We stayed at El Albergue for our first 3 nights in Peru. It's about a 1.5 hr beautiful drive from Cusco. We found the location convenient, as we were taking the train to Machu Picchu our 3rd night. It is an uphill walk into town, which might be tough if you're affected by the altitude- we weren't, so it was fine. It's walking distance to the Ollantaytambo ruins, and we had a car take us about a half hour drive to visit Moray and Maras which were beautiful and worth seeing.
The rooms are spotlessly clean. We stayed in Room 1 on the 2nd floor- no TV or hairdryer like other reviewers said, but we slept pretty early and didn't spend much time in there. Dark plank floors, textiles on the walls, it was very charming and rustic. The food was excellent. We had dinner there twice, and the included breakfast (eggs and toast or pancakes) was delicious and filling. The coffee there was the best we had in Peru. We took their packed lunch to MP, which was a godsend after climbing Wayna Picchu- if you are going on the first train out (5am), you'll need to eat something as you're climbing all over everything and it's exhausting. We ordered room service once (a pressed hot sandwich) which was delicious, and later wished we used the laundry service (it was cheaper than our later hotels.)
The staff was super friendly and helpful in every way. There was wifi, but it wasn't very strong unless you were right next to the office. We were glad we chose this hotel as a base for exploring the Sacred Valley.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley