“Bugs in 1 bed !”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Las Orquideas
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Reviewed 25 November 2010

My husband and I and a friend stayed 1 night in this hotel, as part of a Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu package which was organised by Inca World Peru, calle Suecia 300, Cusco.
They had offered us a price which included busrides, trainrides, 1 night in a budget hotel in Aguas Calientes and 1 night in Ollantaytambo,the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu and a private carride with guide back to Cusco.
I had requested this travel agency by email to reserve Wiracocha Inn in Aguas Calientes and Hotel Iskay or Casa de Wow in Ollantaytambo . When we got the envelope with the vouchers in Cusco, we saw that they had booked us in Las Orquideas in Ollantaytambo.

I had read all the reviews about the hotels in Peru , and I knew I had read something unfavourable about this hostel, so before we took the eveningtrain from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes we stopped by the hostel in order to see if it was alright. Our first impression was that the rooms and bathrooms were basic but clean, there is a nice garden, and the location is close to the station.

We took the train to Aguas Calientes (and saw that the travel agency had tried to cheat us : they had charged us 45 US dollar per person per ride to and from Aguas Calientes, whereas on the tickets it said 29 US dollar to go go and 36 US dollar to come back ; after a complaint to the people of the agency we got the difference back , minus 7 US per person they claimed was a reservation fee. Afterward we discovered they cheated us again when they charged us 60 soles per person for a halfdaytrip to Tipon, Piccilacta and Andahuaylillas, whereas people on our bus who booked through other agencies only payed 30 to 35 soles. Again they payed us back the difference, but it goes to show that you really must check that you really get what you payed for when you book a tour )

When we arrived in Hostal Las Orquideas after our visit to Machu Picchu 1 day later, my husband and I got a room with a double bed in the corner on the ground floor,( I don't remember the roomnumber, but it is the room closest to the breakfastroom, opposite the front door of the hotel) Our friend had the room next door.
We slept well, until I woke from a terrible itching at 5 o'clock in the morning. I went to check in the bathroom mirror and saw that I had multiple bites underneath my upperarm and around my ankles and on my knee.
I am allergic to insectbites, and these were red, thick and itched like hell. My husband was also bitten on the arms, but not as much as I. We both took a hot shower, sealed every shred of clothing that might have come in contact with the sheats in a plastic bag and went to sit in the breakfastroom.

As soon as the staff arrived, I showed the bites and they immediatly sent for the owner. She tried to make us believe it could have been mosquitos, and pointed out that there were clean sheats on the bed (which was true) and that there were no insects to be seen on the sheats. I didn't find the spanish word for bedbugs in my small dictionary, and settled on fleas in stead of that. She then armed the staff with insectspray and let them spray the room, the matress and our luggage.

Our friend in the room next door had no complaints at all. She had slept like a rose, had had a good hot shower and had no bites. So whatever insects it might have been, the problem was only in 1 room. The breakfast was alright and the garden was beautiful, so if you avoid this one room, maybe it could be an OK hostal.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelcrazyAntwerp

Reviewed 23 October 2010

Travelled with Gap Adventures.
Cozy, clean, hotel with beautiful garden courtyard. Have to be buzzed in which provides feeling of safety. Rooms comfortable and clean. Easy walking to market, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ColinDCalgary
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We were here one night as part of a tour. The courtyard is adorable, although the plants need a little TLC. The staff were extremely accommodating--waking us up and preparing breakfast for our group outside of their normal opening/breakfast serving times. The location was very convenient, and the rustic, cozy rooms made for a good night's sleep. Also, best shower of the trip.

Someone mentioned banging on the door--if you find yourself locked out, there is a *doorbell* on the right hand side of the door. It looks like a lightswitch.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank pumpkinpasty
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed 2 separate days seeing 3 different rooms. On returning from Machu Picchu before 9PM (tired and dusty) it took 10 minutes of loud banging for someone to open the door ....no apology. All other places we stayed in 3 weeks in Peru were immaculate with helpful staff. Flowerpots were unwatered and flowers barely hanging on.Breakfast was a stale roll with meager jam, no fruit or juice. The shared WC had no toilet seat, no TP, and no soap! Our MP return evening our room had no towels, no soap, no apology! Look elsewhere in Ollanta. This place COULD be a gem with effort. There are wooden floors that haven't seen wax in years. A great potential spot is wasted by lackluster staffing.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glimartsy
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I had confirmed a reservation with credit card and passport information, received confirmation from the hostal that our rooms were booked. When we arrived as the sun was setting they had given our rooms away to someone else and offered no apologies or assistance. We had to get a much more expensive hotel elsewhere since most places were full. Very irritating, and they really didn't seem to care. It was obvious they knew they had done something wrong since when I stated my room, they knew we had reserved a double and a single, but said that they were no longer available.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kmbkmb
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We arrived at Las Orquideas after a long and tiring day hiking Machu Picchu and taking trains. The rooms were very cozy and clean. Even though the hostel is located right on the main road to the train station, we were not disturbed at all by street noise as the town shuts down pretty much completely after dark. The hostel is a square shape with rooms around a courtyard. When you stand on the balcony you feel engulfed by the surrounding mountains which made it very beautiful. There was someone at the desk at all times to let you in to the hostel so the area was very safe. It got very chilly outside at night because we were there in the winter (and of course, in the mountains) but the rooms were not cold and the showers were amazing and totally relaxing after a day of serious hiking. In the morning they served a pretty great breakfast with multiple courses which is included in the price of your room. Overall a pretty good value for the money. Just a little more expensive than a budget hostel but worth the few extra dollars.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank globes_and_maps
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We stayed for one night in May 2008- a double with private ensuite bathroom (yes, with hot water!). The rooms are simple, but comfortable. The owner and staff were very friendly. The courtyard is very charming and gave the whole place a very relaxed feel. The hotel is in a great location because it's not on a busy street with cars that have smelly exhaust are. The room can be cold at night, but that seemed pretty standard in many Peruvian hotels (at least the ones I stayed in). Definitely recommended!

Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple