“Great relaxing stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sacred Valley
The Green House Peru
Ranked #1 of 179 Sacred Valley B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great relaxing stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Spent three nights here to start our trip based on a recommendation from a friend. Lived up to its billing on trip advisor! Green House was an excellent way to unwind from work, begin our vacation relaxed, and acclimate at altitude before beginning our four day Inca Trail hike. Situated approximately midway between Pisac and Urabamba in the Sacred Valley, the views from the lodging are incredible. Rooms are cozy and well priced and since there are only four rooms things will be peaceful. Kelly is relatively new to her job as owner and host, but you would never know based on how well things operate. It is possible to get here via local/regional bus from cusco, but it requires some effort. Alternatively and far less stressful is to spend $40 US on a taxi and enjoy a couple hours comfortable ride and likely a few picturesque stops overlooking the valley.

The location of the lodging, discussed above, makes it easy and very cheap ($1-2 US) to get around in the Sacred Valley since there is only one road. Getting to the Inca ruins at Pisac or Ollaintytambo takes an hour or so each way. Arranging a taxi to Salineras and Moray is also very doable and affordable (< $30 US). We didn't do it, but you could likely rent a taxi for the day for $50 US.

The location of the lodging, 90 minutes cab ride from Cusco, might be a negative to some although it really shouldn't be. For reasons mentioned above it is well worth the time spent and extra cab fare. Perhaps the only other possible negative is that given it's not in a large city, there are no good dinner options within walking distance - however dinner can be arranged at the Greenhouse for a fee of 55 soles/person and is amazing (3 course meal, of Peruvian dishes complete with candlelight to make for a more relaxing dinner than at any restaurant). For outside dinners we'd suggest a cab to a nearby city at night as opposed to taking the bus. Breakfast is included in price of rooms. Plenty of time for busy restaurants in Cusco and Lima! Would definitely recommend to friends and have already recommended it to fellow travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WilsonRM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

What a perfect place to stay! I delayed in writing my review and sadly forgot. It is a magnificent place to stay and all of my friends have been given directions to this place. I stayed here four years ago with Bryan and Gabriel and have to say it was wonderful feeling like I was coming home. Kelly is a dear and thoughtful person and is carrying on their tradition of hospitality. Not only is this a beautiful place but it is set in the middle of a magnificent Valley in a community of warm and caring people. Beware though, you may never want to leave.

Stayed October 2013
New York, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Kelly, oh Kelly. How I miss thee. I can honestly say without any hesitation that our stay with you was the best part of Peru for me. Albeit I trekked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu twice, and stayed at the Green House twice since 2009, there was something truly magical about this stay. I was healing from a case of the sorest knees of all time, and you did everything in your power to make us comfortable. The food was delish; the bed super comfy; the shower nice and hot; the garden sunny and dreamy. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Hope to see you again, my dear. Keep up the flawless work! Nothing but love from Joey and Alina...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I regret NOT staying there longer. I only had one night and was absolutely not enough. Words can not describe this magical place, the garden, room, food or hospitality. Kelly .... Thank you so much for making the stay very memorable. I know I am not the only one feeling that way. One reason I will go back to Peru..is this place. I didn't get enough.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SoheilD
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner just spent 2 blissful days at the Green House. The house itself is beautifully decorated and our bedroom was so comfortable. There is an amazing garden that I could sit in forever. Kelly was the perfect hostess and immediately we felt relaxed and at home. She even put hot water bottles in our bed at night. We had dinner both nights and the food was fresh and delicious. One of us has dairy and gluten allergies and Kelly went above and beyond to accommodate this. Thanks Kelly from Rosie and Toby.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie O
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Sacred Valley is filled with riches and this hotel is definitely a hidden gem scoured between a picturesque mountain setting. This B & B along with its host make your get away seem like a dream. There is magnificent attention to detail that will enchant you right up until you doze away listening to the sound of the nearby river.
This is honestly the best stay I have experienced in Peru hands down.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickS77
Wanakena, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am reluctant to be the first person to not give The Green House a perfect rating; but I rely on Trip Advisor almost exclusively to plan our trips. I feel an obligation to the next traveler.
Kelly, has recently taken over the running of the B & B from Bryan and Gabriel who by all reviewers did an excellent job. We feel that she isn't as natural a host and doesn't anticipate guests' needs as they may have. A few examples are: breakfast was to be served at 8 am each day. I went looking for coffee at 7:15 on our first morning. The kitchen was dark and silent; so I made the coffee myself. We then could enjoy it and the quiet morning out on the patio overlooking the beautiful gardens and watching hummingbirds. Kelly came in later and had no problem with my taking the initiative to make the coffee. However, on the second and subsequent mornings no effort was made to have coffee or kitchen available earlier than post 8 am. Another example was that the afternoons/evenings were quite cool and damp. A fire in the fireplace would have been greatly appreciated. Only on the last of our 4- nights stay did my husband start the fire which Kelly then attempted to keep going.
The food at The Green House is good but the menus are repetitive. Our breakfast was the same (fruit bowl, toasted bread and scrambled eggs) each of 4 mornings. We had two evening meals there. A pureed vegetable soup was served each time. Only on the last night did we learn she had wine available to purchase.
The location requires car transportation to visit the attractions in the Sacred Valley which turned out to be at least 45 minutes to an hour in each direction. Usually the day trip costs about 60 or 70 soles each way (around $25 USD). A driver for a day was 150 soles (about $57-60). Using the bus is inexpensive but very time consuming. Hot water for showers was not always available. Over the 4 days, I had two cold showers. The water is heated by solar with an electric backup that isn't turned on anticipating need. Our bill was figured out with an app on her phone... nothing in writing. I'm sure it was accurate and fair; but a receipt would have been nice.
The Green House is truly lovely with a stunning view. With some time and experience we think Kelly will be deserving of the #1 rating that Gabriel and Bryan earned. We hope comments like this help that process.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Annette C
thegreenhouse, Owner at The Green House Peru, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
My dear Annette

Thank you so much for your feedback. I take seriously all of my guests experiences. Although, I am a bit perplexed because I had no idea about some of the issues you are expressing and it is unfortunate that you didn't mention one single positive other than the scenery. To name a few- I went out and bought you bottled water (even though I have water here for refilling bottles) and chocolates upon arriving at your husbands request. Scheduled a walk for you with my neighbor, which you both said you absolutely loved, so that you could accompany him throughout the valley, Sharing and including you in our intimate community here. Upon your return, you enjoyed a surprise mimosa my neighbor and I made. Despite my wifi policy being very clear that it is from 5-10 in the evenings, every morning you asked me for it, and I did not once say no. Upon needing it one morning while I was preparing breakfast and unable to fetch it immediately, you went over to my house and stood at my entrance to get some kind of connection, but again I did not tell you no as I wanted you to be content and happy here. I make it very clear to all my guests to please feel comfortable coming to me with any questions or needs whatsoever. I cannot change something of which I am unaware. My door can be knocked on in the middle of the night if need be, and it has been before. If I am not aware of the water not being hot, how can I turn on the electric to bypass the solar power? Yes the hot water is run on solar power here with the option to switch into electric power if the sun was not powerful enough that day, due to rain, etc. But I don't leave the electric on all the time because it would defeat the purpose of running on solar and conserving energy. So I really depend on my guests to communicate with me on the rare occasion it is not as hot as one would like it.
As for the fire- perhaps because you weren't here every evening and when you arrived later you went straight to bed, you failed to notice my other guests eating dinner or sitting in front of the fires I made every night. I start my fires around 630 before the sun goes down fully so that the fire is in full blaze for dinner and relaxing afterwards. You were more than welcome to have requested one earlier on the couple days you stayed at the property to enjoy the fire. I would have more than happily started one for you! The one night I did not start a fire, no one was in the hotel for dinner and you were coming back late, and based on the other nights, I knew you would be going straight to bed, I assumed there was no point to have a fire as no one would be able to enjoy it. It can be a bit cold and damp during the rainy season here as you said, but that would be expected anywhere at high altitude and a wet climate. February/March, while beautiful and lush and green, are also the slowest times as it is peak rainy season but generally speaking very mild in temperature.
You are correct- breakfast is from 8 until 10 every morning. It is a continental breakfast included in the price of the room. It is the same at any other hotel you go to in Peru, however mine is not a buffet, it is made fresh, with local fruits, freshly baked bread from the next town over and French press coffee. I am in the kitchen at 7 unless my guests leave early for Machu Picchu or other excursions. I don't run a tight ship- I don't like that energy. This is a place of relaxation, while I still have my American punctuality and drive, it is nice to be living somewhere where it is okay to slow down and breathe. Because breakfast is at 8 depending on when guests wake up, I don't have a reason to be in my kitchen before 7 so I use my mornings to take care of things in my home before heading over to the lodge. I have a kitchenette here for my guests that I explain can be used for whatever they need. Along with having complimentary hot teas available 24 hours. In my time here so far I haven't had anyone awake before me and needing coffee, I should have after the first morning set everything up for you in the guest kitchen, and I apologize for not thinking ahead in that matter.
I express upon the arrival of all my guests that there is beer and wine in the refrigerator along with cold teas to purchase, from which you and your husband enjoyed many. Your first night here you enjoyed a dinner with other guests and my neighbors and were served cocktails at no cost to you. You didn't eat here again until your last night, and just as the first, I asked if you would like wine or beer. I don't know how I could be more clear on what I serve here but I will, with your criticism, work on that aspect so that other guests can feel comfortable and more informed.
It is very common here in Peru to start dinners with soup, and being that it can be a bit chilled from time to time as you mentioned, in my heart I thought soups would be welcomed to give some internal warmth.
The Green House is central to everything in the valley. It is equidistant to Pisaq, Ollantaytambo, Maras and Moray, etc. It is one of the benefits of staying here. One has a sense of being away from everything but at the same time being in the best vantage point to seeing everything here. There is not another place in the valley that is more central than Huaran. The buses are very inexpensive and come regularly and give one a taste for local life here that would be missed if taking a taxi, although taxis are of course more direct and a bit faster.
All in all, yes I am new here. I have been blessed to have wonderful people come through these doors already and say wonderful things about me and this venture. I wanted something new in my life- I want to take care of people on their journey- and to step away from some skewed priorities of America, but I cannot read minds and everyone is different. Therefore there are some things I can anticipate, naturally, but if someone does not trust me enough to come to me with any extra needs, then perhaps that is where I failed you, Annette. That you, personally, did not feel a connection with me to bring any of these discomforts up while staying here. I again thank you, because yes this is new and I am young - but I am passionate and I embrace room for growth and learning and improvement. I certainly don't want anyone walking away feeling less than when they came. At the end of the day everyone who comes through this door is my priority and like family to me and I want them to be as comfortable as possible, as if they are staying in their own home- and I think I have a pretty darn good track record so far that after only a few months out of everyone who has reviewed, only one person had some points of contention. And for that, I couldn't be happier. I wish you and Sherman all my best and a beautiful 2014 of more exciting travels! Thank you so much for your patronage.