El Albergue is a great boutique hotel. Although it is on the Ollantaytambo Railway Station (really, you open the door and you are on the platform), if you think you do not want the sounds of the trains to disturb you, stay in the rooms towards the back. It is really worth it. We chose it for its location. We took the first Vista Dome Train to MP and were able to take the last Expedition Train from MP because of this hotel. Just got off the train, walked into the hotel and into our room!!!! What more can you ask for! (By doing this we got the maximum time in MP (6 hours at the site itself not including the bus and train journey !!!).
Back to the hotel. Our superior balcony room was spacious, neatly and romantically furnished and the view from the windows and our balcony was breathtaking. It was a heady feeling to see the snow capped peaks of the Andean mountains so close up.
El Albergue boasts of the best restaurant in town. We agree. Although on the pricy side, it is worth it. My husband tried the Alpaca steak and liked it. Do try their Pisco Sours, especially during the happy hour. The breakfast is wholesome and good. The staff is courteous and helpful. Sergio at the reception took great pains to ensure that our stay was a memorable one. He told us about shortcuts to the ruins among other useful information and he has a great sense of humour. An asset to any service oriented place.
We stayed here for 3 nights and whole heartedly and strongly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley