“Perfect Hotel!”

Hotel Sol
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I stayed in Ollantaytambo for four days and we could not have been happier with Hotel Sol. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, offering around the clock service and local information. I highly recommend spending the extra few dollars for the room with ruin views and the river. With the doors open, and sounds of the roaring river, we had the best sleep of our lives. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms are updated (with hot water). Nice simple breakfast days 1 & 2 eggs, bread, and fruit, days 3 &4 yummy banana pancakes. I would return here over and over, it was magical!

Room Tip: Ruin views, unless you need quiet when sleeping, as the river is only 10 feet away.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2012

The hotel really surprised me. Starting with the reception we had, all the services, really good breakfast and helpful people.
I am happy to tell everyone that this is the best option while staying in Ollantaytambo.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We rented three rooms for two nights on a family vacation and had a terrific experience. The hotel is ideally located between the main plaza and the ruins, and a short walk (or motorcycle taxi) to the train station. Rooms are simple but very clean and well kept. Two of our three rooms overlooked the ruins. The restaurant just opened in early May and offered great drinks and very good food at reasonable prices. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had too many bags for the train to Aguas Calientes, and the hotel staff contracted transportation to reposition most of our luggage to Cusco. They also had superb advise on treks, day hikes, and activities. Would highly recommend this hotel. A very nice experience for us.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2012

i was upgraded to Sol. I booked to stay in Iskay, but they asked if I would mind staying in Sol, because they had problems and had to close. I don't know how much more expensive it was, so I can't comment on value for money. it was comfortable and warm; I was given a heater which was very welcome. Not everywhere provides one. My room was one of the ones facing inwards to an atrium open to the sky with a pool which was dry at the time. I imagine they were having water problems. It would have been pretty if it had been full. As it was,i it looked a little derelict. On the plus side there was a resident white kitten who played in the dry pool and I could watch her from my window.

The better rooms have balconies over the rushing torrent of the river below. The same view can be had from the breakfast room and it is very dramatic.

I was happy in Sol, the staff were helpful and friendly and the ruins are almost outside the door, but that would be the same for any hotel there ; the town is small and although it is touristy it wasn't tacky - not in February anyway. it was one of my favourite places in Peru. There is a central square a few moments from the hotel with lots of cafes and a good atmosphere. the town itself is lovely to walk around and everyone says hello. The ruins are just wonderful.

My only quibble is: I always leave my valuables behind reception for safe-keeping in Peru. It is supposed to be safer than leaving them in the room. In the Sol they just put my bags behind the desk - no safe or even a back room. I wasn't too concerned, because I thought that there would always be somebody behind the desk. On the last day I left my case and my bag with all my valuables - passport, ipad etc- behind the desk. i went back to the ruins for one last goodbye and when I came back the receptionist was talking to a friend across the road. my bag was in full view on top of the desk and I was able to pick it up( and my case) and walk out. To be fair he probably was watching the door, but he wasn't near enough to stop a thief running in and out with all my things.
I'm not saying it's a reason not to choose the hotel at all, but just make sure where they put your valuables.

Overall I would say it was good, but largely because of the friendliness of the staff rather than the hotel itself which had a slightly sad air, but that might have just been because of the time of year. Book room overlooking river unless you don't like the noise of it at night.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and after a long day I wanted to take a HOT shower. As the instructions said, I let the water run for a few minutes. . . the water never got hot. Even after 10 minutes, the water never got hot.
After I had take my clothes off, It would be difficult for me to complain to the staff and to change rooms. . .we also checkout really early so there was no one to tell about our experience.

Other minor details that may or may not be important to you
- no TV in the room
- Wi-fi didn't work
- at times there was no one at the front desk.
- There was also some weird mixup in the room I booked

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This hotel is in a great location, right beside a beautiful rushing river, just over the bridge from the Ollantaytambo Incan site, surrounded by some of the town's best restaurants, and a short walk to the train station. We had a family room (2 double beds and a queen), which was spacious and very comfortable, with great beds and duvets, and a nice balcony with a view of the river. Great hot shower, simple but good breakfast. A very pleasant internal courtyard. The staff was friendly and helpful. A great, comfortable place to stay in Ollanta.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side, as the buses are loud. The rushing river is also loud, but provides...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The staff here is the best! Located in central Ollanta, very near the ruins and about a 10 minute walk to the train station. Near several very good restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side, preferably the second floor, but the first floor is fine,too.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple