“Inca Trail - Checked Off the Bucket List”
Review of Inca Trail

US$895.00*
Private Overnight Tour: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is an amazing trek. It is difficult due to altitude but a few days in Cusco prior to the start helped us acclimate to the altitude a bit. The reward at the end was incredible!

2  Thank Karen996
Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just got back from our trip of a lifetime hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. I highly recommend Quechua Expeditions. We were on a small group tour with another family of three for a total of 7 hikers, our guide Carlos and 11 porters/cooks. Carlos is passionate about Peruvian history/Incan history/culture/nature which he effectively communicates. My husband and I are in our mid 50's and we took two of our grown kids with us. Even though we were in good physical condition- regularly exercising, lifting weights, and cycling- we were surprised at how the altitude itself made us so short of breath. Carlos was a great encouragement to us, allowing us frequent breaks as needed. On day 3 it rained and we were late getting back to camp. He had arranged for the porters to meet us about 30 minutes prior to reaching camp- they carried my day pack for the remainder of the trek to camp. The porters were there to help every step along the way. Additionally, the food we were served was great.
Some suggestions- bring walking poles, caps, gloves, rain gear or poncho, journal or deck of cards, head lamp, good hiking boots, toilet paper/wipes (toilets are available at night and for lunch stops), and a good attitude. It's the trip of a lifetime.

7  Thank CarolB88213
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It goes without saying that the Trail is incredible and Machu Picchu superlative. But my review is about whether you should do it. Full disclosure: my husband and i are in our early 60's and consider ourselves "moderately fit," with plenty of hiking and xc skiing in the beautiful Pacific NW where we live. And we completed the Trail and will treasure our memories of it the rest of our lives. But if we knew then what we knew now, would we have done it? No is the answer. We'd definitely see MP but not spend 5 days/4 nights getting there. Why? It was really tough for us. We trained but not enough, and we thought we had. It may have been our lungs not working efficiently in the altitude, or the heat, or the relentless trek day after day. My husband has a balance problem, and while I could scamper downhill like a goat, he found that part difficult and scary. If you do decide to go, do it with a company that allows everybody to go at their own pace. See my review of EcoInka to learn of our wonderful experience with this company. Decide if you want a back country hike and camping experience, or if your major motivation is to see MP. If it's the latter, you can do that without hiking the Trail. Consider bringing knee supports, if your knees bother you. Absolutely bring poles that are very adjustable, as you'll be doing big uphiils and big downhills. And prepare in advance, a lot, to increase your chances of feeling more comfortable and more confident that your life will not end on the Inca Trail.

17  Thank Carolyn G
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I wans't bothered about doing the Inca Trail - people had told me it was packed, crowded, eroded bla bla bla. People - what were you talking about! The Inca Trail is gorgeous, very scenic, even when it's raining, it's famous, there are lots of ruins along the way and historically it is very important. For our group, it wasn't crowded at all, maybe because we had a small group that managed to over take the larger groups? The only time it felt crowded was on the last day when we had to queue to start walking from the gate at 5.30am. However, even then, we managed to overtake the big groups and get to the Sun Gate before it was too crowded. I still find it amazing that those steps and stones we walked on were the ones laid by the Incas so many hundreds of years ago. Very special. The only downside are the toilets - they are disgusting!!! Probably the worst I have come across ever, no bins, just mounds of tissue and no locks on the doors - what is with that Peruvians! I would happily pay someone quite a bit to clean those toilets up - there is money to be made by someone up there surely!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just finished a trip around Central and South America, and doing the Inca trail stands out as one of the absolute best experiences (and I had a lot of amazing experiences)! Wow! We did a 7 day tour with (the actual trail was 4 days/3 nights though), and cannot recommend it enough. I guess tripadvisor won't let me rave about the company BUT let me give you some general tips if you're planning on doing the trail.

-Book early! Because of the limited access to the actual trail, you will have to plan ahead to do this one, think 3-5 months in advance.
-Spend enough time in the altitude/acclimatize before doing the trail! Me and my friends started in La Paz, and had been in high altitude for over 2 weeks, and we really (!) felt the benefit of this when doing the trail.
- The trail can be physically challenging, but most people can do it! There are A LOT of breaks, and you can walk in whatever pace you would like. The oldest in our group was 65 - GO FOR IT!!
-Bring a book! We didn't think we would have time to read, but we were actually given quite a lot of down time, and we regretted not bringing reading material soo bad!
- Bring flip flops! This was something several in our group did, but we hadn't thought about it. After a long day of walking (it would have been) so nice to take off our hiking boots and put on some fresh socks and a pair of flip flops (oh yes. socks. in flip flops.)!
- This reminds me; hiking boots; bring them - it's worth it.
- Wet wipes.
- Get the walking sticks if you have an option.
- And of course; a deck of cards, a hat and gloves, a poncho, a lot of chocolate to keep your blood sugar at bay, coca candy, a head light, mosquito repellent, sun screen, enough warm clothes ect..

14  Thank Linebrekkea