“Very nice people, clean room”
Review of La Casa del Abuelo

La Casa del Abuelo
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My experience with this place was good from the start. I was looking to stay twice on either end of a Machu Picchu trip. I wanted a single room and from the pics the images looked kinda dark. I emailed them and they quickly responded with more images and information about there being a second single room on the third floor with more light and exterior windows. They booked me there despite no credit card needed to reserve the room. The hotel is located near the main part of Ollantaytambo and a short 10 minute walk to the train station. It's two minutes from some pretty cool ruins. The single room was small but quite clean. Hot water in the shower. Wifi wasn't the strongest but not sure anything is in this town. The bed wasn't the most comfortable but warm sheets. There is a lamp, small desk and plenty of electrical outlets. The room had a small narrow exterior window and a bigger "interior" window that essentially was an exterior window because despite it facing the interior of the hotel the third floor has one side open, which let in a lot of light. The hotel was quiet at night, but construction from next door with hammering during the day.

The owners made this place great. They were very kind and accommodating. Always friendly, allowed me to keep a bag there.

Overall, this is still Peru, and still Ollantaytambo, so don't expect luxury, that's why I couldn't give it a five, but I think this place does the trick. I would consider them for your stay.

And one more tip. For the love of all things holy, do yourself a favor and minimize any stay in Aguas Clainetes / Macchu Picchu Pueblo. I thought it would be a good idea to stay two nights for a full day at Machu Picchu. You can do that with a one night stay. The town is terrible in every meaning of the word. Take a late train back and stay at at this nice place in Ollantaytambo. Trust me!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Coloradical13

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Wifi very slow and the area is quite noisy so sometimes had trouble sleeping but the staff is absolutely amazing! Amazing view from the room. Ollantaytambo is very small so all restaurants are close by. We loved our stay here..

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had established a friendly relationship with Catty through the Internet and, in fact, postponed my trip to Peru so that I could go to her hostel, because during March they were closing for maintenance. I wanted to go to Machu Picchu from Ollantaytambo and avoid Aguas Calientes. It was absolutely the right decision. The hostel is modern and clean and Catty and Henry are really professional, even though they know how to make a place feel like home. They want to make their place better and asked for our suggestions, which seemed very welcome (my husband, who is an architect, recommended a bar to avoid slipping in the shower). The shower is hot and Henry takes care of it if something is amiss. We hung out with them and two lovely long-stay guests from Canada, played with little Micaela, enjoyed the good breakfast (fresh bread, fresh orange juice, eggs and soon they will have a working Espresso machine) and followed their recommendations about restaurants. Catty and Henry came from Arequipa to work at the Hearts Cafe, which I will review, and so did their friends Mino and Sabrina at the Piccolo Forno. It is a lovely network of people in the wonderful, small, cozy Ollantaytambo. We had a very nice room toward the back and the duvet was even too warm for the chilly night. We are very tall so the bed might have been a little small for the two of us but it was a small inconvenience. We missed La Casa del Abuelo after we left for Pisac. The hosts are wonderful and it is a really good place. Henry recommended his friend Augusto to take us to Maras, Moray and Pisac, and he was an excellent driver and a great person, who took great care of leaving us in good hands (a moto-taxi guy he knew) in Pisac, here it is not that easy.

Room Tip: Choose a room toward the back. All the rooms are on the second floor. The noise from the river is lo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

What a lovely place! Catty and Henry take loving care of the hostel and of their guests. The rooms are fresh and squaky clean. I really enjoyed sleeping under a deliciously warm, light-weight duvet rather than the 4-ton wool blankets that are standard fare in Andean hostels. Unexpected surprise: I found in my room a little packet of shampoo, a small candy bar and a bottle of water. Though I had to leave quite early, the hosts were there with a real breakfast. I felt as though I were leaving long-time friends. A wonderful experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed here after a long (but incredible!) day at Machu Picchu. Ollantaytambo is beautiful and it was nice to wake up here rather than in Aguas Calientes. We arrived late and were greeted with a smile and a clean, cozy and comfortable room. The owners are SO nice and have an adorable baby girl. They even had a gift of delicious chocolates from a local store waiting for my daughter in honor of her birthday that day. Breakfast was served in the sunny and bright lobby area and was delicious! We loved this place and definitely recommend it as THE place to stay in Ollantaytambo!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

By far, this was the best place to stay in all of Peru. Finally a clean, hot shower with pressure, clean beds and rooms. Very friendly hosts that can even give you a to-go breakfast in the morning for Machu Picchu. Very cheap prices. Highly recommended!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SCM84
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was there few months ago and I could't find a better place to stay like this La Casa del Abuelo, the owner are very friendly we can talk like older friends... the food was excellent!! Henry is a very good chef... delicious food!! the location is close everywhere...the room nice and clean..for sure the next time I will stop by again!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends