“G Adventures were a perfect choice”
Review of Inca Trail

and up
Private Overnight Tour: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Cairns, Australia
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“G Adventures were a perfect choice”
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

I have been wanting to walk the inca trail for a very long time but usually I don't enjoy being part of a tour group. As it is compulsory to be part of a group when on the trail I chose g adventures because it looked to be good value for money and a small group size.

I was so happy that we went with this company. The level of service was mindblowing and I learnt so much about the inca culture from our passionate guide, Johan. I would have missed out on so much information if I were able to do the trail independently.

Our group of 16 were fantastic company and we were accompanied by 23 porters and 2 cooks. The porters complete a superhuman job by basically running along the trail carrying 25kg each and making it to our next destination.

When the group arrived at lunch or camp food would be cooked and an eating tent set up. We were greeted with cool drinks and individual washbasins to prepare for a meal. Lunch and dinner were 2-3 courses and always started with a delicious soup. Breakfast was served warm. On the third day at lunch our chefs made managed to freshly prepare a cake with icing - incredible! Every morning the porters wake you with hot cocoa leaf tea and a warmed wash basin. We were very spoilt.

The company provides a thin foam mat for sleeping and offers for hire sleeping bags (US$10), inflatable mats (US$10) and hiking poles (US$6 each). The mat and bag are included in the baggage weigh the porters can carrying and take up about 3kg of the 6kg allowance, so packing light is necessary. My only complaint of the trip is that the mat shown to us in cusco prior to hiring the mats on the trail was not entirely representative and didn't do a great job of staying inflated - it was much better than sleeping on a foam mat though. Please hire/take 2 hiking poles - they help out so much especially on the long section of downhill of the second day.

The trail itself is very manageable for anybody who is reasonably fit. Our group had two couples in their 60s and they managed fine by just taking it slowly. The first day is relatively easy and only involves a few hours of walking with a few uphill stretches. The second day is definitely the hardest with 4-5 hours of unrelenting uphill climbing at a high altitude - it is quite hard to catch your breath. This is followed for unrelenting downhill for about 2 hours - the walking poles will save your knees on this section. The third day is the most beautiful day - several ruins are visited and the scenery dramatically changes through the day from cloud forrest to jungle. It is a long day though with about 12 hours of walking. The final day is very exciting and involves a very early start to wait in a line until the trail opens at 5:30am. The walk is very pretty and is not particularly hard. I was expecting much worse when I heard about a section called 'the gringo killer'! This actually isn't too bad and involves a very steep section of stairs which is almost a vertical climb which, steep as it is, only lasts for a few minutes. The view from the sun gate is very rewarding and the opportunity to explore machu picchu is worth every step of the trail.

65 Thank TrekBear

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“journey of a lifetime”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This actually was in September of 2005. Going to Machu Picchu was the dream of a lifetime, but I felt like I really wanted to "earn" the right to see it - so I hiked the trail with a Peruvian tour company - Peru Gateway Travel, I found on the internet (much more reasonable prices than American companies). I found the hike at 41 years of age difficult, probably one of the hardest I have ever done - but worth every step. Day 2 when we hiked to over 11,000 feet at the pass pictured here was done one step at a time. Day 3, after walking through rain forest was down many, many Inca stairs in the rain - scary, I arrived after dark at the campsite. I'm sure the journey wasn't as difficult for many of the young international tourists that frequent this site, but it made me feel like if I could do this, I could do anything. The tour company was fantastic and highly recommended too.

1 Thank sylq
Avon, Connecticut, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Experience in Peru using Pachamama Explorers”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My friend and I did a 4 day/3 night hiking tour to Machu Picchu with Pachamama Explorers. Our tour guide was very friendly and shared a lot of great information. Not only was he amazing but our chef was extraordinaire as were all the porters (so very helpful and friendly).

Pachamama Explorers also helped us setup hotels in Lima and Cusco and everything went well, no glitches. Our time in Peru was nothing short of magical and a big part was the outstanding service provided.I would HIGHLY recommend this company to help guide you around Peru.

April from North Carolina, USA

2 Thank April A
Sylvan Lake, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Inca trail with G-Adventure, awesome experience!”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

If you are thinking about it, but not sure, I can tell you it was an awesome experience and worth every penny (and bead of sweat!). The G-Adventure team was the right choice for my daughter and I. They take care of you the moment you approach their desk at the Prisma Hotel in Cusco. We opted for our own connections to get to Cusco. This was neither right, nor wrong. You really have to be on the ball with the flight transfers between Lima and Cusco. Regardless of the airline you fly with, there are delays and cancellations. If time allows, I would suggest an extra day in Lima before your flight back to the rest of the world just in case you cannot get out of Cusco on time. We flew with StarPeru airlines and they were great. They had delayed flights both ways, but they managed to put us on earlier flights at the check-in counter, which really meant we got to the other end at the right times. We saw other airlines, twice the ticket price, with as many delays and cancellations however. We stayed overnight going in at SM Hotel in Lima. I will review it separately, it was a great choice.
Cusco - We only had a half day at the start for this city. An extra day would be nice especially if you are a museum buff or like old architecture. The feel of the place is comfortable, and everything you could want is close by the downtown area. Lots of bank machines around, including Scotiabank for Canadians! We used the other bank machines and they were fine too, $5 charge per withdrawal, no big deal.
Inca Trail 4 days with G-Adventure - Their hotel was the Prisma hotel. Nothing fancy, but functional, and in a good location near everything. It is noisy, but if you travel in Latin America, you know it will be. Lots of wood and tile, and thin windows to the street. Other than that, the place had character and the staff were excellent. "Their computer" internet is okay, but the keyboard is different and I never could get the @ symbol to appear for emails.
The actual Inca trail tour and hike was awesome. The first day in the Sacred Valley was a nice addition to their tour and works to get you ready for the hiking. The end of the tour day of the Sacred Valley takes you to a hotel in Ollantatytambo (spell it how you want). This hotel may be different every time, but it is likely to be a basic room, no tv, some hot water maybe, but who cares, you are anxious for the next day, and you will be tired regardless. It was a clean hotel, and safe, and actually quite quiet!
Inca Trail - You can read lots about the hiking. G-Adventures were great to us all. They have done this thousands of times. You can trust them to be looking out for your best interests and experience. Go with it. Enjoy the sights and the exertion. Anybody in reasonable shape should be fine. The best advice I can give anybody is ' don't get sick before you start out'. If you think you might be getting an upset stomach and the runs, then take Pepto and Immodium just to be safe. Hell, take Cipro antibiotics too. You don't want the discomfort and dehydration of being ill on the trail. There was some of this in our group and they suffered. Take knee suppports, even cheapo tensor bandages. My 49 year old knees needed them, as did others. The hardest part on your body will be going down steps (they go on forever at times). The elevation did not bother anybody too much in our group of 13. Steps down, that is the hardest. Take tensor bandages to wrap you knees, you can always lend them out if you don't use them yourself!
They, the locals, sell Cervesa's both nite 1 and near the summit on day 2. Go ahead and treat yourself, we did. Nothing like sitting at camp at the end of the day toasting each other with a cold beer! 7 or 8 Sol each, cheap!!
I will not tell you about the sights, you can google that. I hike in the Canadian rockies, lived there for a few years too. I was impressed with the Andes from the Inca trail, and Machu Picchu is something to behold!
You can do it.
Favorite part - Seeing Machu Picchu with my daughter beside me! Next favorite - Aguas Calientas - after Machu Picchu. This Peruvian town is a gem, look for you-tube videos on it. It is where you get the train back to civilization. Fantasic place.
Thanks Lisa for inviting me along, a life memory for sure!

Visited August 2012
11 Thank KVZ
Northampton, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“One day hike into Machu Picchu well worth it”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We felt too old and not being campers, opted for the Km104 last day hike in - we had the trail to ourselves : took us (generally fit 60/65) 6 hours including stops as required. And is certainly the way to arrive at MP - both from the Sun Gate : but also because many day visitors are beginning to leave MP by then, so it's quieter.

39 Thank chriswarthurs