“Excelent hotel. Extremely confortable”

Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I have choosen Rio Sagrado hotel through other reviews in Tripadvisor.

The hotel exceed my high expectations. The staff is super professional and friendly, the place is amazingly beautyful. We loved the SPA, the room, the location.

The rooms are big, charming and confortable. You can confortably shower watching the river and the Andes above.

I super reccomend it for families and couples.

Guilherme Farhat Ferraz

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Rofner, Manager at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2010

Dear Guilherme,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent exprerience at Rio Sagrado with fellow Tripadvisor members. We are very pleased to know that other Tripadvisor comments were helpful when making the decision to stay with us. We are also very pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the positive feedback, we hope to see you and your family back in the future.

Best regards,

Rodrigo Ofner
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 18 July 2010

The hotel has the best views of the river. Just beautiful and very peaceful to wake up too. The staff is great and very helpful. Many of the staff members are native to the Sacred Valley or Cusco which gave insight of the land, culture and events.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This nicely located hotel is far to expensive, and has no facilities.

We stayed here in a junior suite that had no television, no refridgerator or minibar in the room and no working internet (this they blamed on a general faillure in town but we just don't believe this because we found out later that other locations did have internet). At these rates (usd 285 a night) this is just very hard to understand.

In the suite there is this ridiculous bathroom. When you take a shower, the whole world can see you! We discovered this to late.
When my wife was having a shower we cought a gardner of the hotel watching her!!! This is really NOT a nice experience. The manager of the place was very sorry about the event and tried to made it up with a bottle of wine. This was nice of course but is really not enough to compensate the dammage done. (my wife is still upset about it) We don't care if the gardner is fired or not, it is just stupid to design a bathroom like this. As a sollution they did put a cloth at the outside, so we could have a normal shower during the rest of our staying.
(By the way, a walk through the garden learned us that almost all suites have the same problem).

Some other things.
There is no decent door to the bathroom so you have to turn on the radio when your partner is using the toilet.
The drinks at the bar are far to expensive for the service. A glass of whisky is just as expensive as a whole bottle at the supermarket and they let you wait for at least 20 minutes!

Unless you fancy nudism and like to throw away money we really recommend you not to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mpw001
Rofner, Manager at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with other Trip Advisor readers your recent experience at Rio Sagrado Hotel. Your feedback provides us with important information on how to continue improving our service in order to offer you and all our guests a remarkable experience.

Our hotel concept is one of peace and tranquility. We aim to provide our guests with a beautiful location where they can disconnect from reality and focus instead on themselves and the true beauty of Nature; therefore our rooms have no television. Regarding the Internet service, we have a Wi-Fi connection in all the areas of the Hotel including all of our rooms & villas, and I sincerely apologize for the problems experienced during your stay.

I would like to address the issue on our showers. As we conversed during your stay, we have a high value on our location and like to show our guests the beauty that surrounds us. All our showers, although made of glass to provide a view to the river, are properly covered with vast plants and flowers. On the other hand, as I am sure you perceived during your stay, every member of our staff is proud to be part of our hotel and company, and have a strong sence of respect for our guests; therefore, as you mentioned to me as well, there is not a doubt this was an involuntary issue. As you might recall, you were kindly offered to switch rooms to one where you felt more comfortable and you only asked us to cover the shower with a cloth.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to have you back with us in the future.

Rodrigo Ofner
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 May 2010

You can not beat the setting for this Hotel. It is located in a beautiful valley along a river and beside the mountains, you are one with nature. The grounds are quiet and beautiful. We were there in May and the temperature was great and I could enjoy sitting by the flowing river listening to nature. It was perfect. The room was awesome, modern with touches of Peru. A large rain shower with a window that made you feel like you were showing in the forest. Excellent service. The food was terrific. I am counting the days until I can spend a week in this Paradise retreat. My only regret is that I was only there for 1 day.
I was with family but this I recommend this most as a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This hotel has everything you could ever want out of a relaxing hotel, from the moment you walk in you dont have to lift a finger and the service is top class. The spa offers an outside jacuzzi wich provides a divine sence of relaxation. The huerto restorant is the perfect way to be introduced to peruvian cuisine, and even one of the owners of the otel at the time came to speak with us at the bar were we enjoyed the rio sagrado a drink original to the hotel. The expiriance was great and we realy recomend it, it is real relaxation without the comotion of big hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Having traveled much of the world, I can unequivocally tell you this is by the far the most exotic, comfortable and beautiful place I have ever 'laid head to a pillow". The place is set along the the banks of the roaring Rio Urubamba, the very same 'Sacred River'
than rings Machu Picchu further downstream. Tthe owner, who was delightful by the way, has done an incredible job of building a series of 2 and 4 room units evocative of an Incan citadel with endless stone walls and stairways leading to the many levels of manicured lawns of this hillside complex. But the best part is the overflowing flower gardens that literally blanket the place and make it seem so magical. Top it off with stunning views, innovative Andean cuisine, and unfailingly friendly and attentive staff, and I can truthfully say I still dream of revisiting this resort just about every day. Hummingbirds and butterflies abound and the owner achieved what he set out to do; provide modern, comfortable and spacious rooms to retire to at night, but a physical setting that beckons you to spend all day outside in the sun and wandering through the fantastic gardens. Oh, just so you know, there are no TVs here, and by God it would be sacrilege to have them in a place like this. Photos simply do not do this place justice!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2009

I had the good fortune to spend a night and have dinner at this beautiful hotel on my way up the sacred valley to the Inca Trail. I have stayed at 5 Star resorts all over the world and yet the Rio Sagrado still took my breath away. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a touch of elegance in the Urubamba Valley.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado
#1 of 29 in Urubamba
7 mi away
Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness
Belmond Palacio Nazarenas

Been to Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado? Share your experiences!