See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The location is great - within 2 minutes walking distance of the Ollantaytambo ruins and the main plaza - and 15 minutes walk to Ollanta Station.

Ollantaytambo is a small town - and if this place wants to compete well with other hotels/hostals in the area, they need to step up their game just a little bit.

We stayed in room 4 for one night and the bathroom desperately needs to be repaired. Our shower flooded the bathroom floor each time we took a shower - no matter how we adjusted the shower curtain or direction of the shower head, the stall would flood and water would drain out onto the bathroom floor. In addition, the lock on the bathroom window (which leads directly out into the outdoor hallway) is missing. I had to use a curtain pin to secure the window shut.

We also found the staff to be a bit too relaxed. When we gave them our passports (required when checking into a hotel in Peru), and they had them stacked hours later on the reception counter - essentially out in the open, and available for anyone to snatch.

When my Mom and I came down to the dining room for breakfast - approx a couple hours after a large group had left - every table in the room had not been bussed yet. It was a messy sight. Although, our server immediately set up a table for us and brought out our breakfast, she didn't clean up the surrounding tables.

Andean Moon has alot of potential, but we feel there's alot of room left for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 30 June 2010

If you go to this hostel, make sure there will be somebody at the reception.
We came at midnight from Machu Picchu and we had left our bagage there the day before. They knew we were arriving on that date at that time. When we arrived at midnight there was nobody waiting for us. We spent more than 30 minutes knocking on the door and nobody opened the door. The day after we asked why nobody was there and they didn't even said "sorry".
We went to Chaska Wasi, which is cheaper and just next to it.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We stayed here in May 2009 as part of a GAP Inca Trail trip. This is a cute rustic little place - very compact and basic. and would suit someone who is just looking for a place to rest their head and nothing more. Good location just minutes walk down a passage to the main square. We also had breakfast here which was also very basic but good enough for our needs - they don't have an actual restaurant, but there is a little dining room between the rooms.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I found this after looking at a few other places it town, and it was one of the nicest places I stayed in all of Peru.

Just up a cobbled alley north of the main little plaza, Andean Moon looks a new hotel and has lovely rooms that have been really nicely decorated: wooden beams, pictures on the wall, little lamps and a decent sized bathroom and lovely wool blankets on the beds, that combine to make it feel really cozy. Plus there's TV (local) and even a DVD player in the room plus a stack downstiars to borrow.

I paid 30 Soles ($12) a night for a twin room for myself, which was a bargain to me. And as for noise, Ollantaytambo is a pretty quiet place at the best of times, and the hotel is tucked away on a little alley that only saw a few people, a horse and the odd dog while I was there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 11 May 2008

Tossing up where to stay in Ollantaytambo for a few days, I chose the Andean Moon Hostal, more based on the name than anything. I couldn't find any reviews for it...this should have been the first warning sign. We got to town and had to ask quite a few people where it was...
I had forgotten to write down the name of the street. Eventually someone pointed us in the right direction. Down some back streets just off the main plaza, being careful not to step in the numerous piles of dog poo. The hostel itself doesn't look too bad initially...but after a few hours you start to notice how badly built it is...then we realised that the toilet, while fairly clean, did actually stink a lot. The room was basic, it had a TV but it was a bit pokey. The thing that really did us in was trying to sleep that night. Now, I don't know about you, but the two things I want in a hostel room are cleanliness and peace and quiet. We got neither. We were woken up about 2am by people coming home from a party, walking and talking loudly down the back alleyway, which the hostel backs onto. Then the next morning at 6am by children yelling and screaming in the house next door. This is a residential area, so be warned, if you like your hostels quiet...this is not the place for you. The hostal has only been open for about a year and I'm sure they don't really have much of a clue how to run a guesthouse. We smartly packed up and left the next morning, heading instead to Las Orquideas where we got what travellers want, a good night's sleep. Take note Andean Moon staff, you could learn a thing or two from these guys.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple