“Best Hotel & Restaurant On Around The World Trip”

El Albergue Ollantaytambo
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I have recently completed an around the world trip and El Albergue Hotel & Restaurant wins two prizes for the trip . . . best hotel and best restaurant. When I wrote this review El Albergue was rated the #1 hotel in Ollantaytambo on Trip Advisor which it so richly deserves.

Very occasionally in my travels have I come upon a place to stay that is truly memorable. El Albergue Hotel & Restaurant is such a place. Ever since I first visited their web site, I was looking forward to my short stay there. The location is very unique . . . it’s in the train station which is the only access to Machu Picchu (unless you walk all the way to MP). In fact most walkers take the train part way until it intersects the Inca Trail which leads to Machu Picchu.

My particular room, Number 7 (a Superior Double). was upstairs in the garden area with two beds at a very reasonable $63 US per night. I stayed here on January 19, my only regret being that I didn’t have more time to spend at this lovely hotel.

So, the front door of the hotel is 6 feet from the train tracks. I enjoy trains, so you can imagine that this alone was a big plus. The hotel is owned by an artist woman, Wendy Weeks, who I met by chance as I was walking to the hotel. Her design flair is evident throughout the hotel, many of the paintings being hers. I don’t know quite how to describe the style of the place other than to say that the art work is modern and the physical structures are traditional and cozy and arty.

It all works incredibly well!

The hotel has a wonderful restaurant right off of the entry area. It has a great open plan with little separating you from the kitchen. There along the back wall are dozens of spice jars all about 1 pint size with a colorful array of spices. When I got there after normal lunch hour they were making fresh pasta which was strung on hangers near the front (closest to the dining area). The dining area is largely done in white and black which tends to draw the eyes to artwork and kitchen. Just a wonderful space! See my photos which do a much better job of showing this lovely hotel than I can describe in words.

The food that I had at El Albergue is the best that I’ve had anywhere on this trip.

I got adventuresome here and had the alpaca steak for dinner. The meat and sauce were great. The meat itself is lean, but both tender and succulent. I’d go so far to say that it was one of the best pieces of meat that I’ve ever eaten.

How to get here? Easy! Just ask anyone in town where the train station is. From the center part of town descend Ferrocarril (Railroad) Avenue about ½ mile toward the river and the railroad tracks. When you get to the bottom of the street there are some gates just before the railroad tracks. Go through the gates and take a right turn and walk down the sidewalk that parallels and is immediately adjacent to the train tracks. The hotel is well signed and the front door is black metal and glass. Sometimes the door is locked during train arrival times. If so, just knock and someone will open the door for you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,717)

Reviewed 6 March 2011

The location is perhaps perfect except the few trains who honk in front during the night. The service, comfort and amenities are more likely in the range of a good 5 star hotel.
Also the restaurant serves delicious and well prepared meals.
I very much recommend the Alberque Lodge to everyone. Great place!

1  Thank Swissutah
Reviewed 4 March 2011

When we walked into our room we were so amazingly surprised. My daughter rushed and opened the gorgeous swing out shuttered windows to a huge field of corn and the Ollaytambo ruins in the distance on a towering Andean peak. We both sat and took in our surrounds and were so enchanted. Our room had lush white fluffy duvets and the softest pillows, a small comfy sofa, very high ceilings with exposed wooden beams, a lovely storage closet, and huge bathroom with a to die for stone sink. Liquid soaps and shampoos, flowers and bottled water were waiting for us. Everything was extremely tasteful and artistic. We walked out to our veranda, and found we had a chair and a small wooden sofa with an lovely Andean woven blanket. The view from the sofa became my favorite perch to view the Andes towering on either side of us. Each time we would walk to the main station house, we wound our way through a gorgeous garden with a small meandering stone canal of water, and lovely ancient stone artifacts scattered here and there. The staff was so lovely and helpful to us, which mean a lot to a mother and daughter traveling alone in Peru. We felt safe and taken care of in a quiet lovely way. Thank you El Albergue!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We stayed at El Albergue for one night after our stay at Macchu Picchu. I was very impressed with how nice the room was and how great the service was. The breakfast provided was by far the best breakfast of the trip. I can't say enough about how wonderful our stay at El Alberque was. The restaurant was top notch. We found that we would rather walk back to the hotel for lunch and dinner since we were guaranteed to have a great meal at the hotel's restaurant. I also have to say, it was a pleasure to watch from the balcony, the locals and the trains pass by. My only regret is that we didnt' stay longer at El alberque.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Everything was perfect. The rooms were pretty and set in a garden with a lamb for a lawnmower. My favorite moment occurred just outside our room -- I was looking up at the misty peaks around us and a flock of parrots went far overhead. It was magical. The location right on the train tracks was perfect too. The breakfast was great. The coffee was excellent. And the rooms were so pretty. I can't say enough about El Albergue Ollantaytambo. Pictures are on FLICKR, username kathyu.

1  Thank urbanrenewal
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The rooms, staff,restaurant, and location could not be better....the town is charming and such a nice place to catch the train to Machu Piccu.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

Everything you read positive is true. El Albergue has simple but very comfortable accomodations. The resturant is excellent and prepared a wonderful meal for 16!!! The staff was exceptionally acommodating and helped us with details and recommendations during our trip. It is a wonderful location in away from the hustle and bustle of Cuzco. Like previous reviews have mentioned, it is at the train stations which provides easy access for an early morning departure to Machu Picchu. Although there is some train noise, it was not a problem and stops during the night. We had an excellent stay....Thank you Wendy and Sergio for making our stay so nice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ollantaytambo
Pakaritampu Hotel
Hotel Samanapaq
Hotel Samanapaq
#6 of 21 in Ollantaytambo
Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado

Been to El Albergue Ollantaytambo? Share your experiences!