“Nice little hotel”

Tikawasi Valley Hotel
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here two nights as our launching point for Machu Picchu. It was nice. I liked how they had accommodations for a family of 4. They even provided breakfast for us when we needed to catch the 6:10 train to Machu Picchu. The breakfast was good and they had WiFi. It was not the most dependable, but it was enough to check e-mail. Sometime it was a little hard to make Skype calls. The rooms were fine. They were clean and they sufficed for what we needed. The street could get a little noisy, especially if you want to go to sleep early to sleep in late. The little courtyard was nice and quaint. They are close to the Temple of Ollantaytambo and a short walk to the train station. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed in Tikawasi last May 3-5, 2014. My room was at 3rd floor, with a very beautiful view of the archeological site which are just few steps away from this hotel. The location is excellent. The service is excellent. My room is spacious. Breakfast was good. Nothing I could ask for, really!

But the real deal was Shelly, the friendliest and most helpful person ever. She recommended the best restaurants in town, she helped me with my itineraries, she arranged my luggage to be transported to Cusco as I cannot bring them in Aguas Calientes, and so much more. Shelly became my hero in Ollantaytambo, and I was very grateful that she works for Tikawasi. The hotel alone made my first Sacred Valley destination memorable, but Shelly served as a cherry on top of my very beautiful and sweet stay in Ollanta.

You should stay in Takawasi if ever you are stopping at Ollantaytambo. Everyone in this hotel are friendly and nice people. If ever I would be given a chance to visit Peru again, I will make sure to find ways to visit Tikawasi and Shelly once again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

This delightful little hotel is in an amazing place in the Sacred Valley. The Inca ruins can be seen from the courtyard and some of the hotel walls are Incan.

Noises from the neighboring room carried but the music station provided a remedy for that. We are not bilingual and would have been more comfortable with some English ability at the front desk.

The transportation arranged for us from Cusco and back was excellent and perfectly timed. So grateful for the hotel arranging that!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Our family of 4 stayed recently stayed at this hotel. It was perfect. We were able to drop off our luggage the day before we stayed as we were staying in AC for the night before Machu Picchu. Our luggage was waiting in our room when we arrived. The staff went out of their way for us. When our horseback riding tour did not show, a staff member brought me to the tourism office. The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast was good. The ruins are a 2 minute walk and the train to Machu Picchu is a 10 minute walk. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Tikawasi Valley Hotel. I was traveling with my three adult daughters. The hotel arranged for our taxis to and from Cusco. The drivers were prompt, reliable and reasonably priced. In fact, our flight out of Cusco was at 7:00 a.m. and so our taxi was at the hotel at 4:30 a.m. sharp!

The staff was pleasant and very accommodating. The rooms were clean and well kept. The humidity caused the bathrooms to be a bit damp smelling, but that was not from a lack of cleanliness. Remember, the hotel is situated on original Inca ruins. Very charming and historic. It is near the market, church and the Ollantaytambo Temple ruins. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night in triple room on our return from MachuPichu. It is about 10 minutes walk from the train station.
We arrived at night and the walk was in a dark road.
We were so surprised in the morning that we were spot on the Inca site.
The hotel is very nice and the staff are helpful.
We found it very convince to break the return from MachuPichu , by overnight here, walk the Inca site from the hotel, and visit the Sacred valley on the way back to Cusco

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Oh my goodness! What can I say? This place was amazing. The owners and their daughter made our stay remarkable. First, we called and asked for a ride from Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo. They arranged for Julio to pick us up. Oh my goodness. From the very moment, they showed us a wonderful time. Please request Julio as your tour guide. (Spanish speaking only so have a translator with you). He was AMAZING. We ended up hiring him for the entire week. He took us EVERYWHERE and we had an amazing time. He was very patient with us and went out of his way to show us a wonderful time. He even helped me to a clinic in Pisac (I passed out from being sick . . . not fun!) He became a friend to us and we really want him to visit us in America. He went above and beyond. He was safe and knew everything about the area. Call them ahead of time and request Julio. You will love him.

If I were you, I would stay at Tikawasi Valley first to get acclimated to the altitude (3,000 or more lower than Cusco) and then go to Cusco for a day or two. You can even stay here for the entire stay and still see Cusco too. I liked Cusco but 3 days was too much and the altitude was not fun in Cusco. I would have rather stayed at TikaWasi Valley for the entire stay rather than go to Cusco for 3 days. They hotel was quiet. Ollantaytambo was very safe. You can buy cold water with or without gas everywhere. I can't say enough wonderful things about Tikawasi Valley. They provided very good heaters, they blankets were warm, they had American Channels on the TV, they arranged for laundry (30 Soles for a lot of laundry), and they helped with tours to all the ruins. I can't say enough about this wonderful place. Hosta (I think that was her name), her husband, and daughter were terrific. They went out of their way to help us and make our stay completely amazing. Request the rooms with the original Inka walls. They energy in those rooms was nice. Their breakfast buffet was great. When you are at these high altitudes, your appetite decreases and all you want is light food. This breakfast was sufficient.

They suggested some awesome restaurants (reasonably priced) for dinner. They helped us book our train trip to Aquas Callientes for Machu Pichu trip. DON"T stay in Aquas Callientes, just take the train for Ollantaytambo to AC (the train only takes credit cards or american dollars). I don't know what else to stay except that they were amazing at Tikawasi Valley! I would stay there again and again!

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: Bring cash. They don't really take credit cards because they are having a very, very difficult time getting their money from the Credit card companies. It isn't their fault so I am not giving them any negatives for that. Bring perfect american dollars (no rips or tears) or exchange money before you get there. A lot of places only take cash and if you pay american, make sure the money is crisp and pristine. Take your money to at BCP banks only. The other places are risky. That's it! Place was perfect for all of us! Thanks

Room Tip: Ask for the Inka rooms.