“clean and simple”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Barcelona, Spain
“clean and simple”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon and were shown to our rooms.They were spotlessly clean but very simple. The bathrooms were adequate but the ambience was lacking.The same man seemed to be carrying out every possible combination - receptionist, waiter and porter - helpful in a disinterested way. The dining room was okay and the food edible.The positionof the hotel was excellent for the station.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
California City, California
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This hotel is comfortably located, and the employees are kind enough. They will not go the extra mile and sometimes you have to convince them to help you, but overall they are okay.

There are a few issues: unclean rooms. The sheets and towels are good, but the room hasn't received a mop for about a few months. I felt disgusted to find some dirt under my bed, but luckily I stopped here for a few hours only, on my way from Aguas Calientes to Maras and Moray.

Hot water is another issue. As mentioned in other reviews, water doesn't come out hot. Sometimes it's lukewarm and some people mentioned that it will not even get to that point. As I stayed for 1 night, it wasn't a big deal, but I don't think I could handle several days without hot water, specially after all the hiking activities that you do in the area during the day.

Then, the breakfast is nice, but the coffee is instant. When a hotel charges USD 50, the coffee better be "real". A major problem in Peru, which has outstanding coffee plantations and one of the best coffee beans you can taste. Yet, some medium ranged hotels still give you Nescafe for breakfast. This is a bit disappointing, specially before starting your hiking.

The location is great and the rooms are beautifully located. You can open your window in the morning and view the snowed peaks from your room and the whole setting feels like someone's home. I believe that the staff could go a bit farther and make this hotel a blast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Ollantaytambo hotels

Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We thankfully only stayed one night here. We had to wake the receptionist up at 4pm to get in and were not made to feel welcome. The room was basic but Ok. When I tried to have a shower a trickle of cold water came out. I queried this with the disinterested receptionist who said wait 15 minutes. I did still no water. I resigned myself to no shower. It was still not working in the morning. The place has the potential to be nice as it is in a quiet location with a nice garden but they need to train their staff and maintain the property.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I stayed at Ollantaytambo lodge a couple months ago. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The staff was horribly rude and almost demeaning towards us. We had a reservation but our room was not ready upon arrival, even though we arrived late in the day. In addition, the room was dirty and not nearly worth the money we spent. But honestly, this place could be alright if it weren't for the staff, who are just some of the rudest people I've ever met. This place needs to learn what customer service is if it ever wants to succeed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrissyd607
Schenectady, NY
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Making a reservation with this hotel was a nightmare. I literally had to call them 12 times to make a simple reservation. Then, upon arrival, they did not have my reservation. I left and went elsewhere. The people who work here do not know what client service. They're also just awful, horrible people. Do not ever stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travelgal588
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights here on our way to Machu Picchu in May 2012 and enjoyed the lodge. It was well situated, had a better than average breakfast for hostels of this sort and the staff was helpful. The rooms were clean and quiet, and there was a lovely courtyard in the center. Staff was really good about storing our luggage for 2 days when we went to Machu Picchu. We would stay here again. Also there was a sitting room with 2 couches right outside our bedroom that was very comfortable for reading and provided privacy.

Room Tip: We were in the back of the lodge where it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I spent a single, horrendous night at the lodge. I am a 25 year old male with fairly modest hotel expectations, but this place was horrible. This hotel was (shockingly) recommended to me by my Inca Trail tour company. The people at the front desk were terribly rude and so unaccommodating that I actually felt a bit unsafe. Since it was late, and there were packs of wild dogs roaming the street outside this awful property, I decided to just stick it out for a single night.

The room was infested with spiders and had a view of a junk yard. In the morning, breakfast was composed of rotten cheese, stale bread, and empty bowls that were never filled marked "pancakes" and "scrambled eggs."

Overall, I would never ever ever go here again, and recommend that my fellow travelers avoid it whenever possible.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends