My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights during our trip to Machu Picchu. The hotel itself has quite a history, and the buildings are quite old and interesting. The room we stayed in had creaky wood floors (didn't bother me, but maybe the manager in the office below!) and nice old windows and doors. The bathroom was quite good considering the age of the building.
There were paths through a garden leading to other rooms, full of flowers, plants and birds. Given its proximity to the train station (6 Feet out the front door) the train noise didn't bother us. When we got up early to catch the train, we basically had to go out the front door and we were there.
The hotel staff were wonderful and helpful, especially Sergio. They even purchased our tickets to Machu Picchu for us since we could not get the website to work properly from home.
The adjoining restaurant was some of the best food I have had in South America. The coffee shop makes a mean macchiato and has a proper machine. Good wine too. They prepared a box lunch for our trip up to Machu Picchu hat was enough food for the two of us.
I highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again. Convenient, charming and a great value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Ebookers so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley