I have been staying at the Albergue off and on since 1982, and it just keeps getting better. I have worked as an adventure travel guide in the Cusco, Peru region since that time, and I can honestly say that the Albergue is unique compared to all the other many hotels and hostals that have sprung up in the Urubamba Valley over the years. What makes it special is its "rustic perfection" as one local newspaper stated. The Albergue has a very comfortable, homey atmosphere, with lovely gardens and quiet outdoors, and is built out of local materials to give it the natural, country-Peru feeling. That is the rustic part. The "perfection" part is that every single detail is attended to: everything is very clean and completely works (as opposed to a "rustic" that implies lack of hygiene, run-down aspects and things that don't work). The Albergue is neatly organized, in good repair, clean, water supplied in rooms, hot water that works, etc. In addition, the bilingual staff is friendly and helpful with information about what to do, where to go, etc. It is a place with a lot of history, having been passed from mother to son. If the walls could speak, the stories and adventures would be fantastic, again singling this place out from the newer, more generic places in the valley. Oh, and the new dining room! Wow, with first-class food and varied choice on the menu. And, like my sister says, "the best brownie sundaes in the whole world!" To die for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley