“Budget friendly - clean and comfortable”
Review of Hostal Chaska

Hostal Chaska
Alberta
“Budget friendly - clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

You only go to this area to visit the ruins at Machu Picchu and it is such a historical area they have restrictions on development, so keep in mind there aren't that many hotels to choose from. It isn't one of the hotels I would have chosen on my own, but I was travelling with my Daughters' school group and this is where we where booked to stay.
It is a 5 minute walk (up hill) from the train station beside a fast flowing river and a large market area - but very relaxing too.
The Hostal Chaska reminded me of my backpacking days when I was much younger - only much nicer. Lobby area holds a TV, couches, breakfast area and FREE WIFI. There are 4 levels and no elevators, so be aware of that. Rooms where very basic with small TV (with satellite) private bathroom (sink toilet - seat and paper included - shower - with warmish water) comfortable bed with warm blankets. No phones, so our wake up call was a knock on the door.
The location is PERFECT for exploring the small town at the base of one of the most historical ruins in the world. Close to so many restaurants and a large shopping/tourist market as well as the bus stop to go up to Machu Picchu.
It isn't a 5 star hotel, but it was clean, comfortable and good for 1 night's sleep while experiencing one of the most amazing places on earth.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LLA4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

Great value compared to other hostels in the area. The breakfast was good and they fed us before our hike to Machu Picchu at 5am. The staff were friendly and we felt safe leaving our belongings there. They even watched our bags when we were not staying another night. The shower was hot at times and cold at other times.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Kwillard12
London
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I wanted to ask there where another hostal was I had seen online but then decided to just take a look at their rooms. Was offered single room w bathroom for 50 soles but after i said that that was more than I'd want to spend i was offered the room for 40 soles. All clean, very comfy bed, warm at night (blankets) and nice and quiet (sound from river, but that didn't bother me). Great location (Aguas is very small so everything is close) and could leave my luggage there for the day at Machu Picchu. Staff froendly too. Not a place where you meet other travellers but as I wanted to get up early the next morning to visit Machu Picchu an early and restful night was what i wanted.
Would definitely recommend - but negotiate the price :-)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Mohnblumenblatt
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Just look for your name on a sign. You will be picked up at the train station. very clean rooms ,breakfast, good hot showers . All that one needs to get a great start on your Waynapicchu climb the next morning. They even give you a banana a must for the day. You can leave your stuff in the hotel downstairs closet untill the end of the day. Only take what you need to Machupicchu. It will be very safe. They are as family. They want you to do well so they are there for you. I like to tip 2-5 soles toeach person that helped me during my stay.
At the Hotel Rey Antares in Cuzco I aske them to make my arrangement in AguasCalientes with them and at El Balcon in Arequipa.

Room Tip: Just tell them how many beds you would like.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank AREQUIPENA
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2011

A friend and I just stayed here for 1 night. Here are some highlights:
PROS
- great location: close to the train station, on a main street, easy to find
- we tried to leave at 3:30am to wait in line for the bus up to machu picchu. we found ourselves trapped in the lobby (front door was locked), but after making some noise a staff member quickly came downstairs and attended to us.
- room and bathroom were clean and comfortable.
- complimentary water bottles!

CONS
- booked a twin room on Pacarama for $41, but it wasn't available when we got there. instead we were placed in a double, which is fine, but I was slightly annoyed about not getting what I had reserved.
- my friend's shower ran out of hot water halfway through and she was freezing. it came back on after 5-10 minutes.
- couldn't sleep at night because there was some loud karaoke/singing going on; it was so loud I thought it was right next to the hostel, but it was actually further up the street. bring earplugs.
- the lobby/lounge was always occupied by huge groups of people with all their stuff.
- wifi was too weak in the rooms; you have to go to the hallway or the lobby.

Aguas Calientes is a pretty lame tourist trap, like a bad amusement park... you're really only going there to get to Machu Picchu, not to see the town itself. So I suppose for that purpose, 1 night at this place won't kill you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sjkang

Travellers are raving about these Machu Picchu hotels

Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights and would certainly recommend it. The room was very clean, the bed was comfy, the staff were friendly and the location was spot on. The bedroom only had a very small window as you can see from my photo but the room was still very light in the day. Yes I could hear the river from my room but it didn't stop me sleeping.

Aguas Caliente is not the cheapest town to stay in but this isn't bad value considering what other hostals charge.

I used their laundry service and it was very reasonable however it did take over 24 hours to come back.

I did have a problem finding the hostal despite looking on Google maps before I left so I didnt have any problems! They do try to meet you at the train station with a big board with your name on it, if however you miss them like I did just walk straight ahead out of the station and when you see the river turn right and walk up the street, the hotel is on a street of other hotels and a few restaurants, if you reach the last bridge you have gone too far. It doesn't have big sign outside, only a little board in the window. I have attached a litlle map of AC that I was given by the tourist information when I was trying to find the hostal, the highlighted route is from the office where you will need to go and buy your MP ticket to the hostal.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank julia687
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Good location...near enough to the train station so that you're not breaking your back while you carry your luggage...but not so near that the train whistle wakes you.

Clean rooms, clean bathrooms, hot water in the shower (yay!), nice/friendly staff, soap and a little packet of shampoo/conditioner provided, TV in the room (only 4 channels- but who goes there to watch TV anyway?).

The "American breakfast" option includes fruit, bread, fresh-squeezed orange juice, coffee or tea, and scrambled eggs.

There are mosquitoes everywhere you go in Aguas Calientes...use bug spray if you spend any time outside of your hotel! I counted a total of 15 mosquito bites on my arms and legs...mosquitoes there are very small and you won't know you've been bitten until several hours later...

There is a market place right outside the train station...prices there are almost double the prices in Cuzco...avoid shopping in Aguas Calientes if you can!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 38 in Machu Picchu
Adelas's Hostel
Adelas's Hostel
#2 of 43 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Hostal Chaska? Share your experiences!