surprise (ni bonne, ni mauvaise d'ailleurs!!)

There are newer reviews for Jose Antonio

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very elegant from the valet service all the way to the tablecloths and impressive decorations of authentic colonial and more recent artifacts worth a few pennies. That didn't influence my demanding appetite and curiosity of the quality and taste of their cuisine.

A good friend of mine who shares the same culinary weaknesses as mine invited me allegedly to "a very god place to eat".

I wasn't letting myself get impressed or biased because of the setting, not even when I saw the fairly small sized buffet they had layed out.

After toasting to an excellently prepared pisco sour (good sign) we proceeded to "the äction". Some people may think of it as exagerated but to me eating is like a ritual, sometimes almost orgasmic.... with all due respect to the seriousness of gastronomy.

Enough small talk!!! Every different dish that I purposely tasted separately. Was out of this world. I have cooked most of what I tasted taht day and with all fairness I couldn't cook them as good as what I ate. I do consider myself a good cook and a few other people that where regulars when I used to own a food establishment. I am modest though and very honest as far as food and the degree of "awesomeness". Excuse some of the expressons but I do claim artistic liberty when writing about food sessions (including my grammar).

I do recommend the sachimi perfectly cut fresh fish smothered with heavenly pepper sauces .

Also the Lomo Saltado which is a sauted tenderloin chuncks with onions peppers and tomatoes marinated in a secret smoked flavored soy sauce. The only way to achive that perfect flavour in this dish is to have a burner that can heat up to very high temperatures such as in chinesse kitchens.

Jose Natonio has won the first plave about 8 or more ye4ars in a row with their Lomo saltado. The whole lobby and barf area is filled up with awards and certificates of excellence in their prpeparation of this dish and their food in general.

They have a small table with a few desserts but the waiter has already told me that the best dessert had to be ordered on demand and that he would bring us a couple of portions of the best crema volteada I have ever tasted. This is something in a class by itself, angels food or something very special that nobody should die before tasting in their lives....

I will leave the rest of the comments for you to experience it personally because words just fall short of the experience I had that day.

I would most definately recommend this restaurant and would come back and keep on comming back.

That place is among the very top best in my book.

Kudos.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

They recommend us this restaurant, and to be honest I was expecting more, a very traditional place in Lima, Peru. The food is traditional and fare, but not out of this world.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Trad.
The best "Lomo Saltado" (cook-up of beef, onions, tomato) in Lima the way your (Peruvian) Grandmother used to make it.
Or for a new twist on Lomo Saltado go to Gastón Acurio's Tanta restaurant.

1  Thank MJS1944
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

It is an old restored house, with nice food and very good service. The ceviche was excelent but the main course was average.
I eould come back