“Pleasant Accommodation for Children”
Review of Apu Lodge

Apu Lodge
Ranked #2 of 32 Ollantaytambo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My family with two young children (2, 4) stayed at the lodge for 3 nights to acclimate to the altitude before heading to Machu Picchu.We used Ollanta as a base to visit Pumamarca, Salt Mines, and Moray. We had a transfer from Cusco airport, which was useful as the roads were wet and we didn't have to worry about finding the lodge. We checked into a family room upstairs that had nice views of the granaries. Bathroom facilities were pretty basic with a shower that had plenty of hot water. The gardens were nice for the children to explore, and the location required lots of walking up and down cobblestone alleys. It's definitely off the beaten track, and less touristy than the area down by the train station. Service was friendly and the breakfast in the mornings was varied and yummy.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Apu Lodge

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Pluses: Beautiful garden, lots of sun, flowers, nice view, peaceful and quiet! Really hot shower! Good blankets. Free water and maté. They arranged private transport for us for a very fair price!

Minuses: Internet didn´t work. My room (number 4) smelled funny as if after some meal or spices. They promised to do something about it, but nothing happened. Also there was another door from my room, it was actually unlocked and led to their “staff areas” - that didn´t feel safe at all. At night I could hear every step of the people in the room above me!!!!!!!

Location: Yes, it is a little bit further from the center and cars can´t get there (our Sprinter left us at the main square). But they will bring your luggage (in a tricycle) and all you need to do is walk for 5 to 10 minutes from the main square (a fair price for the quiet). At night the path is well lighted. Location was no problem at all.

In general, the hotel looks great from outside, but I feel the rooms should be better. They need more care and cleaning (see the pictures) and better amenities (we only got soap, not even a shampoo). A safe box and better furniture would also help. However I think I got one of the worst rooms. I saw the upstairs ones and if I got one of those I would probably score 4 maybe even 5.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are nicer and you don´t hear people walking above you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Louise N, Owner at Apu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Thank you for your helpful review. Since your stay we have addressed most of your minuses and can still count with all the pluses (garden, sun, flowers, views, peace, showers, duvets, free drinks, beautiful location and help with luggage from the plaza).

You are right that the room you were in needed some work, and now it is really cosy. Access to your room from the rest of the hotel is now impossible as now there is a new wardrobe in front of the door that was previously visible. It has also been blocked from the other side with insulation, wooden paneling and a bookshelf. That room is the only one with no internet signal at all still. We now supply shampoo as well as soap.

Apologies for the deficiencies with your room when you stayed back in 2013. I believe it is now one of our best with gorgeous views of the ruins and the garden from two different sides.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights here. I was highly impressed with the hotel as we shared multiple emails back and forth prior to our arrival. They secured Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu tickets for us 2 months prior to us checking in. That saved a lot of time and worry. The owner speaks perfect English and the front desk staff speak enough English. We are a lesbian couple. Our only concern was that I had booked a king sized bed which they referred to as the "matrimony suite". The girl who checked us in laughed with confusion at this and offered us a room with a queen bed and a twin. Since we were not sure how to respond to this in a foreign country, we just took the room and snuggled in the queen sized bed. ;)The hotel is up a cobblestone road on the edge of the very small town. You cannot drive up to it so I recommend not having excessive bags to carry unless you have help. The hotel itself had amazing views and a beautiful garden. The room was simple and served its purpose but was clean. If you go in the cooler months, be forewarned that there is no heat, or AC for that matter. However they did supply us with a space heater on request. Good shower pressure ( not electric) and hot water did not run out. Don't expect a tv or anything fancy. However, you're in a town built among Incan ruins. Why would you want one anyway.The breakfast was bread, coffee, juice, fruits, yogurt and granola. We also had scrambled eggs. Various teas including coca tea (awesome) were available. Filtered water was readily available in the lobby.

When we left at 5am for the train to Machu Picchu, they had a little bag of breakfast (bread, fruit) waiting for us which was much appreciated. The hotel is a 15 minute walk to the train station. We felt completely safe both in the hotel as well as in Ollantaytambo. Given the chance, we would absolutely go back and chose to stay at Apu Lodge. Yes, there are other hotels closer to the town center but nothing can compare to the views at Apu Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kayakingfools
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Very nice place with a garden at the end of a long and narrow pebble stone road, below the Ollantaytambo mountain range. Advise is not to have any luggage beyond your backpack! Otherwise you have to carry it because you won't be able to drag them on the long pebble stone road.

Room Tip: Do not bring any luggage beyond your backpack, otherwise you have to carry it because you won't...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gl0baltr0tter
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I really enjoyed Apu Lodge and Ollaytaytambo. The town is built on old Incan ruins, and it definitely has a feel of adventure to it. If you're looking for luxury and all the modern amenities, then Ollaytaytambo may not be for you. But if you're looking for a place that is authentic and unique, while at the same time clean and friendly, I would recommend Apu Lodge.

Two of the staff were friendly and helpful, the third was aloof. We were interested in some traditional Peruvian ceremonies, and the staff helped arrange them. Very good ceremonies with Arturo.

The breakfast was great - yummy homemade granola, wonderful bread and jam, and eggs fixed to order. The coffee was good (and I tend to be a coffee snob). The beds were comfortable, and the rooms were quiet. The view was outstanding. We could see several ruins from the windows and balconies of the room. Pretty flower gardens with lots of birds, including some rather large hummingbirds!

I really enjoyed Ollaytaytambo. The streets are narrow and cobblestone - so somewhat difficult to walk on. But when you walk past a woman with long black braids, in a colorful skirt and interesting hat, and a baby strapped onto her back, you forget about your feet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We had great views of the ruins from our room at the Apu Lodge...which made up for the lack of modern amenities like TV and a decent Internet connection. It definitely has a backpacker vibe, so if you're looking for luxury you won't find it here. You will find a gracious and friendly staff though. Ruth was very sweet and helpful in arranging transportation and offering advice regarding our trip to Machu Picchu. They even left us breakfast at 5am before we left!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ep5809
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I try to be fair in reviews. So, first I'll state the positive.

Beautiful views - you can see the mountains and the ruins.
The room we stayed in was large and spacious.
For the most part, the room was clean.
The taxi pickup was easy and our luggage was brought to the lodge.

Minuses -
The shower is very hard to adjust. Sometimes the water was extremely hot, and you would turn the cold knob justify a smidge to lower the temp, and the water would go very cold. Even with fiddling with both knobs, it is hard to find a happy medium.
The bathroom shelves are rusty.
There were bugs flying around in the lobby and in the hallway.
We were not provided enough towels. This happened to other guests staying at the same time. When we finally got the towel, it was wet.
The trash was not removed with the first room cleaning.
One of the main reasons we chose this spot over another was because it had Internet. The first half of our stay, the Internet was extremely slow. Like "Why bother?" slow. The second half, the Internet did not work at all.
The staff was not very helpful. Frequent responses were, "I don't know," even for simple questions like a recommendation for somewhere to eat.
My tour arrangement was extremely unsmooth. I had one arrangement with two workers at night, but the one in the morning had no.clue what was going on. She said the tour was scheduled for hours later and if I wanted a tour -at the proper time - I would have to pay much more. The matter was only settled when the other ladies on the tour overheard me talking and helped the staff member see that yes, I had a tour at the time arranged.

Be forewarned-
Laundry availability depends on whether there is enough water (they have to check) and whether there is enough sun to air-dry your clothes. Also, it is relatively expensive. I paid twice as much to have my clothes washed than I would in the US. Plus, my clothes were damp at the end. The clothes are hung outside to dry (not inside) so of course if it is raining, the clothes will be absorbing moisture from the air, not vice-versa. Apparently, there were heaters that could be brought into the room (which would have been helpful) but staff neglected to tell me this.

Yes, the road to town is cobblestones, but it is not like the relatively flat cobblestones you are probably thinking of. It is quite raised and seems more like walking on rocks.

And yes, you will hear roosters crowing.

Would not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ese1111
ontheroadagain1Uk, Owner at Apu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thanks for your review, I have passed your comments on to staff and hope that we can be more helpful to future guests, as we have been in the past. I have a new receptionist in the evenings at the moment and its useful to get your feedback, we have reinforcements coming very soon. He had helped you to find other guests to do a tour with so that you could pay just a third of the cost of the taxi for your tour. The morning receptionist was confused by this as you were touring separately from your friends, and I am very sorry that we didn't note this arrangement, so that it was obvious to her what we had arranged, that you would meet the ladies whose taxi you were sharing, but glad that it worked so well.

Your visit coincided with unseasonal rain which will hopefully replenish the town reservoirs, always low at this time of year towards the end of the dry season after an exceptionally busy year for tourists, who consume lots of water. In the town supply, there was no water at all for one day of your visit due to maintenance of the reservoir the day you handed in your laundry.

My staff did an excellent job of conscientiously conserving water to ensure there was enough in our tanks for showers and for most laundry. Usually we have plenty of dry towels, though I will buy more and I apologise that the rain made it difficult for us to dry laundry without the usual bright sunshine we enjoy here almost every day in Ollantaytambo. As you say, we line dry everything, which is much more ecological than manufacturing and powering tumble driers and allows us to keep the cost of laundry down to less than $2 per kilo. Perhaps it would have been best for us to suggest you take your laundry elsewhere given the circumstances, though it might have been a bit inconvenient to take it all the way home!

One of Ollantaytambo's most attractive features is its Inca cobblestone streets, akin to the Inca trail rather than your average high street or mall, but fortunately not too rocky, though its hard to pull cases along so we were very glad to help with your luggage.

Our internet is not super fast, we have to use a cell phone modem as the telephone company is not allowed to install cables on this Inca street. It's ok most of the time for email and browsing, but not for watching movies and occasionally needs resetting.

I am glad you liked our rooms and fantastic views. Thanks for pointing out the rusty bathroom shelf, I will change it for a wooden one like in the other rooms. You are right that the shower can be a bit tricky, which is why we provide simple instructions on how to get a powerful hot shower to soothe away any tensions. I am sorry you struggled with this but if you were to visit again, all the issues you found would be resolved easily and you could even participate with us in one of our full moon sweat lodges to help you have a more relaxing and fun experience.