This is an exclusive property located steps from the entrance gate to the Machu Picchu site. This hotel can only be reached on foot via the Inca Trail or by a winding bus ride up from Aguas Calientes. This is a small lodge and I suggest booking it in advance. Restaurant had great gourmet food. Tea time was served everyday and it included a delicious array of French pastries, chocolates, and finger sandwiches. A down point was that you shared the large buffet restaurant with day visitors, although the selection of dishes is impressive. Even though it was very busy outside the hotel during the day, we escaped to the chaise lounges in the quiet, well–tended gardens wedged between the buildings, listening to the sounds of bubbling fountains. With a prior arrangement we took a guided tour of the ruins after the official closing time. We also went really early to see the sunrise before the buses get there, which is one of the main reasons to stay here! While the location is remote, I say the service here ranks among the best in the country, giving you a seamless experience as any other Orient Express hotel. Front desk staff is wonderful, willing to assist you on many different issues. I recommend this to anyone heading to Machu Picchu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No picture of Machu Picchu can prepare you for seeing it with your own eyes. Perched high in the Andes, it is one of few places in the world that can be described as truly unmissable. It’s on everyone’s travel wish list, attracting a million visitors each year. But there’s only one way to see it in style: by staying at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge. When we say we’re one of a kind, we mean it. Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is the only hotel that sits at the entrance of the ancient Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. For years we have been the unofficial gateway to the Inca world, inviting our guests to explore with unrivalled access and expert guidance. While most visitors to the citadel endure a winding bus ride from Aguas Calientes, our snug retreat is a few footsteps away. Wake before sunrise and be the first through the gates. The mountains look magnificent emerging from a thick cloak of mist, and Machu Picchu is stunning in solitude. Stop, breathe and soak it all in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Belmond Sanctuary Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge By Orient-Express Hotel Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Hotel
- Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu