“Terrific hotel near notable ruins”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of SAUCE Hostal

SAUCE Hostal
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
unazurda
“Terrific hotel near notable ruins”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I booked Hotel Sauce for my family's trip to the Sacred Valley, and Graciela and her staff were wonderful hosts. The place is beautiful, the rooms were comfortable, and we were very central to the Ollantaytambo ruins as well as to the town centers -- the square and the road up from the train station. Graciela is very helpful in getting wake up calls and helping you arrange for transport, if you need it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank unazurda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
london
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night on my way to Machu Picchu and it is perfect for a pit stop. The hotel entrance is nice, the bedroom was large with a very comfortable bed , the bathroom a very good size with a good powerful shower. It was spotlessly clean too.
Be warned there is no television in the room which means that if, like me, you are traveling solo and end up in Ollantaytambo around 4pm having already visited the place then it can be a long evening. This is not the hotel's fault of course but had the agency told me I would have brought a book! There was a TV in the downstairs room but when I got back from a local internet cafe later on in the day there were 2 people reading in there and I did not want to disturb them.
I had to be out of the hotel by 6.15am to catch an early train the next morning and asked if I could have breakfast at 6am to which I was told that breakfast didn't normally start till 7am. After a very amicable discussion with the lady at reception (whom I suspect was the owner) I was told me breakfast would be ready for me at 6, now that's service for you. At $90 a night I felt I could ask for someone to go the extra mile. All in all I had a very pleasant experience at this hotel and could not recommend it more.Thank you to all who work there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank docklie
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 May 2011

What a great little hotel in a charming city! We spent one night in Ollyantaytambo on our way to Machu Picchu. The ruins here are incredible and the Hotel Sauce has great views of the ruins. Our room was basic, but very clean and nice. And the staff was so friendly and helpful. Oh, and the breakfast was delish!

If you're in the area, I'd definitely recommend both Ollyantaytambo and the Hotel Sauce.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CardinalsFan51
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Thourghly enjoyed staying in this lovely place. It was clean, quiet and homey. The location was really nice being right in town easy to walk to everything. Perfect spot in Ollantaytambo!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Craig and Diane W
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Hostel Sauce was a great place to stay. Clean, good showers, central location, great views of the ruins. Our only problem, which the staff worked quickly to fix was the wood smoke in the rooms on the east side of the hotel. There is a chimney (not belonging to the hotel) outside which pumps out smoke that ends up in the rooms on the east side. They moved us to the west and we were vert happy there for four nights. Most people seem to stay one night in Ollan en route to MP, what a mistake! There is great hiking in town, beautiful ruins that you can gave to yourself in the morning if you arr staying in town, excellent restaurants and its much cheaper than aguas caliente. Hang out at hostel Sauce for a few days You'llove it.

• Stayed April 2011
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Nice play in center of Ollantaytambo. Definitely recommend staying at least 1 night and travelling to Machu Picchu from the train station here. The staff helped us with everything from picking us up in Cusco to making a quick lunch for us for Machu Picchu even when we were running late for the train. They speak very little English, so knowing some Spanish might be helpful. Certainly not a requirement.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Nicely located right in town, this hotel had wonderfully clean rooms and bathrooms. The view from the hotel was lovely. The staff was very helpful and even came and picked up our bags from another hotel to hold them while we visited Machu Picchu.

The breakfast was very generous and fresh. They helped us arrange a car and driver at a good price.

The beds had beautiful linens and comforters.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family