“Do it! You won't regret it!”

Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Machu Picchu
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Okay. I read several reviews and just wanted to reiterate. Yes, this is expensive. Yes, it was a good decision. Would I do it again? Yes. For me it was one night and two amazing days. The service was on the spot. We were extremely lucky with the weather as we had two beautiful days. One tidbit i found out... wouldn't deter me either way but if i had my pick probably wouldn't have stayed on a sunday as sunday is a free day for all of the locals and countrymen... doesn't have anything to do with the hotel more of the park... but it would probably be less crowded on any other day... The food was great and the just the being able to go to your room in between hikes or after lunch was nice. If there would have been a pop up shower or one of us was sick with altitude sickness or stomach problems... it would've been nice to have... luckily we didn't have either... The last part of the first day my wife wanted to just chill and read and i went back into the park and had to get every last drop of the amazing sites and information i could. When it was time to go and the security folks were rounding everyone up around 5:15 we went back toward the end of the property and got in the hot tub for a little while and relaxed as we watched the sun go down. Then we went and got our massages that came with the room package along with champagne that we never ended up drinking. (watch the alcohol intake) Also, i highly recommend... for just $100 more. The food there was all inclusive and i will say some of the best during our entire stay in Peru. Which is a pretty strong statement as we had several good meals. If you do stay here go outside at night and look up at the sky and see the most stars you will ever see in your life... unless you live in antartica... The next morning we woke up around 6:00 got a quick breakfast and went to watch the sun rise... I didn't really get anything out of that to be honest as i have read other reviews and a lot of folks felt the same... Next time your in Maui or if you ever go... i recommend the Mt. Haliakla bike ride instead of this one... a lot cooler... But... all in all it just gave us more time in the park. We then went to hike the Sun Gate trail and made it to the top in about 45 minutes to an hour... really a nice hike... we hiked back down and then went and grabbed lunch... everyone says the lunch is the same... wrong... if you stay here you can go into the hotel side and order a la carte and get a fantastic lunch rather than the buffet on the tourist side... i know i sound like a snob... but i am trying to let you justify this... we ate breakfast and then went back after the next hike and had lunch too and then went in the park for one more last time for about 2 hours before we had to catch our train to cusco. you have the option of doing an extra late checkout after 11 in a room out by the gardens so that you can shower... we didn't do this as we just ate an early lunch and showered and then went back into the park and found a neat spot to just chill and stare at the ruins... Between the food, service, the $100 for a couples 55 minute massage, the hot tub, convenience if it rains and being literally 100 steps to the park and not having to take the bus up more than once it was worth the splurge for me and my wife. I hope this helps and i hope you can get a reservation here as it is limited... was it the nicest hotel i have ever stayed in? no. Was it a once in a life time deal to stay on top of machu picchu with my wife that i will never forget? yes, and i am glad i did it. there are only 30 or so rooms and we lucked out getting ours when we didi in the middle of busy season down there... if you are doing peru, this really is the crown jewel of the trip. Yes there are many things i loved but this had to be my favorite part. Definitely get a tour guide in the park... we used condor travel and they were great. Keep in mind with the exception of a few things that all drinks (except for super top shelf brands) and all food are included. Also the train station suite down at the train station is super nice and is only for Sanctuary Lodge guests... it is a nice perk as well.
Hope this helps! Cheers!
TH

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade? we stayed in room that connected to the courtyard and supposedly was one of the...
7  Thank TravelMan978
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed our facilities and privilege location, allowing you to enjoy as much as possible of Machu Picchu Citadel, while you giving us the opportunity to take care to provide you an unforgettable experience of every single detail you may need during your stay with us.

Once again, I am really glad that we could exceed your expectations, sincerely will be a pleasure to welcome you in the near future and continue providing you outstanding service you deserve.

Thank you very much for your generous comments,

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We thoroughly recommend this hotel. Its position is excellent, at the gates to the Machu Picchu site. The staff cannot do enough for you with excellent food. The food sculptures on the tea table were amazing, with birds etc made from vegetables, a joy to behold. The rooms were not especially exciting but all in all an amazing experience. One of the joys also was to watch the hummingbirds in the garden, which is intricate, with some amazing plants and orchids. Well done to all concerned. Lovely to be all inclusive and not to have to use the wallet.
Annette Roe

2  Thank Robert R

Dear Guest,

First of all, let me thank you for your time and we appreciate your invaluable comments.

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you experienced a pleasant stay in Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.

Thank you for your sincere feedback, I hope we have the honor to welcome you in the near future.

Warm regards,

General Manage

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The lodge is expensive, but well with the price. Part of our group hiked in on the inca Trail, a couple of us took the bus. After all the hiking, walking or traveling to get here, all agreed that having this place at the end of the day was the best way to go. A friend from work did the hike a couple weeks earlier and wished he had planned at least one night here to relax and recover. The food was excellent. They had good choices for each meal. We did the pisco "class" at 6pm, learned a bit about the drink and got to try several types. Service was excellent - catering to anything we needed.
The rooms weren't huge but were quite sufficient....after all we didn't spend that much time in them and as other reviewers mentioned, you are paying for location. The "turn down" services at night was great. The whole room and all our mess was cleaned up and organized each night. Those who did the yoga classes and massages were very happy with both.
It was a great experience and sitting around the restaurant bar allowed us to meet and talk to many other ( world) travelers.
Overall highly recommended and would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, I feel so honored to know your opinion about our property. I´m pleased for choosing our Lodge as a destination to organize your visit of Machu Picchu Citadel.

I am glad to know that you could enjoyed our privileged location in front of the citadel while you giving us the opportunity to take care to provide you the service that you deserve.

Thank you very much for your kindness and invaluable comments; I hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you can afford it this is a must do, fantastic location, wake up and enter the site, and the food and bar great. All included, so you can put the wallet away and relax once you are there.

The staff are fantastic and helpful, I highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you enjoyed a fantastic stay in Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The service and food was outstanding. Likely one of our best dinners in Peru. Front desk was outstanding. Very special place.

Why not five stars? The rooms could use a bit of attention. All that being said, we would do the Lodge again, in a heart beat. Once again, a special place as you are at ground zero!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mdh95070

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate for leaving your positive comments on the Trip Advisor.

I am glad to know that you could enjoy our privileged location in front of the citadel, while you enjoy as much as possible our outstanding service.

We sincerely appreciate your visit and for considering repeat your experience with us, you will be more than welcome.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have read some less than favorable reviews of the Sanctuary Lodge, so I was pleasantly surprised with my experience. I selected the Sanctuary Lodge because of its proximity to Machu Picchu. I was extremely pleased with all aspects of my visit. The noon buffet (included in the price) was superb. The young lady that checked me into the hotel set the tone for my entire stay - she was extremely knowledgeable, professional and pleasant. Staying at the Lodge puts you within a few feet of the entrance gate to the Park, which is a huge advantage to anyone staying overnight.

If I ever go to Machu Picchu again, I'll definitely stay at the Sanctuary Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve L

Dear Guest,

First of all, I feel so honored to know your opinion about our property.

I am deeply pleased to know that you experienced a very warmly welcome and persisted during your stay.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The service attitude and the staff is one of the best. Their customer (sorry guests) oriented attitude is the best.
There is free wifi of good performance, the kitchen delivers top notch performance.
In the room the bed is big and good, as are the pillows, tv works as it should, minibar with soft-drinks only. Airco is extremely quite. Lights in the bathroom are so dim that shaving is one big guess. The size of the room (we did not get a suite or superior room) is meager to say the least. The best feature of the hotel is that is right next to the entrance of the macchu pichu site.
We were the first in at 6 am, at 21st of june. Would have been hard to do that from Aquas Calientes. After the solstice back for breakfast and then the rest of the site.

The room is very expensive compared to Peruvian standards. Is it worth while? We think it is.

Dear Guest,

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed our facilities and privilege location.

I would like to extend our most sincere gratitude for your encouraging words, our Staff always is taking great care over every detail with our guest, it is very satisfying to know my staff was able to provide the service you deserve.

Please accept my apologies if the size in the room has not been of your liking. I am pleased to inform you that we are constantly working in improving our facilities and rooms, in order to upgrade even more our Lodge in order to correspond to our guest’s expectations.

I think it is important to remind that during day time, our guests usually appreciate our location, sharing the active life of travelers visiting the ancient citadel. Also, after 5.00 pm until the next morning, our Lodge is the only place that stays in a total peacefulness, perfect moment to feel and interact with the energy of Machu Picchu ancient citadel.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your overall impressions about your stay in our property, are very important to us.

Marc Yeterian,

#3 of 6 in Machu Picchu
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
#4 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Belmond Sanctuary Lodge? Share your experiences!