If you're not a backpacker (or someone who prefers to travel that way), there are only 2 high end places around Machu Picchu. The Inkaterra in Machu Picchu Pueblo (the town where the trains arrive and a 30 min bus ride down from the site), or the Belmond Sanctuary at the entrance gate to Machu Picchu.
You can't think of the Lodge as a luxury hotel, despite the price. It's a Lodge. Meaning, most rooms (see the room tips) are small without any sort of view. The beds are comfortable, the amenities are nice, and the staff is beyond helpful. It's all inclusive, and the food and beverage in the restaurant is amazing, especially considering they have to bus everything up the mountain. Make sure you make time for the bar for a cocktail...the bartenders are very knowledgeable and friendly, especially if you actually engage them in meaningful conversation. There is an outdoor hot tub on the hill behind the main buildings, which is nice (though often crowded) for an afternoon dip. They also have a small lounge with 2 showers and bathrooms to use after checkout if you are departing late.
The true benefit of being here is the location. It provides you an escape during the day from the crowds of the site, and a place to rest after climbing one of the great and challenging hikes around Machu Picchu. It's also easy to be at the gates of the site when they open early morning....you can literally walk around in the old city with virtually no one there.
Don't misread, it's a nice place. But the price could you make you think you're getting a fancy room and amazing views and activities. If you need all that, stay at Inkaterra in the town. If you want to imagine yourself in the 1920's, and explore the Inca's legacy and have a proper british-inspired luxe camp to go back to...this is your place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Sanctuary Lodge enjoys a unique location just steps from the entrance to Machu Picchu; it is the only hotel beside the Inca citadel. This charming mountain retreat, set in orchid gardens, is the perfect place to relax, from early in the morning to magical moonlit nights. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Belmond Sanctuary Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge By Orient-Express Hotel Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Hotel
- Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu