“A place full of character and with a great staff”

El Albergue Ollantaytambo
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kinnelon, NJ
“A place full of character and with a great staff”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We stayed here 2 nights last week (had wanted to stay 3, but it was booked). If you plan on spending some time in Ollantaytambo - - certainly recommended; it's a great village and warrants more than a 1-day tour - - this is the place to use as your home base.
It's not big and not for anyone looking for 'plush' surroundings. Think of history, character, warm woods: a simple small country inn with a phenomenal staff that help make your stay (thank you Sergio, Lluc and all others)! The rooms are simple and comfortable, tastefully decorated and full of character; the 2nd floor balcony overlooks a lovely small garden. The cozy dining room serves a hearty breakfast and wonderful and imaginative dinners. We were sad to have to leave and spend our 3rd night in Ollantaytambi in another hotel. If you can - stay here! This is truly a unique property, both in terms of the staff as well as the feeling of the place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2010

This hotel was probably the most charming hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms were good. The food was good and the service excellent, also if you are in Ollantaytambo this place is a must!

Albany, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My husband and I can not say enough wonderful thimgs about our stay at El Albergue!
From the service that we received when we arrived, from Sergio, the hotel desk clerk, who made sure that our luggage was picked up from our previous hotel after our 4 day trek. The hotel was beautiful and clean! The food was excellant! The service was the best
in every aspect! We would go back in a heartbeat! A must place to stay if you can!!!
We will be back!
.John & Jennifer Tremblay
Clifton Park, NY

Germany
Reviewed 8 June 2010

The hotel is located directly on the train platform. During our stay there were no trains because the line was still closed after the landslide. But even with trains going, it will probably be as quiet. Its perfect as stopover on your way to Macchu Piccu.
The rooms are simple but nice, the whole atmosphere , especiallly the courtzard,is really beautiful. Breakfast is good, especially the cafe, and the restaurant is excellent and cheap (but kitchen closes at 8.30, so be home early).
Free wireless is available, but no TV.

The

The new rooms should be finished soon, they were still under construction in may.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed one night at El Albergue before starting the 1 day Ica Trail. We enoyed the hotel, the grounds are beautiful. The rooms are well decorated and the bed was comfortable with nice linens. It would have been a more convenient location had the train been running fully when we were there. Due to the Jan. flood you still have to bus to another city to get the train vs. getting it in Ollantaytambo. The restaurant was excellent try the pasta all homemade and excellent. I would recommend this as a place to stay in the sacred valley. Also try the Heart Cafe for excellent food and Coffee.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 June 2010

At this time, june 2010, the Ollantaytambo train station in not in service but this would be the best location for a short stay in the city. The hotel in on the train platform meaning one could walk from the train and straight into the hotel. No need for taxi or asking directions, it right there. Now being that the train is not in service meant I hired a taxi from Cuzco to here. I paid 10 soles for a taxi I shared with 3 people from spain. Total travel time 1hour 15 minutes. The taxi dropped us off a gate in the city were the taxis can go no farther. I just asked which way to the train station and I found the hotel in 10minutes just a bit too early for lunch inside the hotel cafe. The kitchen reopened at 100pm and I was there around 115pm to find a large group of hikers, one couple and a retired gentleman from liverpool already inside. I ordered the Trucha a la Plancha( grilled trout). I believe the large group ordered a 2 course lunch. Well with only two people working the kitchen, things took a long time to prepare. The leader of the group started complaining loudly to the cooks and the front desk. This went on and on until the group got up and left the cafe. I had my meal in about hour and 15 minutes. Yes a bit long but, the cooks had much to deal with. After I finish my meal, I ordered the Ice cream and Chocolate brownie. It was so good, great combination. When I received my bill the employee apologized for the wait and didnt charge me for my dessert. I thought that was cool.
The room is nice and clean with hot water and a heater in the room. I didnt need it though, the heater. Im on the hotel wifi as I write this review and I have a very strong signal. however my room is right about the lobby so maybe thats the reason. No TV in the room but everything else I have no complaints.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Newton, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The service we experienced at this hotel was perfect. Everyone was so nice and we really felt welcome! The room was really beautiful. The bathroom was really nice and everything was very clean and cozy. The food was delicious! We only got to stay at this hotel for one night, but we went back the 2nd night we were in Ollantaytambo for dinner because it was so good. One of the best parts was the sauna. It was so nice and there was fresh eucalyptus inside. We highly recommend this place to anyone staying in Ollantaytambo!!!