“Absolutely wonderful!”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Brisbane, Australia
“Absolutely wonderful!”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Hotel Las Orquideas is a fabulous place to stay. The rooms are comfortable and cleaned daily with fresh towels. The garden is lovely, and a welcome place to relax in the sun. We travelled with our 2 kids aged 8 and 6, and it is very easy to be there. Eva, Romulo and Gloria are all so friendly and helpful. Breakfast includes cereal, yoghurt, some fruit and bread. Everything is so close to the hotel . . . little shop, restaurants, the main square, and the entrance to the magnificent Ollantaytambo Inca ruins. Train station is just down the hill. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sauda, Norway
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Hotel Las Orquideas is a lovely place!
I have been ther many times!!!
This last time I stayed there for 2 months with my husband and two kids.
The people there are so friendly and nice. We felt so welcome there :)
In the garden we could play with the kids, and we had a lot of fun with the kid who lives there . If you travel with kids I would recommend this hotel!!
The hotel offers trips up to the valley ( Willoc and Patacancha), they showed us around in the plaza and the streets, we met local people and made friends with them.
Eva and Romulo are such nice people! I love them....I will travel back to them soon :)

We got good breakfast and dinner! If we asked they gave us the and coffee, whenever we wanted it.
The hotel are close to the trainstation and the main square. Good location.

Ps. My husband is the artist of all the paintings in the rooms :)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We stayed here for one night before taking off for the Inca Trail. As a start base for the Inca Trail it is perfect place. It is a budget hotel so don't expect any luxury. It does have a nice courtyard to sit outside and play a game of cards. There is a computer with internet access which was for free when we were there (although internet was disconnected on several occasions, but hey this is South America after all). No frills hostel but perfectly ok as a starting point for the Inca Trail.

• Stayed August 2010
Antwerp
Reviewed 25 November 2010

My husband and I and a friend stayed 1 night in this hotel, as part of a Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu package which was organised by Inca World Peru, calle Suecia 300, Cusco.
They had offered us a price which included busrides, trainrides, 1 night in a budget hotel in Aguas Calientes and 1 night in Ollantaytambo,the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu and a private carride with guide back to Cusco.
I had requested this travel agency by email to reserve Wiracocha Inn in Aguas Calientes and Hotel Iskay or Casa de Wow in Ollantaytambo . When we got the envelope with the vouchers in Cusco, we saw that they had booked us in Las Orquideas in Ollantaytambo.

I had read all the reviews about the hotels in Peru , and I knew I had read something unfavourable about this hostel, so before we took the eveningtrain from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes we stopped by the hostel in order to see if it was alright. Our first impression was that the rooms and bathrooms were basic but clean, there is a nice garden, and the location is close to the station.

We took the train to Aguas Calientes (and saw that the travel agency had tried to cheat us : they had charged us 45 US dollar per person per ride to and from Aguas Calientes, whereas on the tickets it said 29 US dollar to go go and 36 US dollar to come back ; after a complaint to the people of the agency we got the difference back , minus 7 US per person they claimed was a reservation fee. Afterward we discovered they cheated us again when they charged us 60 soles per person for a halfdaytrip to Tipon, Piccilacta and Andahuaylillas, whereas people on our bus who booked through other agencies only payed 30 to 35 soles. Again they payed us back the difference, but it goes to show that you really must check that you really get what you payed for when you book a tour )

When we arrived in Hostal Las Orquideas after our visit to Machu Picchu 1 day later, my husband and I got a room with a double bed in the corner on the ground floor,( I don't remember the roomnumber, but it is the room closest to the breakfastroom, opposite the front door of the hotel) Our friend had the room next door.
We slept well, until I woke from a terrible itching at 5 o'clock in the morning. I went to check in the bathroom mirror and saw that I had multiple bites underneath my upperarm and around my ankles and on my knee.
I am allergic to insectbites, and these were red, thick and itched like hell. My husband was also bitten on the arms, but not as much as I. We both took a hot shower, sealed every shred of clothing that might have come in contact with the sheats in a plastic bag and went to sit in the breakfastroom.

As soon as the staff arrived, I showed the bites and they immediatly sent for the owner. She tried to make us believe it could have been mosquitos, and pointed out that there were clean sheats on the bed (which was true) and that there were no insects to be seen on the sheats. I didn't find the spanish word for bedbugs in my small dictionary, and settled on fleas in stead of that. She then armed the staff with insectspray and let them spray the room, the matress and our luggage.

Our friend in the room next door had no complaints at all. She had slept like a rose, had had a good hot shower and had no bites. So whatever insects it might have been, the problem was only in 1 room. The breakfast was alright and the garden was beautiful, so if you avoid this one room, maybe it could be an OK hostal.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelcrazyAntwerp

Travellers are raving about these Ollantaytambo hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Travelled with Gap Adventures.
Cozy, clean, hotel with beautiful garden courtyard. Have to be buzzed in which provides feeling of safety. Rooms comfortable and clean. Easy walking to market, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ColinDCalgary
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We were here one night as part of a tour. The courtyard is adorable, although the plants need a little TLC. The staff were extremely accommodating--waking us up and preparing breakfast for our group outside of their normal opening/breakfast serving times. The location was very convenient, and the rustic, cozy rooms made for a good night's sleep. Also, best shower of the trip.

Someone mentioned banging on the door--if you find yourself locked out, there is a *doorbell* on the right hand side of the door. It looks like a lightswitch.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank pumpkinpasty
Cooperstown, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed 2 separate days seeing 3 different rooms. On returning from Machu Picchu before 9PM (tired and dusty) it took 10 minutes of loud banging for someone to open the door ....no apology. All other places we stayed in 3 weeks in Peru were immaculate with helpful staff. Flowerpots were unwatered and flowers barely hanging on.Breakfast was a stale roll with meager jam, no fruit or juice. The shared WC had no toilet seat, no TP, and no soap! Our MP return evening our room had no towels, no soap, no apology! Look elsewhere in Ollanta. This place COULD be a gem with effort. There are wooden floors that haven't seen wax in years. A great potential spot is wasted by lackluster staffing.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple