“Some good, some bad - there are better options.”
Review of Casa San Martin

Casa San Martin
Ranked #52 of 333 Lima B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel has some pluses and minuses, but overall I can't recommend it.

First the good things - the staff is really nice and friendly (although the person who checked us in didn't speak any English). The included breakfast is simple but good, with delicious bread and fresh fruit juice. The location is good, it's on a somewhat quiet side street that is easy walking distance from a lot of things in Miraflores (like the Larcomar shopping area on the cliffs).

The downside was the room itself. It smelled very musty/moldy. It looked old and faded. The bathroom was small and water was warm (not hot). Beds weren't comfortable. The room didn't feel secure, because there were windows opening to the stairway and another window opening to the hallway/atrium that didn't lock.

Overall it wasn't worth the price, and another hotel we stayed at in Barranco was much much better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and I have enjoyed my stay in many ways.
The hotel arranged for a pick-up at the airport and it all went smoothly. I was given a room on the top floor, right by the terrace. I had paid for a single room but was given one with a double bed, and the en-suite bathroom also had a bath. There was plenty of hot water for my shower.
Nights in Lima were a bit cold but there were plenty of warm blankets in the room so I slept very well. Little or no noise from the nearby streets.
Breakfast was amazing, all freshly prepared and included eggs to your choice (with cheese or ham included), coffe or tea, fresh orange juice, fresh fruit (not tinned!), butter and jam, and three types of yammy fresh bread. The hotel staff and the owner were very helpful, they arranged for taxis and my bust ticket to Cusco (at no extra cost than the official price).
I felt pretty safe there and I felt my belongings were pretty safe too (even if there was no safe in my room). The wi-fi worked both in my room and in communal areas. If you are looking for a cosy, colonial style, no-frills friendly hotel, this is an excellent choice..
Some of the reviews I read before going there mentioned some problems with the structure including mold and tiles missing: well the place may not be new or newly refurbished, and there may be some improvements to do here and there, but overall it felt and looked a clean, safe and enjoyable place to stay in Lima. I enjoyed my stay and I will definitely return there when in Lima.

Room Tip: The hotel is smoke-free throughout, so if you are a smoker, ask for a room on the top floor by the t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Moorea2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I chose this hotel - in spite of some Trip Advisor reviews. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful much beyond what was necessary. They gave me a room with a balcony, a heater, a refrigerator, an in-room safe, and hot water. The room overlooked the road, but was not noisy, but I live in a city so am not bothered by city noises. Whether I needed late breakfasts, help getting other meals, recommendations for trips, taxi services...every single thing I ever asked for, it was provided. When a friend from the Sierra arrived to join me, there was no problem. The building is an art nouveau style building of post WW1 era, typical of Latin American cities with an open garden in the centre where I had breakfast one warm morning, and rooms, 'salons' for use by hotel guests, stairways, and an elevator that operated perfectly. Excellent breakfasts cooked to order. This is not a 'high rise, glass and steel, tower.' I have stayed in super luxury North American-style hotels in Lima... but that is not Lima. If you want to experience the real Lima in a safe, clean, well-maintained hotel with the best staff available, I highly recommend Casa San Martin -- I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I loved my 4th floor room and its balcony. Sunny in the daytime, safely-locked at night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Marsha M
Reviewed 9 September 2013

On the positive side - the hotel staff are very nice and helpful. They made tour reservations for us and recommended restaurants. We slept in our first morning after at 1:30am arrival and they were very accommodating serving us breakfast. The taxi pick-up and delivery went as planned. The hotel is well-situated in Miraflores and we were able to walk around the neighbourhood.

On the negative side - the room smelt like cat pee, probably the humidity but not pleasant. The bed sheets were damp with all the humidity. The floor in the room was so dirty our socks and feet ended up black but it was cleaned the next day. No bottled water in the room - with our late arrival it was not possible to purchase any for the morning. There is no safe in the room and they open the interior windows to catch the breeze during the day so there is no security for your belongings.

Overall, we should have paid a little more and stayed in a better hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cindy R
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I chose this hotel from Trip Advisor reviews and Lonely Planet's write up (to be fair the 2010 edition, which I think has been updated).

On the good side, the hotel staff were nice, the taxi pickup from the airport worked perfectly and was good value. The room size was large and there's a lift for luggage.

However, although the hotel is not very old, it's pretty tired. In our bathroom the ceiling was covered in mould and damp and patches of paint actually fell off during our stay. My bedside light was dangerous with exposed wires and the light over the mirror had a smashed cover. The shower cubicle leaked and our cleaner told us off for not using the bath mat to sop up the water!

It's cold in Lima at the moment and there was only one blanket on the bed originally, so we were cold.

We paid $78 a night and there are better places to stay in Lima than this for about the same price. I wouldn't go back here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was an excellent, moderately priced hotel with reliable airport transfers, clean rooms, hot showers, and an excellent location in the Mira Flores District near the Pacific Ocean and quite a few good restaurants. The staff spoke English and the early morning wake up call came in right on time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We arrived in Lima after several days trekking to Machu Picchu. Our cab driver was late and we we got scammed by a guy at the airport (very official looking, excellent fake airport ID) for 100 soles. This was our fault for not being careful enough but it turned into an argument with the staff which was probably due mostly to language considerations. All this led to a bad feeling about Lima in general. The manager, Lidia, did her best to make us feel better and the staff honestly tried to help us out after the misunderstanding but we never felt comfortable there. Breakfast was excellent but the building needs serious work. Lots of peeling paint, a few tiles missing from the bathroom and when you shower there's water all over the floor from a leak somewhere behind the wall. Again, after the misunderstanding the staff was great but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the street side, it can get noisy. Also, before you go to bed at night...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple