“Excellent experience!!!”

Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Urubamba
Caracas, Distrito Federal, Venezuela
“Excellent experience!!!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Located in the Sacred Valley, Aranwa is a beautiful hotel with amazing views, rooms and services. The SPA is a perfect alternative to relax and enjoy your trip, specially the treatment called the Vichi Shower, which you can enjoy and relax for more than an hour!!
We had an excellent experience, totaly recomended!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oscar S, Gerente at Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your comments and impressions of the Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness, we really appreciate your comments shared with Trip Advisor and words motivate us to keep improving.
I am extremely happy to know that you had a enjoyable stay and great time in Urubamba! I will make sure to share your comments with my team.
About our UNNO SPA, offers the perfect escape to the enigmatic world of the inca´s ancient wisdom, contact with nature and full indulgence, where everything that exists around you is designed and created just for your satisfaction.
I hope that maybe one day you will decide to stay with us again and if you require any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel was beyond anything that I could have imagined! There were alpaca on the premises, fountains, beautiful landscaping, the rooms were gorgeous and the hotel staff was the most kind and friendly! The spa is fantastic and the massage was one of the deepest I have had. I would absolutely recommend this hotel if you are in the Sacred Valley.

Room Tip: Any room here is a good room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest:
I am extremely happy to know that you and your family had a enjoyable stay and great time in Urubamba! I will make sure to share your comments with my team.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 10 August 2014

As soon as we arrived we noticed the beautiful and great views of the hotel property. We were given a river suite which had a separate living and bathroom with jacuzzi. The hotel is missing a 5 stars only for some service gaps. Staff needs to have more training on customer service, don't take me wrong they are great and have a very nice treatment to the guests but additional training for excellence is needed. The great minus of this hotel is the price of the food. A pisco sour which in the best bar in Lima is 20S/. here is 30S/. And for food the quality is mediocre and nothing to remember about , prices are outrageous starting with a lomo saltado for 55 S/. when in the best restaurants in Lima will cost around 35S/. So I do think this hotel is catered to getting as much money as they can from a tourist. Was picked up from the train station in Ollantaytambo for 40 USD which is aprox 115 S/. when the taxi ride costs 35S/. Things like that make me real angry with the hotel but deff I would return just make your homework and take drinks (water bottle is 15S/. aprox 6 USD) which is just too much but there is nothing near the hotel so do be prepared for those prices. Spa is very nice but they charge as being in the USA and is not the dream massage either. In general is a very nice hotel but with some crazy prices for being Peru and not Europe.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GiancarloA330
Dear Guest:
About our prices, are prepared taking into consideration the transport of inputs and the distance to the city, making it more expensive to have all these comforts in the middle of the valley
About our UNNO SPA, offers the perfect escape to the enigmatic world of the inca´s ancient wisdom, contact with nature and full indulgence, where everything that exists around you is designed and creted just for your satisfaction.
Livermore, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was an amazing option for a 5-star stay. It had it all and the grounds were just beautiful with lamas roaming, a little chapel and a lovely pool. There was also a movie theater. Rooms are very spacious and beautifully decorated, with comfy beds, spa bath and large showers. Spa is great and offers interesting treatments with Peruvian ingredients and aromatic herbs! Service is very good and front desk staff were absolutely helpful and polite. Food and breakfast buffet was delicious and food selection is excellent. Breakfast buffet opens at 6:00 am which is a big plus for those of us who had early departures. Location is very good to visit Machu Picchu, Ollantaytambo, Chincheros, Salineras, Moray and Pisac.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank PSchicke
Dear Guest:
Remember, our breakfast buffet opens at 5.00am.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family & I recently stayed at this beautiful hotel. We had recently completed the Inca Trail & this was a very welcome Oasis to rest. The staff are friendly & helpful, the rooms spacious & the twin spa bath was fantastic after trekking the Inca Trail. The pool area & gardens are stunning. We wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest:
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Aranwa Sacred Valley as part of our 10 day Peru trip back in mid-July 2014. It was first recommended to us by our tour operator as a place to stay while we were at Sacred Valley. After much research on Tripadvisor, my top choice was actually the Tambo Del Inka (it came highly recommended by a friend and it is a Starwood!). But when we found out the price difference, we figured we will just stick with the Aranwa. It doesn’t look that bad -and we were right. While it was decidedly not a 5* luxury hotel (as they try to advertise it as), for that area it was comfortable and made for a pleasant stay. The grounds kind of reminded me of an upscale school camp site. Definitely a solid 4*.

Location:
After a 2 hour car ride from Cusco, you will eventually reach the little town of Urubamba, which literally spans the valley as you wound your way down the mountain. Remember to get your driver to stop at the look out spot for a picture. But don’t worry if you don’t the first time, you will be going past this spot many times throughout your stay. The main reason for staying in Urubamba (and why there are so many resorts in the area) are:

1. It is only 2800m above sea level (vs. 3400m in Cusco), which makes it an excellent place for tourists to acclimatize to the high altitudes.

2. It is ideally located within a hour or so of key attractions in the region including Morays, Ollantaytambo, Pisac Market etc. To be specific, it is only about 1 hour or so to Morays and Pisac, and 20 minutes to Ollantaytambo. And from Ollantaytambo, it is only another hour or so train ride to Aguas Caliente (the base town of Machu Picchu). In comparison, on our way back from Machu Picchu to Cusco it was 4+ hour by train and anoth

We didn’t exactly spend any time exploring the town of Urubamba, but besides some hidden gems of restaurants which served pretty decent food behind some very unsuspecting facades, there did not seem to be much to write home about.

Hotel grounds and facilities:

As many people have commented on, the hotel is welcome sight after a long journey there. But that is just because of the sharp contrast between what is outside the gates (absolutely nothing) and behind it. The entrance and the lobby are actually quite basic and a frankly a bit dated. For example, we suspect that the circular thing on the driveway was once a fountain (perhaps it was just turned off because it is dry season?). On the bright side, there is coca tea in the lobby, and the check-in process was relatively smooth.

The centerpiece of the hotel is most definitely the grounds. It is beautifully landscaped centered around an authentically ancient church (it definitely smelt old!) surrounded by a pond/pool (and the Andes mountains on either side!), with 3 llamas and a couple of peacocks running around paths lined with gorgeous flowers. The outdoor pool and jacuzzi is one of the best places to enjoy the view. Too bad it was too cold to swim when we went. The jacuzzi is heated for those brave souls who want to test the Andes winter and enjoy the view. There is even a fully functioning horse carriage to complete the picture. Definitely take the time to explore and enjoy the grounds. For photographers, the best light is in the morning. It is actually somewhat gloomy in the afternoon as the sunlight is blocked by the mountains.

Besides the grounds, there are also:

- a basic gym for those who want to work out at this altitude
- a spa, though we did not try it out since the prices were US like!
- a photography museum, not that impressive
- an indoor orchid garden behind the museum which was even less impressive – where were the orchids?
- a couple of souvineer shops which screams overpriced
- a library, which was actually really cool, as it comes complete with excellent wifi, a warm sitting area and a mini cinema. This turned out to be an excellent place to watch the World Cup with a bottle of Peruvian beer!

The hotel also claim to have free activities like fishing on the river, which we thought was really cool. But when we asked about it, the reception didn’t seem to know what we were talking about, and on further inquiry claimed that the fishing equipment was broken….. if it is broken, don’t advertise it!

Hotel dining:

Because the hotel is so isolated, unless you are driving, be prepared to eat many meals here. In general, we thought the food was decent. Since breakfast was included, and our tour guide suggested that we take a light dinner in order to adjust to the altitude (and our lunch was so huge), we didn’t eat much and dinner wasn’t too expensive. On average I would say it is around US$10-20/head.

