“Fabulous”

El Albergue Ollantaytambo
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 April 2011

This hotel is a great place to stay in Ollantaytambo. It is located right on the train platform, which is a bit of a walk from the main town, however, if you are only staying a night or two that is not a problem.

The rooms and bathrooms are sparkling clean, with beautiful linens and comfortable beds. There is small safe in the room. The courtyard is lovely and a great place to enjoy an afternoon drink while watching the clouds roll over the mountain.

Breakfast was included and they offered a nice selection of fruit, yogurt, granola, eggs, breads, pancakes, juices, and coffee/tea.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed 30 March 2011

We (my husband and I) stayed at the hotel one night in our journey to machu picchu. This hotel is extremely comfortable and the rooms are spacious, very clean and the views of the mountains are great. You will have original artwork from the owner what makes each room unique and memorable. The prices are really good. The hotel is in the train station, so you will hear the trains at night. But very convenient to take the train to machu picchu in the morning :)
The restaurant is probably the best food that I had in a very long time, the food is fresh and very flavored what makes you really enjoy every bite.
I would definitively go back and recommend this great hotel not only to friends but everyone.
Hello Jose and Staff from Paula de Portuguese!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2011

This hotel was very picturesque and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant served delicious food. Location was good ( there was some construction on the road when we left which was a bit inconvenient...will be completed by April 2011)
In all our stay was wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I picked this hotel because of all the favourable reviews but wasn't prepared for how great it really was. I was ready to be cold at night, however the quilts were so warm that wasn't a problem. I was ready to rough it seeing we were so isolated, but no roughing it when you consider the amazing gardens, the immaculate room, the interesting articles placed throughout, and the gourmet restaurant offerings. Not familiar with a spice or herb mentioned in a dish listed on the menu, just ask. The chef will bring you the jar and let you see it and sample it if you would wish to do so. The presentation of the meals was so artistic, you ALMOST hated to start eating. We encountered nothing but pleasant helpful staff who could and did communicate easily with us in English.
Yes it is a bit distant from Ollantaytambo itself, but for 1.5 soles each, you can ride there on one of the 3wheel bike "taxis" and that's just another fun experience for your journal.
Yes the train exhaust can be strong, but one just needs to close the windows on the incoming side while the train is idling. Our room had windows on 3 sides so once the train was gone, the room aired out very quickly. I was surprised that there was so little noise from the trains also.
Breakfast the next morning was a treat as it was the first time in a long time that we could have eggs done to order served hot to our table. The coffee was hot and delicious. With more toast when we requested it and a bit of fruit and yogurt, a perfect way to start the day!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We stayed here on a very quick trip- we were on a cruise and had very little time to visit Machu Pichu. We took a taxi from the Cuzco Airport (lovely drive ) and our intent was to go back to Cuzco but after seeing the hotel we changed our mind and stayed two nights. It also has a slightly lower altitude (2600 M ) than Cuzco (3300 M ) and we were travelling with children and had not taken pills for the altitude. It worked out fine. The food was great for supper- we had chicken and trout and the stuffed vegetables. The brownies were great. Breakfast had the best coffee I have ever tasted in my life. Wondeful chef- see picture. The room was spectacular with beams and white bedding, lovely stone sink- A1. I was so happy to be there. Sergio helped us with the boarding passes for our flights on Friday. Would do it again in a second!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I have recently completed an around the world trip and El Albergue Hotel & Restaurant wins two prizes for the trip . . . best hotel and best restaurant. When I wrote this review El Albergue was rated the #1 hotel in Ollantaytambo on Trip Advisor which it so richly deserves.

Very occasionally in my travels have I come upon a place to stay that is truly memorable. El Albergue Hotel & Restaurant is such a place. Ever since I first visited their web site, I was looking forward to my short stay there. The location is very unique . . . it’s in the train station which is the only access to Machu Picchu (unless you walk all the way to MP). In fact most walkers take the train part way until it intersects the Inca Trail which leads to Machu Picchu.

My particular room, Number 7 (a Superior Double). was upstairs in the garden area with two beds at a very reasonable $63 US per night. I stayed here on January 19, my only regret being that I didn’t have more time to spend at this lovely hotel.

So, the front door of the hotel is 6 feet from the train tracks. I enjoy trains, so you can imagine that this alone was a big plus. The hotel is owned by an artist woman, Wendy Weeks, who I met by chance as I was walking to the hotel. Her design flair is evident throughout the hotel, many of the paintings being hers. I don’t know quite how to describe the style of the place other than to say that the art work is modern and the physical structures are traditional and cozy and arty.

It all works incredibly well!

The hotel has a wonderful restaurant right off of the entry area. It has a great open plan with little separating you from the kitchen. There along the back wall are dozens of spice jars all about 1 pint size with a colorful array of spices. When I got there after normal lunch hour they were making fresh pasta which was strung on hangers near the front (closest to the dining area). The dining area is largely done in white and black which tends to draw the eyes to artwork and kitchen. Just a wonderful space! See my photos which do a much better job of showing this lovely hotel than I can describe in words.

The food that I had at El Albergue is the best that I’ve had anywhere on this trip.

I got adventuresome here and had the alpaca steak for dinner. The meat and sauce were great. The meat itself is lean, but both tender and succulent. I’d go so far to say that it was one of the best pieces of meat that I’ve ever eaten.

How to get here? Easy! Just ask anyone in town where the train station is. From the center part of town descend Ferrocarril (Railroad) Avenue about ½ mile toward the river and the railroad tracks. When you get to the bottom of the street there are some gates just before the railroad tracks. Go through the gates and take a right turn and walk down the sidewalk that parallels and is immediately adjacent to the train tracks. The hotel is well signed and the front door is black metal and glass. Sometimes the door is locked during train arrival times. If so, just knock and someone will open the door for you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

The location is perhaps perfect except the few trains who honk in front during the night. The service, comfort and amenities are more likely in the range of a good 5 star hotel.
Also the restaurant serves delicious and well prepared meals.
I very much recommend the Alberque Lodge to everyone. Great place!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple