“Warm and friendly”
Review of La Casa del Abuelo

La Casa del Abuelo
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I loved my visit to Ollantaytambo and my stay with Katie and Henry. They were incredibly gracious and welcoming and helpful. I was there on Christmas day and they invited me to eat a traditional dinner with them, which was incredibly generous and kind. I was always greeted not only with a smile, but an inquiry into my day and my travels. It really felt like I was with dear friends. Thank you Katie and Henry! I highly recommend this hotel while visiting Ollantay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kate M
There are newer reviews for La Casa del Abuelo

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We ended up bookending our trip to Machu Picchu with 2 nights here total. The owners, Henry and Catti, are very friendly and helpful. They did our laundry and had it ready for us after we returned from our 1 night stay in Aguas Calientes. The rooms were clean and the beds seem new with tons of blankets and fresh towels. There is a view of the ruins from the laundry area upstairs and probably from some rooms. The breakfast was included because we booked on booking.com. We had fresh papaya juice, instant coffee, scrambled (or fried) eggs and bread and jam for breakfast every morning. Henry also plays a great selection of music at breakfast. Since we were waiting for a night train to Aguas Calientes they kept our bags for us and let us hang out in the lounge area downstairs and gave us hot water to make coca tea after we had visited the ruins and walked around town. On our last morning there, they booked a taxi for us to visit the ruins of Moray and the salt flats in Maras on our way back to Cusco. Our room on the 1st floor corner near the street seemed to have a sewer leak since the bathroom smelt a bit funny. Our friends had no problem with their bathroom in the room next door. The only other thing I would change would be to have prices listed in both soles and USD on the booking.com website or at the hotel intself, since prices were listed in USD and the exchange rate used to calculate our room fees by our hostess at the end of our stay was 2.9 when the going rate for us around Peru has been 2.8. But this listing of prices in USD and inflation of the conversion rate seems to be a problem in many places around Peru.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank vaneysa
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We decided to stay here because it was near the ruins, we thought it would be quiet on a side street, and the price was very cheap. Also, the couple, Henry and Katie who run the place are very nice and helpful. I was shown two rooms to choose from - one of which was a bit dreary and musty so I chose the one on the street side. Unfortunately, there is a street light directly above that room that shines into the room all night, which made it really hard for me to sleep. Also, we were woken during the night by drunk people yelling in the street below. We explained the problem and were told to pack up our things and that they would move us to another room while we were gone during the day. They moved us to the room next door - which was even closer to the music from the bar next door and it did not solve the street noise or light problem as there is a small window over the outside door that the light still streamed into. When we asked for another option we were shown the musty room again. I know they tried to help out, but be insistent about your room choice even if you have to pay a bit more in order to get a good night's sleep! Breakfast is 8 soles extra per person but we opted to go out instead.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street to avoid street noise and light problems
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeannie G
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I read the reviews from the previous guests, looking forward to my stay at the hotel. I made my reservations and arrangements in advance. The owners are friendly but this place is very small and doesn`t have gardens, just cold bricks, there is a lot of noise from the trucks that are passing by, all the time, breakfast was awful and cold. The only good thing that we enjoyed was the bar that is next to this place. I wish they could have a page to review the bar anyway the place is called QUECHUAS and have really good coca sour.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nigel A
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice because the owners were so friendly and helpful. Found it very welcoming and comfortable. And fresh towels daily which is nice! Can't remember if breakfast was included but it has a great location. Loved it!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Teekikat88
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights and had the corner room on the first floor with some beautiful views of the opposite mountain. Rooms were made up every day and we got fresh towels as well. The owners were friendly and chatty and Henry went out of his way to call our chosen accommodation in Aguas Calientes. Thank you, Henry.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have been staying here for a month now and I feel home. It is like a family for me.
The service is very good, all what you can expect from a hotel. What is best compared to some hotels is that they are very friendly and I have seen that they always welcome who may enter with a big smile.
If the door might be closed sometimes, it is because it is windy in Ollantaytambo and as the reception makes you feel like you are in your living room, the door is closed to keep the place warm. But don't hesitate to knock at the door until someone comes to open !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business