- Breakfast: While the buffet-style spread looked extensive, I personally only found a few things I wanted to eat (I’m a very picky eater). My go-to was the toast and the egg station (egg stations are the best!). The meat both cold and warm frankly did not look that appetizing.
- Dinner at the bar: The bar actually serves food from both room service and the main dining room, offering a variety of local and international cuisine (so if you are like me, you can enjoy pasta and a club sandwich). For our first night, the concierge somehow suggested we go to the bar. So we did. And while there wasn’t that many people there, it took our food 1 hour to reach us!! And this is only after we complained and threatened to leave (this was our first night, and after days of travelling we just wanted to go to bed)!! Over all the food was decent, though I would say that my chicken soup did contain way too much MSG.
- Main dining room: The service at the restaurant was much better. And we enjoyed a good meal there.
- Room service: The service was surprisingly quick, and the food when it arrived was still piping hot.

Hotel rooms:

The Aranwa is horizontally spread out, with a lot of outdoor space. Good thing it never rained when we were there. Hotel rooms are located in 2 storey blocks, a couple of minutes walk from the main buildings. As I mentioned, an upscale school camp.

Our Deluxe Rooms were on the second floor and are supposedly already more modern than the regular rooms. But to be honest it was still very dated.

Pros:

- The rooms are very spacious, lots of space to put suitcases and move around etc.
It was clean enough
- It includes a big balcony (great if one likes to stare into bushes)
- The separate design of the bathroom, sink and shower is kind of weird (would’ve preferred a door or wall to separate it from the main room), but great for room sharing
- The bath area comes with a humongous tub/private jacuzzi

Cons:

- The room is obviously dated
- They are still using those old, heavy, ugly brown fleece blankets between sheets to keep you warm- I consider this a feature of the days gone by and shudder to come into direct contact with it
- If you don’t close your door fast enough, lots of little flies will come in. But they don’t bite and are very slow moving. I killed over 10 of them hovering over my bedside lamp. Not exactly their fault, but its winter. You’d think that they can grow some sort of plants to deter these insects.
- Wifi reception was poor, good thing we had 3G!
- The shower was weak, and the tub took almost a hour to fill up. The bath area was also freezing!
- The hotel provided products… let’s just say it’s a good thing I always carry my own products.
- Takes 3 steps to open the TV, and awkwardly hangs on the ceiling (perfect for bed time TV watching I guess)
- The heating was also extremely drying
- Oh and most importantly, they are EXTREMELY STINGY about bottled water. Each room is only provided 2 complimentary bottles per night. You can’t drink tap water in Peru. They charge you an arm and a leg for bottled water at the restaurant. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere. BRING WATER!

Conclusion:

Taking everything into account, despite its age and little kinks, we think that the Aranwa Sacred Valley is a solid 4* hotel. It could definitely use a renovation, but regardless, it makes for a decent place to stay if you are looking for somewhere in Sacred Valley with a mid-range price tag.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank barneysgirl
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Objectively, this is a beautiful hotel, with good service and impeccably manicured gardens. If you are looking for a spa retreat in the Sacred Valley, this probably would be an excellent location. However, if you are on an international trip and want to experience Peru, the hotel is a bit weird. The entire property is gated and separate from the surrounding community, and feels a bit like a cruise ship with several restaurants all operated out of the same kitchen, scheduled movies, and planted pet llamas that are moved around the property. My biggest complaint is that whatever you want to do, you are at their whim. You are stuck eating their food, and if you want to leave property you are stuck paying high end taxi fares. There is nowhere walking distance from the hotel, so by our fourth day at this hotel we were feeling a little stir crazy. Additionally, the number of staff seemed to fluctuate, and the hotel seemed to rely largely on large tour groups. Certain days different restaurants and bars would be open and certain days they would not, and when we went to the spa most of the hydrotherapy equipment was not running.
It is an asthetically beautiful hotel, but more so for a conference or retreat then a good Sacred Valley destination.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fltraveller83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Inti Nan Hotel
Inti Nan Hotel
#5 of 26 in Urubamba
Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay

Been to Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness? Share your experiences!