Halfway between Cusco and Machu Picchu lies Ollantaytambo. This best preserved Incan style town is relatively quiet and holds the second best Incan ruins in Peru. It’s a great place to catch your breath. El Albergue is known as the nicest accommodation in Ollantay. Incredibly it is literally entered directly from the platform from which the trains depart for Machu Picchu. Surprisingly this does not make it noisy as you might expect. The trains are rather infrequent, arrive only in waking hours, and come into the station at such a slow speed that they really do not make much noise. In fact from a table in either the café or restaurant they simply add unique ambience.
The inn is located a short distance from the center of town. The famous ruins can be reached either by road or by a little travelled Incan path which leads you directly there. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well appointed. We had one of the newer rooms toward the back of the inn. There were comfortable chairs for relaxing on the veranda outside and fantastic views of the mountains.
The restaurant on site is the best in town serving sophisticated renditions of local foods and supplied from its own large organic garden. We spent 2 nights here and could have stayed longer and used it as a base from which to explore the Sacred Valley.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley