“Great Hospedaje”

Ranked #18 of 30 Ollantaytambo B&B and Inns
Butte, Montana
“Great Hospedaje”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights and overall was the best place we stayed at during our two week trip in Peru (short, but sweet).

Cali (owner/operator) was absolutely fantastic and full of helpful information about the town, sights, and the surrounding area. He also spoke English if our Spanish wasn't up to snuff per the conversation. He asked for S/70 for a double bed with private bath - we asked if S/60 was okay, and he said "claro!" ("of course"). On a few occasions he broke large bills for us, since the ATM only gives 50/100 bills and local shops and market vendors often won't take those - huge help.

Our double room/private bath was on the small side, but fine enough for our needs. Unfortunately, we didn't figure out the shower's hot water system until the last day. ASK HOW THE HOT WATER WORKS - many prior complaints about the water not working are likely due to misunderstanding how the electric water system functions - it DOES work! Mattress was hard and uncomfortable, but had an awesome down comforter and stayed cozy. The building also had a fantastic third level roofed terrace where you could sit and see the town and mountains on all sides - beautiful!!

Breakfast was the standard breakfast you'd get at most other eco/budget places - complimentary bread, butter, jam, and instant coffee. Totally satisfying for our simple needs. Our final day, Cali offered to make us fried eggs - sooo delicious!

Other complaints on this review I've noted is the lack of room service during the day - that might be standard by higher class American/Western expectations, but don't expect that at this lovely, affordable hostel -- it's really not necessary, in my opinion. My rating is docked one star solely due to the uncomfortable bed and lack of a window in the room. All other aspects of the hostel were fantastic. It was clean, quiet, colorful, tactful atmosphere, and all around a joy to be at.

Room Tip: Our room lacked a window, so was fairly dark - perhaps ask to see a few rooms to compare.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed here based on a 4.5/5 from TripAdvisor. I would not rate it this high. Several items listed on there sight that they had, they didn't.

PROS: Good Location. Great View of the area. Friendly staff.

CONS: Internet didn't work in the room. Didn't clean the room between days. Shower has no hot water. Expensive for what you get.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jarvjo
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We are having a great time here. So happy we found this place instead of staying over in Agues Callientes. The rooms are spaceous with new matresses and feather duvets. Nice and clean. Showers are hot (essential after Machu Picchu). V.friendly and helpful staff. Fresh breakfast (ask if you want cooked cos they dont push it on you, only 5 soles extra). Perfect location, seconds from the square but without the noise. Definitely recommend this place.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I arrived in the early morning before my room was ready. The owner was very friendly and accommodating, giving me a tour and explaining different things that I could do with my short time in town. I took her advice and went out exploring, and when I got back I was shown to my room. I stayed in the all-female room, which was excellent - very clean and colorful, with super comfortable beds. It was a shame the room only seemed to have two outlets. Be careful about the girl's shower - touch only the plastic part of the handle and not the metal part because it will shock you. Oh, and the view from the roof terrace is beautiful! I highly recommend this hostel if you stop by Ollantaytambo.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Definitely one of the best hostels during my 3 month adventure! The rooms are large, bright, beautifully decorated and clean, the showers really ARE hot, and the staff wonderfully helpful.
Plenty of suggestions for local activities and wifi help above and beyond the call of duty.
The roof terrace has amazing panoramic views, day and night.
Brilliant, friendly service at breakfast- I'd love to return!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were so lucky that the sumac hostal offered the 24 h service as we arrived late in the night in Ollantaytambo. The rooms were really nice and comfi. The two owners helped us a lot and suggested good walks and activities, They also have a really nice roof top from where you can overlook the whole village and the surrounding ruins.
The only little thing that could be improved are the showers. Anyway, I would really recommend it to everyone!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

A friendly hostal within a minute's walk of Plaza de Armas, which is very easy to find (theirs find us information is spot on).
Made to feel very welcome by the owners and would happily stay here again when's in the area.

• Stayed September 2013