El Albergue Ollantaytambo
  • Breakfast included
Hostel Andenes(Ollantaytambo)
  • Breakfast included
1,795 results
All reviewsorganic farmtrain platformpachamanca lunchtrain noisesacred valleyeucalyptus saunaalpaca steakgreat restaurantbrowniebalcony roomconvenient locationtaking the trainin towntrip to machu picchubeautiful gardenpancakesearly train
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We found El Albergue to be perfect for what we used it for--a relaxing stop on the way back to Cusco from Aguas Calientes. Ollantaytambo was a fantastic town and we would have liked to spend more time there at the expense of Aguas, which was not anywhere near as nice.

The hotel was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and represented a much better value than the other places we had found on our trip. The staff was friendly and accessible, and the sauna was apparently available anytime we wanted to use it; they just had to heat it up for us. (In the end we were too tired to take advantage of it, but it was definitely an unexpected amenity which sounded great). The rooms were very nice and the hot water was 100% reliable when we were there, which distinguished it from any small-town accommodation we'd had in Peru to this point. Food was great as well, and the breakfast was a full breakfast rather than just a small roll and tea. We also took the hotel-airport transfer, which was clean and comfortable, and the driver suggested stops along the way for photos while still being cognizant of our timing to arrive with just the right amount of leeway for our flight. We might have been able to get it cheaper by walking up to the square but this was perfectly convenient for us and probably didn't cost much more than average.
Our only regret is that we didn't make more time for Ollantaytambo, as it looked like a more worthwhile town to wander than Aguas Calientes.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monkk
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Regretfully my brother and I only had one night here. The place was beautiful! We were concerned with it being so close to the train station but we didn't hear anything. The rooms great, the people wonderful, the food out of this world. We were going to walk to another hotel for dinner but after having our complimentary pisco sour and meeting some lovely people, we decided to stay and eat here. Amazing! Joaquin is the perfect host. Wish I had more time to spend. Been thinking about it since I left. Cafe is great as well... make sure you buy some coffee! It's not all that good anywhere else. Matacuy after your meal is a must too.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2009

After two nights in El Albergue, we decided this place was overrated and pretentious.

On the positive side, this B&B, run by an American ex-pat who we never saw, is clean, stylish, and has comfortable rooms that are tastefully decorated. It has a kind of "hip" quality is that more American than Peruvian. That's ok.

On the downside, however, much of El Albergue's "hipness" is pretentious and cultivated. You get the sense that they think they are very cool--and they want you to know it. The staff is okay, but not particularly friendly or welcoming. Prices are high for what you get. For example, we paid an astonishing $15 for two loads of laundry, while the meal we had at their restaurant (which I did think was quite good) was the most expensive we had in Peru. We both came away questioning whether what we had paid for the room, the meal, and the laundry was worth it.

BUT the biggest issue is the fact that the hotel is ON the train platform. This means that if you have one of the rooms whose window overlooks the platform, you start hearing the trains at 5:30am!!! So, this is NOT the place for light or late sleepers. The trains continue until sometime around 10pm. How can such a "hip" place have such a lousy location?

One other note ... the hotel proprietors are big proponents of eliminating bottled water (a worthy cause). They offer filtered in the room, lobby, and restaurant as an incentive to refill bottles. The only catch ... after drinking their water for a day, I felt bad. Bottles or no, it was bottled water for me after that and I felt much better.

Also, the internet services here are very limited--again, didn't seem to be in keeping w/ the price -- and the services offered by comparable places in Peru.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank historygal07
peruhotelwatch, Owner/manager at El Albergue Ollantaytambo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2009

I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your stay here at El Albergue. We do what we can to make sure our guests are happy with our services and their stay here. It is good to hear that you, as others have, did enjoy the food, "the tasteful decor" and "stylish" hotel. As to your complaints:

The laundry costs $3.00 per kilo as compared to $1.50 at the laundry place in town.

Certainly you can find less expensive meals in many restaurants in Peru, however, we are far from being the most expensive, our entrees are priced between $7 and $10.

High speed internet is a new service only recently available in Ollantaytambo, at the time of your visit we had our new wi-fi service available for free to all clients for exactly 3 weeks, a huge step after 10 years of dial-up connection.

We continue to provide bottled water to our guests in 20 liter jugs that we purchase from the same company that sells you your 500ml bottles of water. I seriously doubt that this water is any different from the smaller bottles that you bought and ended up in a landfill or in the river.

This hotel was built in 1925 on the train station platform, it is a historical landmark and part of the experience of staying here involves being inside the train station. Yes, the trains can be heard and felt, we do not plan to move the hotel and hope the trains keep on coming, hip or not hip.

I am the Peruvian-born son of the owner and manager of the hotel. I live on the grounds and I like meeting the guests that stay here but don't always meet everyone. Too bad we did not have a chance to meet, I am sure it would have been a pleasure to get to know you.

Kind regards,

Joaquín Randall
Gerente
El Albergue
Ollantaytambo

Reviewed 6 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at El Albergue for three nights in May and had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend staying in Ollantaytambo and at El Albergue. Ollantaytambo is a small, charming town with beautiful scenery.

There are so many positive things to say about El Albergue: it's proximity to the train, the cozy restaurant with delicious food (the pasta and alpaca were great), filling breakfast (each day you choose from about four different options), the cafe overlooking the train platform, free bottled and drinking water, the box lunches available for purchase (my husband and I split one the day we went to Manchu Picchu instead of paying an outrageous amount for the food there), in-room safe, and the gorgeous and well-kept areas outside. In addition, the staff was friendly, helpful, and spoke English quite well. They notified us of a possible strike when we first arrived so we could change our train tickets and arranged a horse back riding tour to for us to Pumamarca (which I would highly recommend if you have the time). I don't know if it would have been cheaper booking the horse back riding directly with the tour company, but this way was convenient and we were able to add the cost to our B&B bill.

It would have been nice to have a tv in our room or the lounge, although some people would say just the opposite. We were not bothered by the train station like some of the previous reviewers, and did not think it was noisy. However, I am glad we got a room on the second floor because the floors were a bit creaky. We also didn't mind being outside the center of town. The walk from town is very quick and easy (you may want to bring a flashlight with you if walking after dark). The walk into town is a little more difficult because it's uphill, but it was only 1 sole ($0.33) a person to take a moto-taxi. While it's nice that the B&B will arrange transportation for you to/from Cusco, we found it was cheaper finding our own taxi (which are plentiful outside the train station) since there were only two of us.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bridget-Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Our travel research before our Perú trip told my wife and I about Ollantaytambo, a unique Inca town continuously inhabited since the 15th century, At 9,000 feet elevation, Ollantaytambo was an appealing base for our week in the Sacred Valley. Since childhood, I have had a special interest in the Inca world. At El Albergue, we found everything we could have wanted for an adventurous visit!
The hotel featured colonial dark wood beams and wood floors. The balcony outside our room looked down upon a lovely walled garden planted with exuberant white calla lilies and a venerable palm tree. On clear mornings, we beheld sparkling glaciers on distant Andean peaks.
Joaquin Randall Weeks, who owns and runs El Albergue and speaks fluent English and Spanish, was constantly available to answer our questions with inexhaustible friendliness. He presided over an atmosphere that was both relaxed and energizing! We dined in the hotel’s restaurant, Café Mayu, for breakfast and dinner each day. We tasted all the dishes that fit our vegetarian diet, and especially enjoyed the stuffed Andean pepper, and the cookies and brownies were wickedly delicious.
Joaquin hired a wonderful guide for us, a native of Ollantaytambo, who took us to the fascinating stone streets and walls of the town, and then the magnificent high Inca fortress of Pisac and its famous market.
On the last day of our visit, we took the vista dome train ride to breathtaking Machu Picchu. We literally walked out of our hotel through the charming 1920s railway station and into our train car for the magnificent ride down the Urubamba River gorge!
As we flew back to Lima, my wife and I both felt we had discovered a fascinating hotel and world where we felt at home. We hope we can visit El Albergue again and soon!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple